Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 AM

222 posts, read 184,722 times

Advertisements

Long story short
I originally believed the accident was my fault for not properly checking my side mirror and I offered to pay the car that I hit for her damages (we were both changing into the middle lane and I swiped her. Just a front bumper and car was still drivable 100%. She needed her car fixed by a certain date. I told her I would have it by the 1st. Her damages came out to 1500 Reluctantly she agreed however we exchanged insurance info.

She called me a few days later to say she filed a claim with my insurance because she needed her car fixed immediately. I called my insurance to verify. So yesterday I called my insurance for an update. They said they are only paying for 20% of her damages because they are located in the front of her vehicle and some other nonsense the found during the investigation.

So now the woman is texting me for the remainder of the money to get her car fixed and bringing up our original agreement. Was I too rude when I told her to kick rocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM

779 posts, read 998,227 times
If both of you were changing into the same lane, both of you didn't know the other one was doing the same, both of you swiped each other, why did you feel thats its your fault?

This is a 50/50 case, both of you are just as guilty. Should have offered her to go her own way and cover her own damages, she screwed herself by making a claim through insurance.

Tell her to kick rocks with no socks...

Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM

223 posts, read 254,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
Long story short
I originally believed the accident was my fault for not properly checking my side mirror and I offered to pay the car that I hit for her damages (we were both changing into the middle lane and I swiped her. Just a front bumper and car was still drivable 100%. She needed her car fixed by a certain date. I told her I would have it by the 1st. Her damages came out to 1500 Reluctantly she agreed however we exchanged insurance info.

She called me a few days later to say she filed a claim with my insurance because she needed her car fixed immediately. I called my insurance to verify. So yesterday I called my insurance for an update. They said they are only paying for 20% of her damages because they are located in the front of her vehicle and some other nonsense the found during the investigation.

So now the woman is texting me for the remainder of the money to get her car fixed and bringing up our original agreement. Was I too rude when I told her to kick rocks?
No! She disregarded the original agreement. You don't owe her nothing but a Thank You for saving you $1200.00.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,375,174 times
Let her insurance sue your insurance, thats why you pay them.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 AM

3,672 posts, read 3,398,696 times
It's in the insurance companies hands now, she created the mess by reporting it. Remind her that she broke the agreement by calling the insurance company first, which voided the agreement you both had.
She has no recourse.

If she calls or texts you again, refer her to your insurance agent. That's why you pay them for times like this. They are paid to represent you so that you can concentrate on other things. Don't waste your time any further and don't feel guilty. You were BOTH at fault equally and accidents happen.

She thought she would be slick by reporting it and hoping to get a larger check, her plan failed and now she realizes that she should just have taken your money in the first place. Too bad so sad.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,602,857 times
Quote:
...She needed her car fixed by a certain date....she needed her car fixed immediately...
something is just fishy about that. What's the life or death rush if it's just cosmetic damage and there's no mechanical problems?

More to her story I think

Old 07-26-2016, 10:21 AM

491 posts, read 372,611 times
this post makes no sense. you suggested paying for it in the first place but you exchanged insurance info and she filed a claim?

it seems you admit you caused the accident. you promised to pay for it. this is why she didn't call 911 at the location. you can probably expect to see a lawsuit against you soon. either way, you were going to get sued if you didn't pay the balance.

and oftentimes, it's easier for an accident victim to sue, than to deal with insurance companies because insurance only think about bottom line, and almost always settle too quickly and victim never gets paid fully. she was trying to do you a favor because calling 911 would have documented the situation and she has lessened the repair cost for you by getting something out of the insurance co. you broke the initial agreement. you can only hope now that she hadn't documented everything and if you still refuse to pay you will then have to lie in court for what you did.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM

491 posts, read 372,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Let her insurance sue your insurance, thats why you pay them.
they can't. the 20% is a settlement amount that her insurance company already made with his. insurance co's don't care about you. this is why many people don't bother with insurance on smaller accidents. they just sue after documenting everything along with a call to 911 if the guy who caused the accident won't pay.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM

222 posts, read 184,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
this post makes no sense. you suggested paying for it in the first place but you exchanged insurance info and she filed a claim?

it seems you admit you caused the accident. you promised to pay for it. this is why she didn't call 911 at the location. you can probably expect to see a lawsuit against you soon. either way, you were going to get sued if you didn't pay the balance.

and oftentimes, it's easier for an accident victim to sue, than to deal with insurance companies because insurance only think about bottom line, and almost settle to quickly and victim never gets paid fully. she was trying to do you a favor because calling 911 would have documented the situation. you broke the initial agreement. you can only hope now that she hadn't documented everything.

How did I break the initial agreement ? She didn't want to wait until the date I gave her. So she took the matters in her own hands. And this was the result.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Quote:
Long story short

Call your insurance company and complain about her calling you personally. They will handle it.
What is supposed to be happening is her agent and an agent from your ins. company are dealing with this. Sounds like that is what is happening.

You two are supposed to talk to your insuance people, not each other. Except for exchanging insurance info. at the time of the accident. Never admit guilt.

Never make a deal with the other driver. Always call and report to your insurance company. It is illegal where I'm from, not to report it.

Hopefully you didn't put anything in text or writing about your "deal" I would just not answer, or block her calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City