Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,318,901 times

Advertisements

NYLifes2shrt, you live right next to Stapleton, the worst SI neighborhood. Park Hill is only a mile or so from Ward Hill. Get to know these places during the day in case you make a wrong turn at night. SI cops are nonexistent.

One time I was going down Vanderbilt on my way to the ferry late at night and the road was ripped up. Was waiting for a flat tire, and that would have been a very interesting situation.

Castro - Oakland and Richmond are bad in Northern Cal

Last edited by DITC; 02-20-2008 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Those post-Communist blocks of gray brick, character-less buildings on Park Hill Avenue are privately owned?! Wow. Isn't Fox Hills the same company that owns the buildings that border Silver Lake?
yes, they are. i dont know if they are the same company that own those buildings on victory blvd (are those thes one you're talking about?), but park hill is is 100% privately owned.

you can even go to NYCHA's website and look at the staten island developments, its not listed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM

402 posts, read 1,013,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
NYLifes2shrt, you live right next to Stapleton, the worst SI neighborhood. Park Hill is only a mile or so from Ward Hill. Get to know these places during the day in case you make a wrong turn at night. SI cops are nonexistent.

One time I was going down Vanderbilt on my way to the ferry late at night and the road was ripped up. Was waiting for a flat tire, and that would have been a very interesting situation.

True, true, but it doesn't matter if live on Ward Hill or South Shore if you want to take the Ferry you are going be near the projects (not as bad you say BTW). The history of Bay St. (this also includes Brooklyn...Coney Island for example) is that the projects were built near the water back in the day because they were considered dirty...but now this is not true and neighborhoods are turning around. I lived in some of the richest cities in the US and invest in real estate lightly. I did my homework on SI. I believe that SI near the Ferry will slowly change. Our block for example (million dollar homes) are nearly all transplants from other parts of the US. On Bay St. we have new residential apts. that were built and they are building more. This at some point will be a "hot" spot due to these reasons - fabulous old homes, view, short commute to the city. As we all know, we all wished at one time, boy, I wish that I could forsee change of that neighborhood back in the day and purchased the property before the prices rocketed.

One thing is true about NYC, we are out of space, city people are moving to Brooklyn, Brookyn pple are moving to SI and SI pple are moving to NJ. I know that there are more pple are like me...I have invited my friends from the city and a few of them were totally shocked! They are starting to look for homes here. I also know one thing in life that is absolutly true and that is "change" it must start from some place. This is food for thought....

Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post

True, true, but it doesn't matter if live on Ward Hill or South Shore if you want to take the Ferry you are going be near the projects (not as bad you say BTW). The history of Bay St. (this also includes Brooklyn...Coney Island, upper part of Harlem...for example) is that the projects were built near the water back in the day because they were considered dirty...but now this is not true and neighborhoods are turning around. I lived in some of the richest cities in the US and invest in real estate lightly. I did my homework on SI. I believe that SI near the Ferry will slowly change. Our block for example (million dollar homes) are nearly all transplants from other parts of the US. On Bay St. we have new residential apts. that were built and they are building more. This at some point will be a "hot" spot due to these reasons - fabulous old homes, view, short commute to the city. As we all know, we all wished at one time, boy, I wish that I could forsee change of that neighborhood back in the day and purchased the property before the prices rocketed.

One thing is true about NYC, we are out of space, city people are moving to Brooklyn, Brookyn pple are moving to SI and SI pple are moving to NJ. I know that there are more pple like me...I have invited my friends from the city and a few of them were totally shocked! They are starting to look for homes here. I also know one thing in life that is absolutly true and that is "change" it must start from some place. This is food for thought...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 22,427 times
Default Reconsider Staten Island

For you and your family's sake - stay away from Staten Island.

I temporarily moved there because of family reasons. I previously lived in Bay Ridge. While I firmly believe one should never generalize a group of people, etc, I must say that the majority of people who live there are uneducated, rude, and downright classless.

Do yourself a favor - save money and purchase a home elsewhere. Stay with people who know how to act in society. By way of example: last summer, a neighbor decided that her children could play basketball outside their home at 10pm at night. This awoke me from sleep (I dosed off watching TV). When this continued for a half-hour straight, I got dressed, went to the house, introduced myself to the mother of the children, and asked if they could please keep it down since it was late and I wanted to sleep because I had to get to work the next morning (this was a week-night). The response from the women - "I don't care about my neighbors."

Classless. Pure and simple.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,587,351 times
What's the deal with Tottenville? Anyone know about that place on S.I.?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 PM

190 posts, read 979,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiggy View Post
Do yourself a favor - save money and purchase a home elsewhere. Stay with people who know how to act in society. By way of example: last summer, a neighbor decided that her children could play basketball outside their home at 10pm at night. This awoke me from sleep (I dosed off watching TV). When this continued for a half-hour straight, I got dressed, went to the house, introduced myself to the mother of the children, and asked if they could please keep it down since it was late and I wanted to sleep because I had to get to work the next morning (this was a week-night). The response from the women - "I don't care about my neighbors."

Classless. Pure and simple.
Yes. Staten Islanders, though represent one of the most affluent boroughs of New York City, are certainly crass and rather obnoxious.

And don't get me started if you're non-white and live on Staten Island. I've lived in major metropolitan areas most of my life. Every borough of New York except for the Bronx. New Haven, CT. Southern California (Westwood, Los Angeles) and Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area). Washington, DC. So far my brief stint living on Staten Island was akin to living in the Deep Bible Belt South, where if you ain't white, you ain't right.

Soon I'll be moving to Chicago. Perhaps it'll be as bad there, but I really just doubt that.

Having said that, however, the borough itself has a bit of a unique charm (if you took away the people). And being a former resident of L.A., it's the only thing in the area that's even remotely like the "urban sprawl" of the City of Angels.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM

190 posts, read 979,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Far away from everything except New Jersey.

It's not an ideal place to live on Staten Island, in my opinion, because of how far it is from everything, but it certainly is safe and affordable compared to the areas of the island clsoer to Brooklyn.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I am sorry I don't know that much about Tottenville. For me it was too far of a commute to the city.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Far away from everything except New Jersey.

It's not an ideal place to live on Staten Island, in my opinion, because of how far it is from everything, but it certainly is safe and affordable compared to the areas of the island clsoer to Brooklyn.
Do you know that I am in the city in less than 30 mins on the Ferry? The short commute to the city was one of the biggest reason that I bought a home here on SI rather than Westchester. And how far from everything? Please be more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City