Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:57 PM

95 posts, read 154,635 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a Co-op in Brooklyn and just bought a home in Queens. How much can I expect to pay for water/sewer and gas for a single family home with 2 adults and a baby? I know everyone use is different but just want to get an estimate since I have never paid these bills before. Thanks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,051 times
Attached or detached? Oil or gas for heat? Do you need to water the lawn or is it all concrete?

For your reference a single family detached tudor using oil for heat and gas for hot water for a family of 3 watering only the front lawn:
-Water/Sewer averages to about $70 a month, it's a quarterly bill I think and my bill ranges between $150 and $250 a quarter.
-Oil heat this past winter with cheap oil was about $300 a month during the 5 winter months, it was about $550 a month when oil was more expensive. Natural gas is probably anywhere from 30%-50% cheaper depending on market prices.
-Electricity/gas for cooking/hot water averages somewhere around $150-$200 a month, never did the calc but it's around $150 in the winter and $250 during summers for me. I guess if you're using gas for heat then you can bump your winter gas bill up by about $200-$400 a month in the winter depending on the type of single family home you have and market prices.

So total I would say spread over 12 months utilities it's about $400 to $500 a month for a single fam detached regular size house. If I was using gas for heat then it's about $300-$400 a month.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-21-2016 at 09:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Varies by seasons. 2300 sq ft home this past month's gas bill was $86 . Bear in mind $58 was delivery fee. I hate these crooks! However $400 sounds about fine.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM

Heat is gas and I think water is also gas but I am not 100% sure. Home is detached about 2200 sq ft and has a 3 way heating system. $70 a month for water seems like a lot.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:12 PM

415 posts, read 514,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
Heat is gas and I think water is also gas but I am not 100% sure. Home is detached about 2200 sq ft and has a 3 way heating system. $70 a month for water seems like a lot.
Water was the last good deal we had in NYC but an unholy alliance of management consultants, scumbag lawyers and wackjob environmentalists figured out how to skirt price regulation w/ new fees, taxes and 3rd party plans.

10 years ago, you'd have to leave all your faucets wide open to spend more than 75 bucks a month on water.

Now, it's less than average.

Before Bloomberg and DeBlasio, the average single family would have a $100 per quarter water and sewer bill, tops.

NYC always stood out compared to other democrat run Northeast and Midwest cities because we had generally responsible governance. This is one of the main reasons NYC didn't turn into a 3rd World train wreck the way most other large older American cites collapsed.

This mentality changed under Bloomberg and has accelerated under the very retarded Social Justice Warrior, Bill 'self hating" DeBlasio.

You can't have a "Sanctuary City" with generous welfare benefits.

You can't have a city (or, a country) which throws it doors open to the 3rd World and have responsible fiscal governance. Sorry, you just can't have that.

It used to be relatively inexpensive to carry property in NYC. No longer. Millage rates for real estate taxes have exploded and utilities are completely out-of-control. This money is being used to support the welfare state. Do you have any idea how much it costs to import a family from XXXXX, put them in public housing and Medicaid, etc., etc.?

Medicaid alone costs $25,000 or more per family.

I'm not sure why we need import endless amounts of uneducated, non English speaking people to our city and country but I guess I'll have to trust our ruling class that this is good for me. I can't figure it out and I'm a really smart guy so I guess I'll just have to trust the Democrats on this one

The way it's been explained to me is that Democrats are looking to import voters from the 3rd World and Republicans are looking to import slave labor.

Last edited by Citizenrich; 06-21-2016 at 11:44 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Anyway, a 2000 sq. ft single family home in one of the outer boros will have utility bills which look this:

Water: $75 p/month
Gas: $200 p/month (level)
Electricty $125 p/ month (level)

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 PM

The general scam is that the government gets us to use less of everything and then charges us more for it so they never make less money.

After the United States introduced CAFE standards in the mid 70's for auto's, the government (at all levels) freaked out when they started taking in less revenue.

So, they raised taxes and fees. Of course! The government can never take in less money. It just doesn't work that way. It starts @ the oil fields (or, ports) and ends at the pump. You pay, pay, pay.

The government makes us purchase all of this energy efficient crap so they can take a larger portion of increasing utility fees in taxes to pay for welfare.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
The general scam is that the government gets us to use less of everything and then charges us more for it so they never make less money.

After the United States introduced CAFE standards in the mid 70's for auto's, the government (at all levels) freaked out when they started taking in less revenue.

So, they raised taxes and fees. Of course! The government can never take in less money. It just doesn't work that way. It starts @ the oil fields (or, ports) and ends at the pump. You pay, pay, pay.

The government makes us purchase all of this energy efficient crap so they can take a larger portion of increasing utility fees in taxes to pay for welfare.

I was told I couldn't Rep you again. Con Edison is aptly named. My total bill this month was $290. Of that sum, only $91 was actual supply charges. The rest was delivery charges and various fees. Why are they allowed to rape the masses like this?!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:38 AM

912 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Part of the reason I don't post often on this board is the ballent racism, ignorance and stupidity on this board. I wish I had the time to descontsruct how stupid some of the comments on this thread are. I'll keep it short. NYC water bills have become outrageously expensive to pay for the contrusction of a new water tunnel, which is set to cost over 6 billion. When Bloomburg took over, the tunnel was being done at a snails space and without proper funding. Over 40% of what we pay today is going towards servicing the debt the DEP incurred to start the water tunnel, and other mandatory capital improvement plans that were never funded in the 70s/80s/90s. Another 36 percent goes to funding current operating expenses and the remaining 20 percent a funds current capital improvement plans, such as the new croton filtration system.

We're paying such high rates thanks to generation Greed, who never paid for any necessary capital improvement and maintence. The same story happened with the MTA. If you notice now, it's generation Greed that's complaining the most about high prices, and shifting the blame to immigrants or anybody but themselves

Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM

NYC spends a lot of money in other areas and as a result have no money from capital projects. That's the problem imo. NYC is ranked one of the most taxed cities for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: