Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM

190 posts, read 980,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
My comments weren't directed at you anyway lol. It seems like SIers lose all the values of growing up in Brooklyn and become the east coast/brunette version of Orange County, yet they work nothing jobs.
Yes, I'd say you're pretty spot on with the OC comment. I don't know if you've ever been there, but those kids are pretty ignorant and spoiled. The difference is that most of their parents are pretty successful people in various learned professions. On Staten Island the money doesn't come anywhere close to the OC, yet they all walk around as if they've got more money than God. And their parents? Oh boy... I've never met so many people who seem to think they're the most successful people in New York City just because they've got the NYPD/FDNY pension under their belts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:05 PM

402 posts, read 1,014,561 times
Quote:
My comments weren't directed at you anyway lol. It seems like SIers lose all the values of growing up in Brooklyn and become the east coast/brunette version of Orange County, yet they work nothing jobs. I wouldnt say wannabe gangsters, as that is probably a part of the blood, and was partially a good thing back in the day. But I would say wannabe elite/wealthy. Aside from Todt Hill/Grymes Hill and a few other small pockets of Manhattan professionals, the majority are essentially a joke. The equivalents in Westchester and LI are now Wall St execs, doctors, lawyers, ...if SI Tommy's construction is building a row of townhomes, Vinny's construction in Westchester is building hospitals, office buildings, hedge fund offices, etc. And these were the same exact people back in the BX/BK glory days.

The reason I make these points is many SI kids seem to have a disregard for the real world, despite the "IM FROM NY THE CENTER OF EARTH" card they toss everywhere. If they knew what was going on theyd be working harder to save up to buy a house. Yet the mentality is "why should I get an education or work really hard when I can pass up college or drop out of hs and live in my parents basement till Im 35?" Times are changing and if these kids are such raw hardcore IM FROM BROOKLYN I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING types they would not only be keeping up, they would be ahead of the curve. They go from growing up fast in the teens by living in NY to basically gettin played by kids from Kansas and Ohio...ha. They are pretty much an embarrassment to those who stay behind in Bensonhurst and keep it real or the people who really have it tough in Bed Stuy/Brownsville/ENY

Then again I must not be making stuff up because it seems like MTV picks shows about SI people like they are the circus animals of the Northeast USA.
LOL!!! Do you have some kind of resentment we don't know about??? It's very interesting for me, because I am from CA and New Yorkers giving me all this feedback...for example "bridge and tunnel" (LOL!) I didn't even know what that was? Guido's...another term I didn't know! LOL...I came to visit the city 2 to 3 times a year for the last 10 years and I luved it so thats why I sold my home in CA and moved here. In other words, I didn't move here to live on SI...you know what I mean...LOL...I didn't even ever think about SI.

Well, when I had my apt in the city...although great...it was just too small...even though it was 1000 sq ft one bedroom. So here I am on SI, but a true CA girl. I luv it!!! Every day, from morning, till I go to bed, and, from every floor of my house I can see the "city" and all it's faces and if I want to go for a walk with my dog as I did before when I lived in the financial district I get on the Ferry and take to walk to Seaport, battery park and Tribeca...life has not changed much for me.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Yes, I'd say you're pretty spot on with the OC comment. I don't know if you've ever been there, but those kids are pretty ignorant and spoiled. The difference is that most of their parents are pretty successful people in various learned professions. On Staten Island the money doesn't come anywhere close to the OC, yet they all walk around as if they've got more money than God. And their parents? Oh boy... I've never met so many people who seem to think they're the most successful people in New York City just because they've got the NYPD/FDNY pension under their belts.

Curious...where do you live?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Curious...where do you live?
I now live in Greenwich Village (near NYU).

When I lived on Staten Island I lived in 10305, specifically, the Dongan Hills neighborhood. Sloppy crap. Basements flooded almost all the time when it rained. Terrible.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I now live in Greenwich Village (near NYU).

When I lived on Staten Island I lived in 10305, specifically, the Dongan Hills neighborhood. Sloppy crap. Basements flooded almost all the time when it rained. Terrible.
Oh, see ! I don't even know where Donhan Hills is! LOL!!! My sista lives in SOHO...ahhhhhhhh NYU....great school....

When did you move to the city? Where did you grow up? Have you lived anywhere else in the US?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM

718 posts, read 2,320,777 times
Quote:

Haha. These are great and honorable jobs, however these guys push expensive cars and spend like they are Trump. Their kids grow up with the God's gift to earth mentality. Its a pretty simple explanation: They live well above their means, and even think theyre financially worth above their means.

Quote:
LOL!!! Do you have some kind of resentment we don't know about??? It's very interesting for me, because I am from CA and New Yorkers giving me all this feedback...for example "bridge and tunnel" (LOL!) I didn't even know what that was? Guido's...another term I didn't know! LOL...I came to visit the city 2 to 3 times a year for the last 10 years and I luved it so thats why I sold my home in CA and moved here. In other words, I didn't move here to live on SI...you know what I mean...LOL...I didn't even ever think about SI.

Well, when I had my apt in the city...although great...it was just too small...even though it was 1000 sq ft one bedroom. So here I am on SI, but a true CA girl. I luv it!!! Every day, from morning, till I go to bed, and, from every floor of my house I can see the "city" and all it's faces and if I want to go for a walk with my dog as I did before when I lived in the financial district I get on the Ferry and take to walk to Seaport, battery park and Tribeca...life has not changed much for me.
No resentment, actually more like amusement. I find these people pretty amusing. Dont ever take these people seriously. You will enjoy your time here as it is very interesting. You will eat well too.

You live in a good spot. The Financial District is too cramped, non-residential, and buildings arent even that friendly. The North Shore is still NY to me, but the South Shore is the black sheep that doesnt really belong anywhere.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Haha. These are great and honorable jobs, however these guys push expensive cars and spend like they are Trump. Their kids grow up with the God's gift to earth mentality. Its a pretty simple explanation: They live well above their means, and even think theyre financially worth above their means.

No resentment, actually more like amusement. I find these people pretty amusing. Dont ever take these people seriously. You will enjoy your time here as it is very interesting. You will eat well too.

You live in a good spot. The Financial District is too cramped, non-residential, and buildings arent even that friendly. The North Shore is still NY to me, but the South Shore is the black sheep that doesnt really belong anywhere.
annnnnnnnnnnnnnd wher do you live now? did you ever live SI and if yes, when?

Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM

718 posts, read 2,320,777 times
Quote:
annnnnnnnnnnnnnd wher do you live now? did you ever live SI and if yes, when?
I live in the Bronx now. I have never lived on SI but I have some relatives and friends there, so I have spent much time there, maybe too much time lol.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Oh, see ! I don't even know where Donhan Hills is! LOL!!! My sista lives in SOHO...ahhhhhhhh NYU....great school....

When did you move to the city? Where did you grow up? Have you lived anywhere else in the US?
I've sent you a direct message.

But briefly towns I've lived in have been:

New York City: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens
New Haven, CT
Los Angeles, CA
Mountain View, CA

... and, soon, Chicago, IL.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,024 times
Native Staten Islander here
"a step up from the projects" haha Park Hill is probably the worst project houses in Staten Island, but thanks for the chuckle, have never heard that before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City