Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 10,318 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional, 23 years old. I currently live in Astoria but am being priced out!

I will be commuting to Hastings-on-Hudson next year for work. I am looking at cheaper neighborhoods with a still reasonable commute, Flushing came up in my mind.

I am looking to pay about $1000-$1100 for rent. Can anyone recommen:

1. Any good neighborhoods in flushing (reasonably nice for my budget)

2. Places with parking

3. I am a young white guy, i know theres a large asian population, is it fairly diverse here despite being majority Asians, not racists just asking.

4. Safety is also key, very important to me to be able to walk around / come home late at night.

I know this might sound like a fantasy to get all of this for my budget, would this be possible here? Otherwise I think I will hafta look at woodlawn lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
1. flushing isn't cheap
2. Parking is horrid...one of the worst in queens
3. It isn't diverse.
4. Its very safe. You can find something to eat 24/7

why in the world would you want to commute from Flushing to Hastings on Hudson? It sounds a bit too much unless you have ties to Queens. I recommend White Plains for you. Yonkers is far closer though

Old 07-08-2016, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 10,318 times
Well cheaper than astoria, commute is about 40 min, not that bad, i take public transport for that long now. And i enjoy being in the city, but maybe i should consider moving out of the city.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 PM

91 posts, read 72,441 times
Flushing is safe for anyone. I used to go to school at night and go out late on the weekends on the 7 and walk 8 blocks home. The safer apartments are near Sanford Avenue. Kissena park is awesome. There was one good non-Asian sports bar Roosevelt bar that was pretty good to watch some games. The Met store closed so you will have to food shop at the Asian Markets, fairly cheap but pretty crowded. The latin bakery on main street is really good!

You may get lucky and get an apartment in a complex but I think renting an apartment in a house may be within your budget. Many older empty nesters Asians sell their homes and buy/rent in the area because it is convenient, also you have the mainland chinese money coming in so rent is increasing, more demand.

I enjoyed my time in Flushing but it was tough meeting people but I am sure your friends will visit you since you already live in Queens. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Your biggest issue will be the commute. If your considering driving, then move further into NE Queens like Auburndale or Whitestone. Maybe look into Pelham Bay in the BX. If not, don't stray too far from the 7, since you'll hate having to do the bus-subway-MNRR slug everyday. Also, look into Kingsbridge in the BX where you can grab the railroad to Hastings at Marble Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City