Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 08:14 AM

491 posts, read 375,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Frankly, we don't care.
Well, it goes beyond that and there is a reason. As the Church of England was formed when Henry VIII took the Anglican church into schism from the Catholic Church, Henry VIII also absolutely abhorred the Lutheran heresies, and persecuted protestants to death which led to protestant emigration to America. There is a history of intolerance, and religious persecution within the Anglican Church, later renamed Episcopal in the United States after the Revolutionary war.

There is an old protestant saying that goes something like, We have left our motherlands to seek our religious freedom, yet those who once persecuted us follow us wherever we go. In this way we lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
well yeah, they are popular in the summer and that you as an episcopalian never heard of them pretty much sums it up.
Some of my relatives are Baptists and I never heard of these protestant music festivals. So it proves nothing.

You're making claims that have no data or actual fact behind them, just your own personal prejudices and beliefs.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Well, it goes beyond that and there is a reason. As the Church of England was formed when Henry VIII took the Anglican church into schism from the Catholic Church, Henry VIII also absolutely abhorred the Lutheran heresies, and persecuted protestants to death which led to protestant emigration to America. There is a history of intolerance, and religious persecution within the Anglican Church, later renamed Episcopal in the United States after the Revolutionary war.

There is an old protestant saying that goes something like, We have left our motherlands to seek our religious freedom, yet those who once persecuted us follow us wherever we go. In this way we lead.
I don't really need a history lesson from you, my friend. I'm pretty sure you were not yet born when I learned all that, lol.

However, I'm curious as to what your purpose might be in repeatedly focusing on the somewhat not-so-pretty aspects of the history of the Anglican church. Anyone with the most cursory knowledge of what the Episcopal Church stands for TODAY knows that it is the polar opposite of intolerance!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of my relatives are Baptists and I never heard of these protestant music festivals. So it proves nothing.

You're making claims that have no data or actual fact behind them, just your own personal prejudices and beliefs.
GracefestAV - Antelope Valleys Premier Music & Message Festival
https://masterworksfestival.org/
https://www.grantparkmusicfestival.c...ic/2016-season
The Soulfest
Festival - kingdombound.org
Creation Festival – Northeast
Gospel Music - Festival International de Jazz de Montréal
Home :: Skaneateles Festival
Lifest 2016
Hills Alive 2016 - Christian Music Festival
Welcome to Spirit Song 2016 | Spirit Song 2016
Spirit West Coast

Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't really need a history lesson from you, my friend. I'm pretty sure you were not yet born when I learned all that, lol.

However, I'm curious as to what your purpose might be in repeatedly focusing on the somewhat not-so-pretty aspects of the history of the Anglican church. Anyone with the most cursory knowledge of what the Episcopal Church stands for TODAY knows that it is the polar opposite of intolerance!
I don't doubt that and as I said i respect the Episcopal church today. I respect all religion and religious freedom. I am merely stating that there are vast differences between religions, sects, on theology and that the core denominations of protestantism, in lutheranism and presbyterianism reject the theologies of the episcopalian church and should not be grouped within the same category. The vast majority of Anglican/Episcopalian priests also agree. If the word, "protestant" simply means those who oppose or protest the pope, then Madonna would be categorized as a protestant too.

Many Episcopalian and Anglican priests believe they should be a fourth Christian tradition, independent of Roman Catholic, Protestantism, and Orthodox.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
More disturbing that the OP asked for a WHITE protestant church.. dear oh dear.. out of the mouth of a christian..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM

379 posts, read 255,075 times
There are so-called Latino Jews. Actually the word Sephardic means Spanish and it was in Spain and Portugal that Sephardic Jews formed an ethnic identity. After Queen Isabella booted many Jews from Spain, many went to Turkey and Portugal, and then from there, Cuba, and all over South America. And these were not converted Jews, but actual racial Jews.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that and as I said i respect the Episcopal church today. I respect all religion and religious freedom. I am merely stating that there are vast differences between religions, sects, on theology and that the core denominations of protestantism, in lutheranism and presbyterianism reject the theologies of the episcopalian church and should not be grouped within the same category. The vast majority of Anglican/Episcopalian priests also agree. If the word, "protestant" simply means those who oppose or protest the pope, then Madonna would be categorized as a protestant too.

Many Episcopalian and Anglican priests believe they should be a fourth Christian tradition, independent of Roman Catholic, Protestantism, and Orthodox.
Most people I know refer to Anglicans (and by extension Episcopalian) as one of the many protestants. The very essence of the word itself refers to protesting the authority of the pope in Rome. Your finely tuned definition is not the lay person common use.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
More disturbing that the OP asked for a WHITE protestant church.. dear oh dear.. out of the mouth of a christian..
It could be racist, but it is not necessarily so. Let me explain - I see you are in Scotland so probably not familiar with the use of the term the black church here in the US. In short, asking for a white protestant church can be an awkward way of asking for an uptight, spare and snoozeworthy sort of place rather than a hand clapping, audience interjecting, happy singing type of place.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not very Christ-like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City