Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 AM

223 posts, read 255,924 times

Advertisements

Your income would deem her ineligible for medicaid (married couples are unable to file as separate individuals). Your income exceeds the maximum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Hi all -
Long story short, my wife lost her well paying professional job of over 15 years this year due to cutbacks at her company, but I am still working thankfully. She is now on my health insurance but it stinks since it has huge deductibles.

We decided to start a family this year since she is out of work and it will allow her to be with baby for a few months until she goes back to work fulltime in early 2017, until then we are a single income family.

Her bills have started rolling in from the doctor visits and they are pretty nuts, we are in the hook for the first $4000 until my insurance kicks in 100%.

She was recently approved for unemployment insurance payments which is great and it helps us out, wondering if this would also help her get medicaid during pregnancy so that we can use it as secondary insurance?

Thanks
you didn't consider cobra?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:49 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Her sister assured her that she could file for Medicaid without my income being counted. I thought that to be impossible since we are married.

Cobra was very expensive per month and not worth it.

We will just continue paying out of pocket until I hit my maximum out of pocket limit as originally planned. Thanks all

Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
High-deductible health plans are the devil.

Do you have an FSA or HSA to help with expenses? If not, I would recommend signing up for it for next year. It's the only way to survive with these plans.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

Do you have an FSA or HSA to help with expenses? If not, I would recommend signing up for it for next year. It's the only way to survive with these plans.
Yep I have an fsa of $1600 so I have to pay out of pocket after I hit $1600 up to about $4300

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
[quote=Werdywerd;44430976]Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Her sister assured her that she could file for Medicaid without my income being counted. I thought that to be impossible since we are married.

/QUOTE]

Yes. How can she apply for Medicaid if your household income is over the Medicaid limit?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 AM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

most regular health plans now have deductibles and out of pockets in the thousands like the aca plan's or my plan . but they cannot have an hsa account contributed to for the coverage of those expenses . they are not considered high deductible health plans which have far higher deductibles and out of pockets .

fsa's are only good if the company offers them . many have stopped . they got burned to many times by employees maxing out and then leaving the company . most folks end up forfeiting nothing back . they always find a way to use the fsa up .

aca plans can have a 6400.00 out of pocket max for an individual who is unsubsidized . my regular plan is a 2500.00 deductible today up from 250.00 a few years ago and it only covers me . it still beats an aca plan .

being retired our health insurance is one major expense . even medicare and a supplement plan can run 5-6k per person with no dental , hearing aids or glasses ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-16-2016 at 02:45 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Her sister assured her that she could file for Medicaid without my income being counted. I thought that to be impossible since we are married.

l
No, she can't. They count household income.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:

Cobra was very expensive per month and not worth it.

We will just continue paying out of pocket until I hit my maximum out of pocket limit as originally planned. Thanks all
Unless your sister in law worked for an insurance company, you should have disregarded her advice and asked an expert or your own insurance company. You should go through your health insurance policy now and find out what they will or won't cover for the rest of the pregnancy. You don't need any further surprises.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:27 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
So are you saying that you don't get covered at all until you hit $4,000? Or is $4,000 your out-of-pocket limit? Those are usually two different amounts.

The out-of-pocket limit means that you get reimbursed 100% after reaching that amount.

For instance, my family deductible is $2,000, and my family out-of-pocket maximum is $4,000.

Wouldn't it be worth it for your wife to apply for Obamacare? If she was recently laid off, she would qualify. Your income, though, would count, so I imagine she would not be eligible for subsidies, and the cost would be fairly high. Still, it might not hurt to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City