Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 PM

57 posts, read 60,992 times

Advertisements

For the past 3 years I have seen an increasing number of publicly sanctioned ads and MTA announcements written ONLY in Spanish with no English counterpart. Most recently, I've been seeing a public ad only in Spanish advertising free meals during summer for children of a certain age. And all the time I will see MTA service announcement flyers listed only in Spanish.

Oh, and I am a white, English speaking woman and even I could deduce what the ad was saying. Do we not expect the same of the spanish speakers in this city? Can't crack open a dictionary or use common sense and read English flyers? I'm just asking.

Does anyone else notice this? Or find this weird? Do English-speaking kids not need services in this city? Shouldn't there be an English counterpart to any MTA announcement you tape up? Or English counterpart to the ad to feed hungry kids? Even if white people don't need it in this city, I think black families could use that info, no??

I'm genuinely curious why this happens, it seems passive aggressive almost. I don't even mind the random signs in Spanish that say simple words like "bathroom" or "push/pull" that any basic traveler would be expected to know letalone living somewhere else with a different major language. But entire PSAs sponsored by the city and MTA is kinda weird to not write in English. And don't give me the "There is no official language" bull
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
And there are a million ads only in English, what's your point?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And there are a million ads only in English, what's your point?
I don't care about private ads. I am talking about public, city sponsored ads. If you are going to put it in Spanish it needs to be in English as well. Otherwise you are sending the message only Hispanics need apply. And the fact that there are Spanish-only MTA flyers about a service disruption and NO English flyers to be found in that station is a problem. Seriously?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gushkaty View Post
I don't care about private ads. I am talking about public, city sponsored ads. If you are going to put it in Spanish it needs to be in English as well. Otherwise you are sending the message only Hispanics need apply. And the fact that there are Spanish-only MTA flyers about a service disruption and NO English flyers to be found in that station is a problem. Seriously?
White people don't typically need such services (free summer kid's lunches, etc.) and when it comes to service changes, whites typically find out via apps. They are trying to get across to poor, Spanish speakers.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:28 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
If you don't learn Spanish you're racist.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
White people don't typically need such services (free summer kid's lunches, etc.) and when it comes to service changes, whites typically find out via apps. They are trying to get across to poor, Spanish speakers.
Very self centered line of thinking. The world is not just white and hispanic. There's black people, jewish hasids, Asian immigrants. How selfish. The world doesn't revolve around spanish speaking people.

Crack open a dictionary or learn a few English words like English speakers know Spanish words. The number of older Hispanics I see that have lived here for years here yet stubbornly refuse to learn a few words is a problem. Let's integrate, people.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gushkaty View Post
Very self centered line of thinking. The world is not just white and hispanic. There's black people, jewish hasids, Asian immigrants. How selfish. The world doesn't revolve around spanish speaking people.

Crack open a dictionary or learn a few English words like English speakers know Spanish words. The number of older Hispanics I see that have lived here for years here yet stubbornly refuse to learn a few words is a problem. Let's integrate, people.
Why are you mad?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:34 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
I've seen the free meals ads in English only so far.

I've always thought the workers who put the ads up on the subway just put up whatever they have in a box and they don't bother mixing it up. Sometimes I see the same ad repeated throughout one subway car. Sometimes I see ads with specific dates for events that occured months ago.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Hey, call up the MTA and ask. And tell us what they say.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:43 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Why such a massive over reaction? The OP is acting as if all the ads in the subway cars are written in Spanish. lol @ the passive aggressive idiotic comment. We need a NYC counterpart to Quebec's Office québécois de la langue française for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City