Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wasn't Brooklyn Heights rich and white for a very long time? And always gentrified.

Visited the park this time, it's nice; just don't give in to the anti-basketball neighbors.
Same mentality - I don't think how long they've been there makes a difference in how they perceive people not from the area.

If anything, the longer they're there, the more insular they become.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:52 PM

259 posts, read 268,323 times
Those are great courts. New, scenic, nice sea breeze, and lit at night. I play handball. We never had any problems with any people of any sport at BBP.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM

436 posts, read 565,075 times
Unfortunately basketball is a sport played by some rayher mean-spirited and violent people. It's one of the reasons I quit the sport for 2 years and only recently started playing again. This kind of thing is bound to happen more so in a city like New York.

That being said, I could care less about these people's complaints. They're reinforcement of the city's segregation and divisions.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Unfortunately basketball is a sport played by some rayher mean-spirited and violent people. It's one of the reasons I quit the sport for 2 years and only recently started playing again. This kind of thing is bound to happen more so in a city like New York.

That being said, I could care less about these people's complaints. They're reinforcement of the city's segregation and divisions.
Mean-spirited and violent people play basketball?

You live on Joralemon Street by any chance? Bwahahaha

Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 PM

436 posts, read 565,075 times
Relative to the other sport I play (hockey) yes. There are just less relaxed people especially when it comes to these courts with unorganized (meaning no officials) games. Always some kind of argument over some call and people who may not be as good at the sport get ostracized real quickly. The culture of free basketball isn't very inclusive and whether you care to admit it or not, basketball is a sport played by some people from very troubled backgrounds. Enough black youth (and non-youth) happen to make up that group and give all a negative image.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
I don't think its the people that play basketball that are mean-spirited and violent, but its more so the Brooklynite mentality. I've played a lot of basketball in my life, and the arguing around here, more so than in Long Island and New Jersey, is just taken to another level. Hotheads in the boros.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 PM

82 posts, read 91,030 times
Why remove them? They are very nice courts. Not all people who use the courts are violent.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They got cash it wont be that hard for residents to get of baskebtall court.
I beg to differ!

I'm sure those national all-star tournaments on ESPN, etc, make some not-so-bad revenue for the city. Those courts are not going anywhere!

And I'm thinking, now, Tillary Park must be crowded, these days!

Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Relative to the other sport I play (hockey) yes. There are just less relaxed people especially when it comes to these courts with unorganized (meaning no officials) games. Always some kind of argument over some call and people who may not be as good at the sport get ostracized real quickly. The culture of free basketball isn't very inclusive and whether you care to admit it or not, basketball is a sport played by some people from very troubled backgrounds. Enough black youth (and non-youth) happen to make up that group and give all a negative image.
Really? In hockey, they let you fight though....you can't fight in basketball....IMO hockey is way more barbaric...and way more people in hockey that are coming up have substance abuse problems.....didn't somebody on the Kings or Rangers get arrested for cocaine or something? Tell me when is the last time you heard somebody get arrested for cocaine in the NBA....

Let the hockey rink be on Joralemon Street tho, they can fight, bloody each other up and thats cool tho...yeah ok

Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Whiny. Elitist. Yuppies.

Seems like they want to live in Farmingdale, Scarsdale, or some other suburban 'dale.' Then, they should move there rather than trying to turn my hometown into some sanitized theme park. They're ruining the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City