Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM

95 posts, read 153,823 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a home but it is on a private semi gated street. Basically, the homes in the area all share a private street and each person owns a part of the street. There is an HOA that you pay 600 annually to maintain the street, gate and insurance for the street for garbage collection and plowing. The benefit imo is no traffic on the street, no pedestrians and I don't have to maintain a sidewalk. The drawback is the 600 annually to the HOA. Would you consider such a purchase and if so why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
no, never.
id never live anywhere with an HOA.
do not do it. Id rather the city take care of it.

absolutely not, gated or not, pedestrians or not. no, I cant stress it enough.

plus, there will be that one neighbor, and there always is that one neighbor that you will hate, trust me on that.......

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 PM

419 posts, read 623,226 times
yeah never buy hoa, too much politics involved. Eventually one of those power trip HOA managements gonna give you heache.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:57 AM

The HOA for this property isn't much involved. They just maintain the street and gate and that's about it. If anything goes wrong with the sewer or water line the HOA will take care of it. The homes aren't joined together either and have a good space between them. They are also fenced. It looks like any other block but the street they are on is private. The house is a recent build and is really nice. I can't find anything like it in the Queens neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,585,378 times
I am curious. What is semi-gated. How does one partially gate?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I am curious. What is semi-gated. How does one partially gate?
The street has one electric gate. The other end is open to everyone. It wouldn't be good to have 2 gates.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,332,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
The street has one electric gate. The other end is open to everyone. It wouldn't be good to have 2 gates.
Then what the heck good is the gate doing??? The crooks can just drive around the block!!! That's just daffy.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Then what the heck good is the gate doing??? The crooks can just drive around the block!!! That's just daffy.
Well it is a dead end and there are cameras all over the place. I am going for it. The only rule is you park in front of your house and they are reducing the HOA dues by half. There has never been an increase or assessment.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 PM

4,370 posts, read 4,332,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
Well it is a dead end and there are cameras all over the place. I am going for it. The only rule is you park in front of your house and they are reducing the HOA dues by half. There has never been an increase or assessment.
Before you said the 'other end is open' and now you are saying it is a 'dead end'. You're not making much sense. It's either gated closed or it's open.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM

It is a closed gate. I mean if anyone goes on the the street the other end is closed. I already said that before. One end open and the other end closed with an electronic gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: