U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM

546 posts, read 714,376 times

Advertisements

Does it balance out?
If 1 Bed room cost $1500 in NYC area like Brooklyn, Bronx
And 1 Bed Room costs $1000 on suburb like Albany,NY/ Kansas City,MO + car,gas,maintence etc.
Does it balance out.

I Live in NYC. I am just wondering. Trying to relocate. How much would go on a car monthly? Unlimited metro card is $116 around NYC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 AM

128 posts, read 160,155 times
If you're renting for that affordable price, then the suburbs are cheaper if the time it takes to get to work by car is less than 40 mins.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,814,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Does it balance out?
And 1 Bed Room costs $1000 on suburb like Albany,NY/ Kansas City,MO + car,gas,maintence etc.
Does it balance out.

I Live in NYC. I am just wondering. Trying to relocate. How much would go on a car monthly? Unlimited metro card is $116 around NYC
A lot of factors are missing from this equation.

1. Do you own a car now, if not how much is the monthly payment?
2. What are you looking at in gas every month
3. how much is insurance every month?
4 Every six months you need to change the oil (how much is that cost)
5. When it breaks, if not under warranty you will have to pay to have that fixed. (variable cost)
6. Will you have to pay parking here in NYC with a car (if you are commuting from suburbs)
7. If you are commuting what about tolls for bridges and tunnels?
8. You will have to change your tires every so often, usually front two are cycled out to the rear and then you buy two new front tires

You have to take all this into considering when making a Apples to Apples comparison.

So I lived in Miami for a while before coming back to NYC.

For me my monthly was 315 for a Kia Soul
Oil change was 50 bucks every six months
I think my insurance was like 150 every month (if I remember right)
I think my tires were like 400 for two. That was every 1.5 years I think. I had to get all weather tires because the rainy season was no joke down there. You could hydroplane off the road if you weren't careful.
I think I paid 35 bucks a week in gas if I remember right (maybe a Little more)
Oil change was about 50 bucks every six months
It was new so most things that broke were under warranty
I had to pay a toll every day to commute to work for awhile. Don't ask me how much, I don't remember. I would say it was about 100 a month.

I am sure I am missing some things but that can give you something to run with in terms of budget.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,795,117 times
And don't forget to account for cost of living and differences in salaries between the areas.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,814,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
And don't forget to account for cost of living and differences in salaries between the areas.
Good point. He has to make sure that given the income he makes in NYC and how far it stretches in NYC, will the income he would get in the new locale go as far given the cost of living there.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:39 PM

15,322 posts, read 13,352,210 times
I'll pile on this point also.

What do you do? Can you work remotely? A big reason people live in and around NYC is that the salaries are higher and the advancement opportunities are better. Would you be giving that up if you moved someplace cheaper in flyover country?

Also, do you prefer an urban to suburban (or even rural) lifestyle. Some people consider NYC hell on earth (because of the density and cost), others wouldn't consider living anywhere else. Where are you on this continuum?

Really, I see the car vs no car issue to be a fairly minor issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post

Old 07-16-2016, 01:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 9,651,679 times
Westchester and Nassau County are not cheaper than NYC overall

Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 PM

47 posts, read 42,394 times
Albany and Kansas City are different regions (cities at that) than NYC. Has nothing to do with suburbs.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:08 PM

546 posts, read 714,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'll pile on this point also.

What do you do? Can you work remotely? A big reason people live in and around NYC is that the salaries are higher and the advancement opportunities are better. Would you be giving that up if you moved someplace cheaper in flyover country?

Really, I see the car vs no car issue to be a fairly minor issue.
yes , but in suburbian areas there is less pay but also low COL. 60k in NYC equals to 45k in suburb.
so it would equal out. but you need a car and its a hassle and may cost more.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:22 PM

3,853 posts, read 4,755,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Does it balance out?
Does it balance out.

A 1 bedroom in Kansas City or Albany will be far cheaper than $1000 per month.

If your pay is roughly the same it will be cheaper outside of NYC.
Owning a car isn't terribly expensive.

If your rent is cut 500+ a month, that's more than enough to cover an inexpensive car payment + insurance + gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City