Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM

31 posts, read 159,444 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, i know my question sounds silly, but i am new to NYC

I will be arriving at Penn Station by LIRR, was checking Google, i saw that the PATH station is near Manhattan Mall on 33rd Street, is that correct?

I had initially thought that PATH trains leave from Penn

anyway, i did check the street view on Google, but i couldnot find anything near the PATH station that looked like one, is it underground like a subway station? and how much will i have to walk from Penn Station to reach the PATH?

also does Penn Station has am exit on 33rd street, have been to Penn Station twice before and it looks hopelessly confusing to me

Hope somebody answers my query

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
TransitGuide: Transit Hubs: NY Penn Station (http://www.transitcenter.com/transitguide/hub_nyp.htm - broken link)
Here is a street map of Penn Station. It lies between 31st & 33st and between 7th & 8th Aves. All of the tracks are below ground level and there is an information booth near the ticket counters in the main area where they can help you with the most efficient exits and entrances.

Service - PATH - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
Here is information about the Path Train to New Jersey next to the orange square which will take you to Journal Square in Jersey City, their main transportation center. The train leaves every five minutes or so. You can pull down the link for specific time schedules. The walk is approximately one to two blocks and located at 33rd street and 6th avenue.

Btw, I was staying at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City a couple of years ago when they had a very fancy Indian wedding there. The groom rode a horse which was fully embellished in colorful regalia, quite impressive.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
The Path Station is indeed underground. You can access it under the Manhattan Mall (& under the 34th Street subway station at the intersection of 6th Avenue/Broadway). Exit Penn Station going east and it is a short walk (from Penn Station to the Path Station).

Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 AM

31 posts, read 159,444 times
Thanks a lot to all

I was checking Google, there is this picture of entrance/exit of Penn Station which opens onto the 7th Avenue/FAshion Avenue , the one where Madison Square Garden is prominently mentioned, is this only an entrance or can i use that to exit the station too??

Again, many thanks in advance

btw SGoldie, an Indian wedding may seem impressive, but its nothing but a big show of the wealth of the groom's/bride's family and utter wastage of money. Even in times like these (the 2nd economic depression) people waste money like anything, when you see one in India, you will forget about the economic recession for sometime. High time this wastage of money stopped

Last edited by DrSunilChauhan; 09-25-2009 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: reply to member

Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Yes, you can exit Penn Station along 7th Avenue. You'll be on the west side of the street, so to get to the subway/PATH station at Herald Square (that's 34th Street/6th Avenue), you have to cross 7th and walk one block in that direction.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
The main, eastern entrance/exit for Penn Station is at 32nd Street - just walk east one long block on 32nd from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue and then go north a short distance along the west side of 6th Avenue to get to the aforementioned PATH station entrance at the Manhattan Mall.

Incidentally, when you get on the PATH train, make sure you get on a train that is traveling to Journal Square and not Hoboken. This assumes you are traveling during the week between 6 AM and 11 PM; if you are not it doesn't matter because the same train serves both stations. The Journal Square trains will have a sign lit up that says "JSQ", while the Hoboken trains will have signs lit up saying "HOB".

Old 09-26-2009, 04:43 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
There is an entrance at that triangular park. When you walk out of Penn Station you go 1 block East towards the Empire St Bldg. There are several entrances to the PATH there. I think that is between 33rd and 32nd St and 6th Ave and Broadway all come together.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 21,280 times
There used to be a walkway underground from Penn to the path train without going outside.....I do miss that tunnel, it was by the number 7 train

Old 07-09-2016, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 21,280 times
[url=http://gothamist.com/2009/02/04/underground_passageway_between_hera.php#photo-1]Underground Passageway Between Herald Square Subway and Penn Station May Reopen: Gothamist[/url]

Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Depending on where you are coming from, you might be able to get off at Newark Penn Station. In that case the PATH is right across the platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City