Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks View Post
Thanks, guys! I've probably sent my resume out to almost 100 companies, with only one response. Moving without a job is scary, but I'll do if I that's what I have to. I do know some people there, but not really well enough where I can ask to crash on a couch for a whole month. Does anyone have any idea of the hourly rate that temp agencies pay?)
People I know who have temped have made anywhere from $13 to $22 an hour. Certainly not much, especially by NYC standard, but if you can stretch a dollar and live very lean for a few months there will be better opportunities. I'm not certain what the spa business pays but I have to imagine it isn't anything great (at least to start). It seems to me that would fall into one of those fields where NYC attracts a large number of new grads and those looking to break into the field. The problem with the fields where there are few jobs and lots of candidates is that they can pay very low because somebody is eventually going to take the job. I know marketing majors, people starting out in graphic design, and event planners who make very little money (around the $30k/year mark). Your options are to make a lot of sacrifices to live here and try to get that valuable NY working experience or to get a couple years under your belt somewhere more affordable and then move to NY. Entry-level salaries in this city in ANY field are tough to live on and companies don't have to shell out the big bucks because there is ALWAYS a huge supply of recent grads to tap into. These are just my observations so take them at face value but find out more on your own. Good luck and remember "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM

775 posts, read 578,696 times
You can temp but would be best if you brought a big savings account with you until you find that permanent job, even if it means postponing the move until then.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
You can temp but would be best if you brought a big savings account with you until you find that permanent job, even if it means postponing the move until then.
I agree. Having a nice chunk of change saved up is a must even if you already have a job lined up. The charges just to get into an apartment are in the thousands (security deposit, brokers fee) so be ready for them.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM

52 posts, read 256,845 times
I've been dreaming and planning to move to NYC for the past 2 years. I've finally (at 32!) gotten up the courage to sell my small spa business, start freelance writing (I have a couple of articles being published soon, as well as previous local magazine writing/editing experience). I've tried to shush my dream and tell myself that I should just stay put- that my business is successful and I have no reason to move. Again and again, NYC keeps pulling at me, so I'm taking the plunge. My main reason for moving is to experience NYC. I don't need to find a dream job (yet). I do need a job that is somewhat enjoyable and pays the bills. I am willing to get a roommate, live frugally and get a job waiting tables if I need to. Sorry- I just needed catharsis, because my family is discouraging me from moving and making me feel like I'm making a huge mistake. I figure, if I don't like it, I can always come back! JeffCon0, I appreciate your advice.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM

I have enough in savings to move without having a job first.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Chooks, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were moving as a recent grad/entry level candidate. If you had you own spa business and have published articles it sounds like you will do fine. I think it is always a good idea to have both work experience and life experience under your belt before taking on NYC. If you have been dreaming of NYC for a long time and it is not some passing whim like that of many 22 year olds then I think you should go for it. It will be made easier by the fact that you have some savings and what better way to use that savings then going after your dream. That spa business experience will look great on a resume and owning a business reflects very well on you in many different fields if you ever stray from the spa field. You will be fine if you maintain a strong will and are prepared to make some sacrifices for your dream. Best of luck to you! Always nice to hear from someone with their head in the right place who is preparing for "the move". Many of us have made that very same move and the uncertainty is stressful but it all works out in the end.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM

To all the posters on New York's city data forum, I've gained invaluable advice and insight from the various threads. THANK YOU!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Here is a long dissertation I posted a few weeks ago about conducting an out-of-town job hunt - along with some techniques that worked for me.

I think it was well received. A couple of people gave me some rep points

I hope you find this helpful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/2640457-post2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City