Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,337 times

Advertisements

My Partner and I were having too much argument and she wanted me out of the house the same day she got tired of it. Im not on the lease and she took my clothes out threating to call me the police. I called them and she was warned that she cannot take my belongings out and could be arrested. She left the house two weeks ago, said she wouldn't come back, offered to give me the apartment, and even her friends too. I said no and asked for a month to move to another apartment with all of the furniture ( I bought and she dont want to keep). A Week before she said that will send me a marshall letter as shes giving the apartment and now that shes taken me to court as she wants me out and wants to return. . She saw picture of me doing party with another girl in the house , but shes with her baby daddy, reason why she left. So shes doing all this out of emotions. My State ID is under this apt and all of my correspondences. I was paying rent and bills, including her phone and son's baby sitter and expenses. She even move the kid to another school.What can happen if she takes me to court?

Last edited by Nycrent71889; 06-19-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 02:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,336 times
I doubt that she can take you to court.
Why are you not on the lease if you are paying rent?
Do you want to stay in this apartment?
If not, she has to give you 30 days written notice and you start looking for another apartment.
During these 30 days she is not allowed to change the locks, throw you or your things out of the apartment, block you entering the apartment, and none of that nonsense.
Why does she want to take you to court?
You have done nothing wrong, till now!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM

31 posts, read 47,209 times
Never shack up with a single mom. Never pay for another man's child. You done goofed.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xemu View Post
Never shack up with a single mom. Never pay for another man's child. You done goofed.
You are so correct!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Rent in nyc- I trusted her and never though she will take things too far. I dont want to stay in this apartment, I just need the time frame to find another place and move. She left the apartment two weeks ago, and first said that she wants nothing with this apartment, she even transfer the kid to another school. She offered me and friends the aparment than said she will give the apartment and will send me
The marshall letter,. Now she wants to take me to court saying That she is living uncomfortable in another place as she wants nothing to do with me, and is with the baby father, who didnt even want to support financially his son, and now he is bc shes back with him- I also uploaded picture with a girl at the house who shes thinking that is my girl. The point is that Im moving in the month I asked her from the apartment and now is threating my with court. What can she do about this?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:57 PM

She can do nothing!

She is doing all the wrongs, and, it is her who moved out.
The more nonsense she is doing, the more she is digging herself into a legal hole.
You have done nothing wrong. That there are pics of you and another girl has absolutely nothing to do with the apartment issue.
She has to give you 30 day time to get yourself together. If she does any of what I mentioined in my former post, YOU can take her to court.

Were you on the lease, she could not even ask you to leave, but you are not, unfortunately.

BUT, since you are not on the lease you are off the hook, and do not have to pay the rest of the lease time, in case you are in the middle of the lease term.

She seems to be a very confused, irrational woman. God bless you!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
The courts would usually say you have 30 days, its state law if you have been there for a previous month. Its unfortunate what happened and sounds like a lot of drama. Best to focus on moving on, Planning the next chapter of your life either way. Save some $$ as fast as possible, hopefully you have some family to help out if needed also. Good luck with everything.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Nycrent, how long have you been in this apartment/house?

After being 3 months in it you are an occupant, and have almost the same rights as a lease holder, especially when you paid rent. She cannot just "throw" you out.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:12 PM

Thank you for the prompt replies. Ive been in this apartment for more than a year. My state Id has this same address. Yes, lot of drama for nothing. People that are on her side says that I need to get out as that is her apartment and she was there first., thats shes living uncomfortable because of me. I was paying rent, bills, supporting her in everything. No one see the fact that she gave up in the relationship, moved without even telling me, and is back with her baby daddy- whom she even has two domestic violence report and a pending protection order against him (events happened when she was living with me). I dont want to stay in this apartment, I just need the time I asked. I do see that for some reason is bothering her that Im bringing another girl, last Saturday when she saw the picture of the girl mentioned the marshall letter and now yesterday, Saturday- I post another picture of the girl cooking and damcing with me , she came out with the court eviction. I just want to avoid the drama of going to court and may affect my job place, as she even wants to send me the letter to my work place.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Too much drama sounds like your girlfriend is very ungrateful. You have been paying the bills get your own apt. this time only with your name on the lease. She can't throw you out just like that if she cause you to lose your job you could take her a** to court. Move out as soon as possible and don't look back good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City