Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 AM

194 posts, read 1,203,029 times

Advertisements

Im sorry that you've grown to dislike New York so much. I technically still live in NYC but my girlfriend has moved the San Francisco bay area for a better paying job so I have spent 3 of the last 4 months on the West Coast. You might like San Diego or San Francisco alot. I myself am not a huge fan. Its not that I hate it I just feel that I am an east coast person. I lived in Tampa most of my life even though its hard to consider the FL Gulf Coast "East Coast".

I dont think too many people like 98 degree heat or shoveling snow at 5am but I miss the seasons. All the locals in SF are like "hey, we never get snow and its never that hot." Yes your right cause its jean and sweatshirt weather 11 1/2 months out of the year. I like my shorts and a tshirt and I dont mind a winter coat from time to time.

I understand that there is alot of not so nice people in New York, but there is sucky people everywhere. They are growing exponentially in this country. To me though, native New Yorkers are some of the most genuine people around. Transplants who don't have their heads up their you know what are fine too.

I am not a native NYer although I have spent a decent amount of time there growing up. New York is a very love/hate kind of place. To me it is the center of everything and always has something going on. I might look at it through rose colored glasses since I hope to return and plan to get on the FDNY if it kills me. I don't think I can live in the city forever but I definitly want to be a part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
Im sorry that you've grown to dislike New York so much. I technically still live in NYC but my girlfriend has moved the San Francisco bay area for a better paying job so I have spent 3 of the last 4 months on the West Coast. You might like San Diego or San Francisco alot. I myself am not a huge fan. Its not that I hate it I just feel that I am an east coast person. I lived in Tampa most of my life even though its hard to consider the FL Gulf Coast "East Coast".

I dont think too many people like 98 degree heat or shoveling snow at 5am but I miss the seasons. All the locals in SF are like "hey, we never get snow and its never that hot." Yes your right cause its jean and sweatshirt weather 11 1/2 months out of the year. I like my shorts and a tshirt and I dont mind a winter coat from time to time.

I understand that there is alot of not so nice people in New York, but there is sucky people everywhere. They are growing exponentially in this country. To me though, native New Yorkers are some of the most genuine people around. Transplants who don't have their heads up their you know what are fine too.

I am not a native NYer although I have spent a decent amount of time there growing up. New York is a very love/hate kind of place. To me it is the center of everything and always has something going on. I might look at it through rose colored glasses since I hope to return and plan to get on the FDNY if it kills me. I don't think I can live in the city forever but I definitly want to be a part of it.
Thats how I feel Ive lived in Florida and ppl would always talk about the weather but I really love four seasons. If you can make a good group of friends here you would really love it but if you don't it's really hard and lonely here even being surrounded by millions of ppl.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
With your occupation, you can move anywhere you want. If you dislike the dark winters, maybe try going south but then be prepared for hurricanes!

California is very laid back but it's HOT, especially southern cali. I always said if I left NYC, I would go to Seattle or San Francisco. But it gets cold there too!

Buona fortuna dovunque sia si decide di andare :-)

Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM

194 posts, read 1,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Thats how I feel Ive lived in Florida and ppl would always talk about the weather but I really love four seasons. If you can make a good group of friends here you would really love it but if you don't it's really hard and lonely here even being surrounded by millions of ppl.

Yea the weather in Florida is nice if you spend all your time on the water, but most people don't get to do that. My brother still lives there and thats all he does and loves it and I love the water too but how often can you get out there? Especially if you don't live 20 mins from the water like I used to.

It can be lonely but that can go for anywhere. NYC is definitely the easiest place to meet people. I mean its just odds. If you live in the densest city in the country not including the millions of commuters your bound to meet people unless your a shut-in and work at home or something.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Left NYC for Charlotte eight months ago after living there for 40 years. I have no regrets and kick myself for not moving sooner. The grass is not always greener though, it all depend on what you hope to get out of the move. I could name the negatives in NC, just like I could NYC, but the positives here outweigh them all. Housing, weather, hospitality and a great job.

Good luck with your decisions!
How many times have you been reminded you that you are a Yankee? Not yet, get ready for it...............

Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newson2012 View Post
I want to move out of NYC.. I can not believe that I would ever want to leave NYC.. I LOVED NYC sooo much, but in the past 2 years I have grown to DISLIKE it and the cold people that I ride with on those subways. People really are MEAN and COLD here. I want to go somewhere where people ae happy and not ANGRY and RUDE. I don't know where to look or even how to plan it but all I know is that I am GOD willing giving myself 3years to make a move, so in the meantime I will search do research and PRAY to GOD that I can move out
Come over to Staten Island, (one of the 5 boroughs) we are very friendly here...........

Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 AM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
In no particular order, San Diego, Las Vegas, Arizona, Oklahoma.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 AM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Come over to Staten Island, (one of the 5 boroughs) we are very friendly here...........
Eh were really not.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
In no particular order, San Diego, Las Vegas, Arizona, Oklahoma.
You'd actually live in Vegas

Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I agree with everything the OP has said. The problem with New York is that it's full of lowlifes, it's way too overcrowded, and it's too expensive. People here are, for the most part, very unfriendly, but at the same time, don't hesitate to harass you for no reason. Everything is way to overcrowded, I hate waiting on a supermarket line for an hour every week. The whole city in general just simply sucks if you aren't rich or don't have a lot of good friends, and everyday I feel like I don't belong here more and more.

I personally wanna move to either Pennsylvania, or New England, or if I wanted to move to another city, it would be Seattle, Portland, or San Diego [All beautiful cities].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City