Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1991 View Post
I'm a native New Yorker, and I've noticed that no matter what office I work in, I'm always surrounded by a majority of transplants. My bosses are always transplants as well as my coworkers. My current team consists of my boss who is from California, a few people from South Jersey, NC, and Connecticut. In my office alone, I'm probably the only New Yorker. What's the deal? Is this more or less some sort of status quo? Native New Yorkers have to work too. Are they all in blue collar jobs?
That's because most NYers have left jobs that are transplant heavy. Back then my employers prefer NYers because they were more reliable and competent. Any transplant that showed up to work back in early 2000s could not handle the pressure or work and they usually quit within 1-2 yrs. As the cost of living went up and salary stayed stagnant most NYers packed up and left for higher paying jobs elsewhere or moved to other states that cost less to live. Ask Texans and FL, how many NYC transplants are down there.

Most NY transplants today operate differently than NYers, they are more laid back but still under pressure to perform which causes a lot of conflicts at work. The only way for companies to survive is to hire a few hard working NYers and a bunch of underpaid transplants. There are transplants here making $85k while NYer next to him is making $105.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:14 AM

193 posts, read 282,330 times
I agree with the sentiment in this thread. I'm a Black native NYer, and even in a lot of industries, most of the Black people they hire are transplants too. Various things are in play as to why many private/corporate settings hire transplants vs. native NYers

1) a lot of native NYers who are educated and can obtain these private/corporate jobs don't return to NY after graduation (especially a lot of Black Native NYers, in my experience)

2) Many of these employers prefer/ almost exclusively hire elite private college/Ivy League grads. NYC public schools suck (and even those who go to Catholic schools don't usually go to top colleges, they tend to go the CUNY/SUNY/Catholic college/lower tier private university route, like the ones who get to college from a NYC public school)

3) Many of these employers in my opinion have an animosity/condescending attitude towards native New Yorkers, which to me really shows that they're intimidated by us. I get the vibe that some of these employers and transplants think that people who grew up in the city are lower class and uneducated, which is not always the case. I'm born and raised in the Bronx, went to a top independent school and liberal arts college, yet people automatically assume I'm lower class based on where I'm from or how I look. New Yorkers are hard working, no nonsense, street smart people with a hustler spirit/mentality, and that doesn't necessarily mesh well with those types of work environments.

It saddens me the lack of native New Yorkers in certain industries, because I guarantee you, they would function more smoothly and better serve their clientele if they actually had more people who know the ins and outs of this city as a native.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
NYPD, FDNY, MTA etc. Why work a corporate job when you can ride a gravy train? You get my drift.

Maybe MTA, but NYPD, FDNY, PAPD,DEP police, EMT and so forth most of the workers are not from NYC and are from the suburbs of Long Island, Westchester, Rockland County and to some extent Jersey. The only jobs where lots of New Yorkers work in civil service are MTA, DOC, Sanitation, NYCDOE.

Quote:
I'm a native New Yorker, and I've noticed that no matter what office I work in, I'm always surrounded by a majority of transplants. My bosses are always transplants as well as my coworkers. My current team consists of my boss who is from California, a few people from South Jersey, NC, and Connecticut. In my office alone, I'm probably the only New Yorker. What's the deal? Is this more or less some sort of status quo? Native New Yorkers have to work too. Are they all in blue collar jobs?
I don't know what to say, or where to begin on this topic. My best bet is to ask or wait for Nywriterdude who can explain such question. From my observation as a Native New Yorker who does not have an ethnic first and last name. I can attest that this is statement you claim is mostly true. I get invited to events, and galas, at such places, a good number of folks who attend such events, we talk and mingle. Most of these folks talk about what college they went to and where they are from. Nearly all are from out west and or from the Midwest. I even mingled with a black woman who is from Oklahoma, who recently moved to NYC and has a decent paying job on her arrival. I also used to date a woman from Minnesota, her whole entire family moved to NYC because it was easy to obtain jobs here compared to back home. She even said that firms, corporations, and companies where for some reason only hire out of town folks and not locals. She also only had a 2 year degree from some crap college. I could not date her anymore because of such ludicrous statement. I also knew of a guy that was the only New Yorker in his firm, everyone else was from out of town. Thankfully his office also had an annex department in Florida. He transferred to Florida, and the funny thing about the Florida office is that most of the workers were from NYC. He felt right at home with his New York workers in Florida vs being home in NYC working with Transplant workers.

Some years ago I went on interviews, due to having a non ethnic name, and using my friends Upper East Side address. This worked out in the beginning, than one employer pointed out that I lived in the Bronx, and the interview went downhill. What got the attention of employers is that I did not have an ethnic sounding name, like Tyquan, or Vinnie Scopoli, or Jose. To many Native New Yorkers have very ethnic sounding last names which can hurt chances of becoming employed in the private sector. That is the reason why folks with ethnic sounding last names end up in public sector jobs.

Transplants come from academic backgrounds, where native New Yorkers don't except for those who live in old money areas of Manhattan, and the rest of NYC. Native New Yorkers generally go to small profit colleges and local public colleges like the CUNY and or SUNY. Employers here in NYC know the cities public school academic system which deem candidates from such institutions un-hirable. Funny thing is that a generation ago, private sector jobs were obtainable in NYC for Native New Yorkers. What hit NYC hard is that in other parts of the country industry has fallen which led plenty of young people from certain parts of the country to move to legacy cities which allowed them to gobble up private sector employment fields. If industry returns to certain parts of the country, less and less young people will move to legacy cities making and allowing jobs to be more attainable for local populations.

What are some tactics for Native New Yorkers to become employed in the private sector firms?

