Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,818 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in a townhouse in Queens and has an extra parking spot so decided to rent it out. This lady rented it and towed her suv there, no license plate. We didn't have any contract, just a receipt for the 1 month security deposit.

Everything was fine with getting paid for a few month, then I was told she would be on a trip and will pay a bit late. That went on for 4 month in which she kept on delaying. After that for the next 2 month until now, she doesn't respond to text nor answer phone call. The phone will just ring endlessly with no voicemail option.

In total it has been 6 month+ since I got paid for the spot.

Anyone knows what to do in this case? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Probably not a good idea... push it to the street and eventually the city will have to clear it

Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
She may be behind on her car loan payments, the suv may have been stolen or possibly drugs are stashed in the vehicle or maybe the lady died.

Make a tracing of the VIN number (on the driver's side dashboard) and get a report on the vehicle's history from a company like carfax. If the title is clean, contact a lawyer who can arrange for the car to be seized in payment of back rent. If the car's history is tainted, call the police.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

It never had a license, which is kinda odd

Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,818 times
Here is a bit more detail on the car it is a 2006 BMW, and I ran a free NICB check, came back clean.

She said it has some engine trouble and was going to get it fixed after some month.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
No COntract???
Why do people do this?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
I would report it to police, no telling what that vehicle was used for it may have been stolen from another state.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:48 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,466,157 times
She probably used your space as temporary storage until she could afford to fix it. Possibly she got a "deal" on the car and figured she would buy it and fix it later.

Her finances never got any better and she still can't afford to fix it, so she abandoned it. I bet its not even registered or able to pass inspection. I would treat it as an abandoned vehicle and have it removed from your property.

Quote:
Private Property
You can ask the Department of Sanitation to remove a vehicle without license plates that was abandoned by someone else on your private property. You must sign a waiver, make the vehicle accessible for removal, and pay a fee based on the price of scrap metal.
Make your request in writing to:
Derelict Vehicle Removal
Department of Sanitation
Central Correspondence Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Vehicles owned by the property owner are not eligible for this service.
Abandoned Vehicle | City of New York

A 2006 BMW X5 weighs about 5000 lbs, thats what they base the scrap metal fee on. Sanitation will probably charge you $300-$400 on that weight based on this site: http://www.webuyscrapcars.com/cgi-bi...ow+All+Entries

P.S. Keep all records you have of the payments she made and the agreement you had with her. Make sure you can prove down the road that she didn't keep up her end of the deal in case she tries to fight it somehow. Keep all phone records of all the times you tried to contact her with no response. If you can send her a certified letter stating the vehile will be towed in X amount of days if no response, even better. Save all records!

Good luck

Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Oh, you are so much more patient than I would ever be ... and New York City folks are supposed to be so cold-hearted and mean!

Here's what to do as per the NYS DMV: https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/abandoned-vehicles

PS: Depending upon the rent that this woman didn't pay, I might take her to small claims court to get it back. My guess is that you're out at least nearly $1000, and likely more, so it seems to be worth the effort.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

PS: Depending upon the rent that this woman didn't pay, I might take her to small claims court to get it back. My guess is that you're out at least nearly $1000, and likely more, so it seems to be worth the effort.
good luck finding her for small claims. Sounds like she's out of the city, and probably state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: