Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times

Advertisements

You'all be raisis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM

85 posts, read 64,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How many blacks and Hispanics have you actually talked to about this? I'm pretty sure most don't resent Asians for mobilizing, if anything they just don't like the Asians who think other minorities are beneath them. And those types of Asians are in the minority and tend to be immigrants.
Maybe it cuts both ways. They can also be racist to Asian immigrants who are usually industrious, running a small business somewhere, investing in a piece of America. Or skilled immigrants who work so hard to get a skilled employment visa. Many times its they who are first racist to Asian immigrants, I have seen it. They don't like Asian immigrants for some reason then express it by making fun of their accents. Anyway from what i see at least in the Midwest, such occurrences are still in the minority, most blacks and Asian immigrants treat each other civilly and kindly. It's the overriding culture, and not in a fakey way like in the South. Many people are kind in the Midwest. There are hardly any Latinos in the Midwest.

Last edited by Islander7; 07-25-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 AM

85 posts, read 64,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
i've also heard blacks and hispanics refer to koreans as the asian jews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
thats pretty racist of all of those koreans making all that money.
they should have at least given free 40's out to people of color since they were so wealthy, they could afford it.
That's exactly like the predicament of the 3-4 th generation Chinese in Southeast Asia, who as minority control the economies of these countries, all the billionaires in southeast Asian countries are of Chinese descent except for one indigenous royal..resulting in Chinese known as Jews of the East in Asia. Chinese is known as Jews of the East. Indonesia crisis: Chinese suffer for their success as mobs target the `Jews of the East' | News | The Independent
The Southeast Asian natives/aboriginals grew insanely jealous and hate the Chinese bitterly, lynching them, cold blooded murder and rape in 1998 in Indonesia, as they felt the Chinese minority are rich off their backs while they are dirt poor and unsuccessful. And by the way, Koreans and Chinese are people of color too.

Last edited by Islander7; 07-25-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
Maybe it cuts both ways. They can also be racist to Asian immigrants who are usually industrious, running a small business somewhere, investing in a piece of America. Or skilled immigrants who work so hard to get a skilled employment visa. Many times its they who are first racist to Asian immigrants, I have seen it. They don't like Asian immigrants for some reason then express it by making fun of their accents. Anyway from what i see at least in the Midwest, such occurrences are still in the minority, most blacks and Asian immigrants treat each other civilly and kindly. It's the overriding culture, and not in a fakey way like in the South. Many people are kind in the Midwest. There are hardly any Latinos in the Midwest.
Well yeah, I'm not doubting that some lower class black people might mistreat Asians like that, however like you said it's in the minority. So it goes both ways but ultimately I don't think there's an awful lot of tension like between blacks and Koreans in 1992 Los Angeles.

There are tons of Latinos in the Midwest, at least in Chicago

Old 07-25-2016, 03:38 PM

269 posts, read 287,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
There are tons of Latinos in the Midwest

Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
There are tons of Latinos in the Midwest
yeah the Chicago area has a huge Latino population, and smaller Latino communities exist in many big Midwestern cities

Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
yeah the Chicago area has a huge Latino population, and smaller Latino communities exist in many big Midwestern cities
True.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
Relevant clip from Louis CK
https://youtu.be/6CmzT4OV-w0?t=2m8s

Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I was just chillin' in the subway waiting for the A train and some black guy starts yelling in my direction "Cracker! You ****ing cracker! Did you say something to me!?"

I said, "uh, no." and then he said, "Good move.." and made a motion like he would have tried to throw me onto the tracks.

I let it go and kind of laughed because I would have destroyed this skinny ass dude if he tried anything. But isn't that racist? Should I report this? It this a hate crime?
What is a "cracker"? What does it mean?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What is a "cracker"? What does it mean?
Slave masters used to crack their whips on their slaves. The whip would made a loud cracking sound. Hence, cracker.

It's a pretty stupid insult from a black person if you think about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City