1. Go out of state for college. This will show that you are risk taker, as well as change your attitude and perspective on life. Also one will be able to mingle with others from other parts of the country.

2. Try to go get selected to a top college, I'm not talking about Ivy League, but at least a Stanford, or UVA, Tuffs, Duke, MIT, John Hopkins, Northeastern. These universities shine on resumes.

3. If not a top college, try a public college for 4 years, and after that apply for graduate school.

4. Just put your foot out there and keep trying. IF all else fails, than move out of NYC. I know tons of New Yorkers who done real well by leaving NYC.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-21-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,547,505 times
I'd like to see some statistics, because my experience is very different. I went to a magnet public elementary and junior high in queens, had plenty of friends at the specialized schools and hunter, and in general I grew up around a lot of high-acheiving native New Yorkers. Not surprisingly, they are now Directors and VPs at companies like Goldman, Viacom, JP Morgan Chase, Louis Vuitton, etc. Several of them are now corporate lawyers.

You also have to consider that NYC tends to draw the best of the best from around the world.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Native New Yorkers have to work too. Are they all in blue collar jobs?
I don't understand this thread. Should we build a giant wall and make NY great again?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I don't understand this thread. Should we build a giant wall and make NY great again?
lol, these threads are so silly

Old 06-21-2016, 12:04 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
DeBlasio should start a campaign.....New York jobs for NY residents....NY for NY!!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
because it's messed up and stupid plus rich transplants and rich foreigners own just about everything.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
It's probably just that not enough Native New Yorkers are qualified for said jobs

Old 06-21-2016, 12:33 PM

193 posts, read 282,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Maybe MTA, but NYPD, FDNY, PAPD,DEP police, EMT and so forth most of the workers are not from NYC and are from the suburbs of Long Island, Westchester, Rockland County and to some extent Jersey. The only jobs where lots of New Yorkers work in civil service are MTA, DOC, Sanitation, NYCDOE.

I don't know what to say, or where to begin on this topic. My best bet is to ask or wait for Nywriterdude who can explain such question. From my observation as a Native New Yorker who does not have an ethnic first and last name. I can attest that this is statement you claim is mostly true. I get invited to events, and galas, at such places, a good number of folks who attend such events, we talk and mingle. Most of these folks talk about what college they went to and where they are from. Nearly all are from out west and or from the Midwest. I even mingled with a black woman who is from Oklahoma, who recently moved to NYC and has a decent paying job on her arrival. I also used to date a woman from Minnesota, her whole entire family moved to NYC because it was easy to obtain jobs here compared to back home. She even said that firms, corporations, and companies where for some reason only hire out of town folks and not locals. She also only had a 2 year degree from some crap college. I could not date her anymore because of such ludicrous statement. I also knew of a guy that was the only New Yorker in his firm, everyone else was from out of town. Thankfully his office also had an annex department in Florida. He transferred to Florida, and the funny thing about the Florida office is that most of the workers were from NYC. He felt right at home with his New York workers in Florida vs being home in NYC working with Transplant workers.

Some years ago I went on interviews, due to having a non ethnic name, and using my friends Upper East Side address. This worked out in the beginning, than one employer pointed out that I lived in the Bronx, and the interview went downhill. What got the attention of employers is that I did not have an ethnic sounding name, like Tyquan, or Vinnie Scopoli, or Jose. To many Native New Yorkers have very ethnic sounding last names which can hurt chances of becoming employed in the private sector. That is the reason why folks with ethnic sounding last names end up in public sector jobs.

Transplants come from academic backgrounds, where native New Yorkers don't except for those who live in old money areas of Manhattan, and the rest of NYC. Native New Yorkers generally go to small profit colleges and local public colleges like the CUNY and or SUNY. Employers here in NYC know the cities public school academic system which deem candidates from such institutions un-hirable. Funny thing is that a generation ago, private sector jobs were obtainable in NYC for Native New Yorkers. What hit NYC hard is that in other parts of the country industry has fallen which led plenty of young people from certain parts of the country to move to legacy cities which allowed them to gobble up private sector employment fields. If industry returns to certain parts of the country, less and less young people will move to legacy cities making and allowing jobs to be more attainable for local populations.

What are some tactics for Native New Yorkers to become employed in the private sector firms?

1. Go out of state for college. This will show that you are risk taker, as well as change your attitude and perspective on life. Also one will be able to mingle with others from other parts of the country.

2. Try to go get selected to a top college, I'm not talking about Ivy League, but at least a Stanford, or UVA, Tuffs, Duke, MIT, John Hopkins, Northeastern. These universities shine on resumes.

3. If not a top college, try a public college for 4 years, and after that apply for graduate school.

4. Just put your foot out there and keep trying. IF all else fails, than move out of NYC. I know tons of New Yorkers who done real well by leaving NYC.
Several thoughts on your post...

1) I agree having a less ethnic name does help. I have a racially ambigious last name, so most employers don't know I'm Black until I come in for an interview. There's not much people can really do about that, because who wants to go through all of the trouble of legally changing their name. Some people do, but it's a sad reality that employers have such biases against people based on something they had no control over.

2) By the nature of being a transplant (having the opportunity/money/educational background) to move to someplace like NY for a job opportunity automatically makes someone privileged. Couple that with a degree from an elite college, the world is theirs. Most top colleges from which these transplants tend to come from push their students/graduates to apply to jobs in large cities like NYC.

3) I do think it's a good idea for more native New Yorkers to go to college out of state, but as I mentioned before, many don't return, which is the problem. Some of that is because they feel pushed out because of competition from transplants, even New Yorkers who go to the SAME elite colleges. I think it's important to acknowledge the underlying bias of employers and finding ways to overcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City