Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 AM

17 posts, read 58,215 times

Advertisements

There are insane amounts of people on multiple threads that insist on bashing ny. okay yes we know that the living in nyc is expensive, and yes we all know that the homeless people on the streets asking for a bite of your egg mckmuffin can get annoying, we all know that ny is not the cleanest place, or the easiest to get around with the hoards of people, and that the chances of getting hit by a taxi are high..but through all that, me being a young woman living in nyc i still ADORE IT. It takes a certain kind of person to live in nyc, as many of you are asking if you're "fit" to live here.. you have to take on the bad sides of ny, and the good. There is a certain "griddy charm" about the streets of ny, but through it all I really believe there is no place in the world like it.

To all those who want to move out here and are only getting false hope and getting discouraged, I made this thread so you can get the bad AND THE GOOD points of view about living in nyc from the true new yorkers.

Anyone feel free to say whatever you want, just PLEASE don't bash nyc without stating at least one good part of it, everybody loves nyc..just some find more to love than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,306,399 times
Was born in Brooklyn NYC. Hail from Flatbush and when I am cut, I bleed white castles and I use timberland boots for house slippers. In school, I knew people from all over the globe. In the hood I knew the smartest of the smart, the lowest of the low and the righteous of the righteous. I have since moved out of state. During this time I have lived in and or visited over a dozen states and cities. In that time I realized one thing. There is no city in America that is as dynamic as NYC is.

A lot of people who complain about NYC are people who have never lived in other states. When they do (MANY not all) realize real quick "oh snap, NYC real is the ish". I live in South Florida and I can tell you for fact, this place is more expensive than living in NYC. I have spent time in Nashville, now that is cheaper than NYC however the prices are high given the local median income. Also the homeless problem there is absurd. Also doesn't offer even a 3rd of what NYC has to offer in terms of amenities and quality of life. My point is, just about any metro area in America has the same issues i.e. high cost of living, homeless issues and congestion; so don't think its NYC.

NYC = the truth (thats right, i said it)

Old 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM

"when i am cut, i bleed white castles"

hahahaa, so very true for myself as well =]

Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,464,345 times
the energy. you just can't find that anywhere.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM

957 posts, read 3,342,546 times
I don't live there, but when I am there, I appreciate that the city is still alive and kickin at 2 am. I look out of my home now and the streets are dead at midnight. Oh and you can get just about anything and everything delivered to you in Manhattan at least-don't know about the other boroughs. That I love!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,614,213 times
I guess it has to do with the fact that this is home. We know the city, the people, the vibe. We treat NYC as if it was a person. No, more like a family member. NYC to me is a living, breathing organisim. Like with anyone, you get tired from time-to-time. You want to leave and see what life is like on the other side of the fence (well... tunnell or bridge) Some people like the other side. Some don't. That is NYC for you.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,987,431 times
I love the gentrification, yuppies, hipsters etc

Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM

757 posts, read 3,354,058 times
Convenience. I have 21 movie screens within four blocks. Post office on the next block, subway a block away, supermarket a block away, dry cleaner a block away, shoe maker a block away (although the best shoe maker is about 1/2 mile away), lots of restaurants for a quick bite. World-famous museums and concert halls within walking distance. Central and Riverside parks right here. Need more?

And snarky folks like SuperMario.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,850,332 times
I love it because it's my home. I was born here and went to school here and work here. My ENTIRE family lives here. What more can I say? It's my home.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Hahaa yuppies&hipsters..oh yes forgot to mention that little detail about new york city =]

ehh you get along with them, sometimes become just like them after a while..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City