Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I don't have all of the data that the MTA has. If I would have to guess, judging by some of the MTAs current infrastructure, the MTA is a joke when it comes to modern day data collection methods. That's one of the major problems with the MTA. Nobody actually knows what the **** is really going on.

I grew up in Brooklyn and there is no reason to have the N,F, and Q running overnight simultaneously . At least 2 of those lines can be cut and supplemented with perpendicular bus routes. Is that a perfect solution? No. Is it workable? Yes.

Same goes for the D and the 4 in the Bronx. They run parallel and most of their stations are within .3 miles of each other.

It's not the branch lines that are the problem; it's the trunk lines. The MTA does a lot of work on these lines during nights and weekends when needed. They can and do re-route trains when they have to. The problem has been the main trunk lines where they cant be rerouted (6the Ave, 8th Ave, Broadway, Lexington Ave, etc). However, in recent years the MTA has implemented their Fastrack program, which shuts down these trunk lines completely overnight for a one week period and blitz it to perform maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 06:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You can probably fit more people in 2 subway cars than an entire bus
I think you can fit 100 people in a subway car. You can't get that many on a bus.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:06 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
You can probably fit more people in 2 subway cars than an entire bus
Yeah I think so. There's actually construction going on the 3 in Brooklyn at two stations and for this weekend they shut down the entire line so they can have uninterrupted track access at those two stations. They're using shuttle buses to replace the train, mind you it's a Sunday and those buses are jammed. Buses can't do what trains do, that's why The Bronx has horrendous bus service because of bad planning.

I think we're getting off topic a little lol.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Not until LA has a vast, 24/7 subway system like New York
In terms of actual expansion, LA is already giving NYC a run for it's money. This year phase one of the Second Avenue Subway opens. It's just a two mile extension of the Q train. Who knows how long it will take to build the full 8.5 mile length subway. Meanwhile LA has had rapid expansion of new lines.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
...and yet, transit ridership in Southern California has actually been flat to declining. LA's core transit constituency is it's working class areas which many of the lines don't go through. I get the feeling that many middle-to-upper class Angelenos would rather not be seen on a bus (and sadly, there is a racial component to it)
Many of those lines go through working class areas. The blue LA goes through South LA to Long Beach. The red line goes from Downtown to North Hollywood (Hollywood and North Hollywood are not rich areas, they are working class). The yellow line goes to San Gabriel Valley and to East LA, via Downtown. The expo line goes from Downtown to Santa Monica, but it definitely goes through many working class areas.

The Crenshaw line is under construction and it goes through working class areas. The regional connector goes through downtown.

I am frequently in LA, and their bus and train systems have heavy use. So does Uber and Lyft.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Not until LA has a vast, 24/7 subway system like New York
NYC's system is 24 hours in theory only. At any time certain routes or entire lines can be closed nights or weekends for repairs.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There's no racial component.

Buses suck. It's a fact. Those who can afford not to take busses, will not take busses.

On the other hand, in a dense, urban environment, rail surpasses almost every form of transportation.
There is definitely a racial component too it. People from white affluent parts of LA can't stand to be on the bus with poor people, many of them Black or Mexican.

Whenever I've had to take the bus, I've taken if. I certainly have used other forms of transportation when it was more convenient, but I never had ANY fear of taking the bus. Besides NYC's subways are FULL of HOMELESS people, so why would I have problems with HOMELESS people on the bus in LA?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
So let's start.

The N serves the BMT Seabeach line and replaces the R during overnight hours.

The Q serves the BMT Brighton line and along with the N serve Broadway in Manhattan which has a decent amount of ridership during overnight hours with people wanting to go home late at night. Union Square, Times Square, Herald Square, pretty busy stations 24/7.

With the D/4 situation how are the trains going to get to their northern terminals if you don't run them to the Bronx? You can't simply cut the lines entirely since the 4 replaces the 3 in Brooklyn overnight, and the D supplements the A and N, they also run down different trunk lines in Manhattan. 6th avenue vs Lexington avenue.

Inconvenienced is an understatement, you'd be making the commutes for people who travel overnight hours a living nightmare (haha no pun intended) and buses don't have the same capacity as trains, nor can they move as fast as them.
There's other reasons why they don't cut either the D or the 4 off at night. On the Lexington Avenue line, late at nights lots of people are riding the Lexington Avenue local (both the 4 and 6 are local at night). Eliminate the 4 at night and you would cause late night crowding on the 6, plus increased wait times for passengers from Brooklyn Bridge to 125th Street. Plus some people on the Lexington Avenue line are going to Brooklyn.

As for the D, it runs with either the F or the A in Manhattan. Same difference you don't want to decrease capacity on those lines. Plus the D takes people from the West Side of Manhattan to the Bronx, and it takes people from Manhattan to a different part of Brooklyn than from the 4 train.

The people who run the MTA KNOW what they are doing in keeping all lines (not routes) running at night.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
LA still isn't there yet transitwise. Also, I don't know how their food scene compares. Until they beat NYC in these areas, they won't be number one. I also don't know how their regional rail service is. THey are still working on high speed rail and that might take years.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I think you can fit 100 people in a subway car. You can't get that many on a bus.
Exactly

How many buses would they need to run to compensate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC's system is 24 hours in theory only. At any time certain routes or entire lines can be closed nights or weekends for repairs.
Yeah but usually that doesn't happen, and often you'll just have to take the train one extra station and catch a train in the reverse direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City