Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times

Advertisements

Just curious if its only a myth or is it true, do NY yellow Taxi's stop for black people? Or have a hard time getting one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
I've never had a problem getting a taxi to stop for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,688 times
I heard Patrick Ewing once had some trouble getting one and he was standing right in front of MSG with a gigantic picture of himself hanging on the side of a nearby building.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Like most of those idiot cab drivers follow NBA and would know...I'd guess not.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:09 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
If you are young and black there are defintely taxis who will pass you by. If you look like a grown up the chances of getting passed by are much less, but still there.

If your diver is an immigrant--as probably most are these days are--the chances of you getting passed by are reduced. I've found that immigrant drivers, many times people of color, often don't bring the same baggage about race with them that native born white drivers can.

If you are in the city and want to go the outer boroughs there is high chance you will get refused service.

If you are young, black, male, and ask a native born white driver to take you from the city to Brownsville...well, just make sure you have a working Metrocard that day.

And no matter what color or ethnicity you are, if you're refused service, get the medallion number, use your cell phone, and report the offender to 311 IMMIEDIATELY. They have a line set up for that and it works. They'll haul the guy in for a hearing.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
I heard Patrick Ewing once had some trouble getting one and he was standing right in front of MSG with a gigantic picture of himself hanging on the side of a nearby building.
Getting a cab in front of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station is difficult for anyone, period. It’s the worst part of Manhattan to get a cab.

Dress is more important that race. If you’re dressed like a professional you have a better chance of getting a cab.

Also, cabbies don’t stop for all sorts of reasons. For example, some won’t stop if they see that you have luggage. They assume you’re going to the airport and don’t want to go to Queens. If I have a suitcase I usually hide it behind a car and then grab it after the cab stops.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,994 times
Its not a myth. Im a black female and have had many issues with cabs not stopping for me. Im used to it now...

Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you are young and black there are defintely taxis who will pass you by. If you look like a grown up the chances of getting passed by are much less, but still there.

If your diver is an immigrant--as probably most are these days are--the chances of you getting passed by are reduced. I've found that immigrant drivers, many times people of color, often don't bring the same baggage about race with them that native born white drivers can.

If you are in the city and want to go the outer boroughs there is high chance you will get refused service.

If you are young, black, male, and ask a native born white driver to take you from the city to Brownsville...well, just make sure you have a working Metrocard that day.

And no matter what color or ethnicity you are, if you're refused service, get the medallion number, use your cell phone, and report the offender to 311 IMMIEDIATELY. They have a line set up for that and it works. They'll haul the guy in for a hearing.
Thank You..I didn't know this. I'll pass this along to my friends as well...

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Also, cabbies don’t stop for all sorts of reasons. For example, some won’t stop if they see that you have luggage. They assume you’re going to the airport and don’t want to go to Queens. If I have a suitcase I usually hide it behind a car and then grab it after the cab stops.
I'll remember that tip. I swear, if people don't want to do their jobs completely and efficiently, they should just find something else to do.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Like most of those idiot cab drivers follow NBA and would know...I'd guess not.
There used to be pictures of him all over MSG.
Some of those pictures were several stories high.
Hard to miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City