Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 12:13 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to see new york in a day or two;
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Block island
Statue of liberty
Marthas Vinyard
Empire state building
Grand central station
9/11 memorial
Museum of art
Time square
Brooklyn bridge
Central park
Coney island
Staten island
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

I was thinking there might be private pilots with small cessnas that could fly us out of Boston and through to Marthas Vinyard, block island and on to new york then stay the night in new york and do a grand day tour. Is this possible or is it overly ambitious?

Where are there modest places to stay in a hotel without risking being in a really bad area. Is it better to do a bus tour or have a cab drive us to where we want to go that way we can stop and have nice lunch/dinner/breakfast and be on our own schedule. If we get out of a cab could be end up stranded with no other cabs around. Should we put the same cab on speed dial to come back and pick us up, or hire someone on uber to drive us around for a day.

We will be renting a car in Boston but I think Anchorage traffic is bad so I want to be really careful about avoiding traffic hell during a honeymoon. We are only going to spend maybe 4 days between boston and New York and then head up to the white mountians which is more our speed but we dont want to miss out on all the culture and historic monuments and iconic food but we dont want to deal with the traffic so I am trying to plan this portion of the trip out really carefully.

Maybe we should not even rent a car in Boston until we are ready to head north but we kind of have to book it way in advance.

We will stay a night in Boston and then go to a red socks game see the green dragon tavern where the revolutionary war was planned then we could maybe park the car at the airport in rhode island and do the island hop to new york? Can you walk/bus around marthas vinyard and block island in a day.

Also what is up with hoffman island, it looks abandoned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
First of all you should post this on the NYC forum rather than the NY State forum.

If you are friends with a private pilot and you want to share expenses with that person then it is possible. But otherwise private pilots can't hire out their services.

For a less expensive area but a safe one in NYC, I would suggest looking into hotels in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Midtown Manhattan with 24/7 subway service.

In NYC taking the subway is faster normally than taking taxis due to the high traffic volume.

Also if you are short on time (as well as money), I would suggest taking the Staten Island ferry for a great photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty. If you decide to actually do the Statue of Liberty combined with Ellis Island that will take you at least half a day. If you want to actually visit Staten Island, then the things to see there are the Chinese Scholar Garden in Snug Harbor and the Historic Richmond Town and these 2 will take you at least half a day each.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Or if I make it a flight training event and renew my BFR and maybe pick up another certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
First of all you should post this on the NYC forum rather than the NY State forum.

If you are friends with a private pilot and you want to share expenses with that person then it is possible. But otherwise private pilots can't hire out their services.

For a less expensive area but a safe one in NYC, I would suggest looking into hotels in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Midtown Manhattan with 24/7 subway service.

In NYC taking the subway is faster normally than taking taxis due to the high traffic volume.

Also if you are short on time (as well as money), I would suggest taking the Staten Island ferry for a great photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty. If you decide to actually do the Statue of Liberty combined with Ellis Island that will take you at least half a day. If you want to actually visit Staten Island, then the things to see there are the Chinese Scholar Garden in Snug Harbor and the Historic Richmond Town and these 2 will take you at least half a day each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City