Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 PM

337 posts, read 423,840 times

Advertisements

My old landlord contacted me and said I got mail from "kings county Supreme Court" and I asked
Him if it said "jury duty" on it at all he said No. I never do anything illegal and am not worried that much it's just getting to me.
I moved in February so wouldn't they have my new address? Confused on why I would get mail to my old address from the courts. Also was not certified mail. I have to wait
Till Monday to pick it up. Any guesses ? I'll update you when I get it. I am supposing jury duty.. Just thought they would know about the address change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 06:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times
It doesn't say jury duty and they send it by regular mail. Where they got your name from probably didnt have an updatrd address.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:22 PM

Yeah I'm thinking jury duty. Damn. Last time I had a surgery which was my excuse. I don't mind the jury duty thing but just been so swamped at work and this will put a link
In my chit.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
It's only 2 days unless you answer all of the questions wrong.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
Yeah I'm thinking jury duty. Damn. Last time I had a surgery which was my excuse. I don't mind the jury duty thing but just been so swamped at work and this will put a link
In my chit.

Jury duty notices come from the clerk of the court for whatever borough, and no they do not say so on the envelope.

It is either a questionnaire or a summons (to serve). Either way you can be let out of it by contacting the clerk of (Kings County) court and telling them you have moved. That or just tell your LL to write "return to sender/moved" on the envelope and give it back to the USPS. The letter will be sent back to the clerk stamped as such and if wished they have ways to verify if you indeed moved.

This or ask your LL to forward the letter and see what is in the envelope. If it is a questionnaire there will be a question about where you reside, just fill it in that you have moved.... If it is a summons there is a space (IIRC) on the thing and or directions for how you are to contact the court if you are either unable to serve or have moved.

Long story short you cannot serve on a Brooklyn jury if you live on Staten Island, at least for civil and criminal cases. You can however be called to serve on a federal grand jury, that is another kettle of fish.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 PM

Tx bugsy

Old 06-26-2016, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Oh damn, this reminds me that I asked for a routine 6 month extension (to Manhattan petit jury) in January and July is rapidly approaching...GROAN.
Can I assume that it will be petit jury again? ot do I have to worry about the horror that is the unending grand jury?
<I have all my excuses ready but I feel sheepish using them.>

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM

Okay so it was a "juror questionaire" what's the point of this thing? It's mandatory? Shouldn't it be certified of mandatory?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Okay so it was a "juror questionaire" what's the point of this thing? It's mandatory? Shouldn't it be certified of mandatory?

Point is to create a pool of persons qualified to be jurors. It is a type of court order so ignoring it will can bring consequences and repercussions; though some claim otherwise.

Technically again there is nothing the Brooklyn courts can do to you since you have moved. They will continue sending such notices (up to three IIRC) before an order for you to personally appear at King County office of court clerk. There and then you'll have to account for why you didn't respond and most certainly be asked to pick a date "now" when you can serve jury duty.

Again in your situation you can just stop all that nonsense by just filling in the section regarding residency/moved. That ignore and sooner or later the court *should* find out you've moved. Didn't you fill out a change of address form with the USPS?

Failing any of the above options just tell your LL to write "moved/return to sender" on envelope and give it back to USPS. That will stop the whole process.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
they are fishing. If you ignore it, they will send a 2nd notice. Back then, I wait until the 3rd notice to respond...by then I moved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City