Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 13,300 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the 400 block of Dekalb Ave in Bed-Stuy. I'm looking at an apartment in that area & I was wondering how that neighborhood was at night.

I'm in the process of moving to New York, & I'm still trying to figure out which neighborhoods are relatively safe, have street parking, & aren't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Is that west of Classon ave? If so its fine.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,300 times
Actually it's east. It's between Classon Ave and Bedford Ave.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by De_Nice View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the 400 block of Dekalb Ave in Bed-Stuy. I'm looking at an apartment in that area & I was wondering how that neighborhood was at night.

I'm in the process of moving to New York, & I'm still trying to figure out which neighborhoods are relatively safe, have street parking, & aren't too expensive.
You will hear gunshots at night. If that bothers you, look elsewhere.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
If you're easily scared and panicked by any other pigmentation on a person that isnt white, then maybe area is not for you. If you're actually an adult with experience dealing with people beyond your own kind then you wont have a problem.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If you're easily scared and panicked by any other pigmentation on a person that isnt white. Then maybe area is not for you. If you're actually an adult with experience dealing with people beyond your own kind then you wont have a problem.
Well SeventhFloor isn't white to my knowledge and he left a pretty negative comment about the area

Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by De_Nice View Post
Actually it's east. It's between Classon Ave and Bedford Ave.
Then not as fine. Hope its priced right, but probably not. You could find nicer for the same price, or less, elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well SeventhFloor isn't white to my knowledge and he left a pretty negative comment about the area
I'm sure silverbull wasn't referring his comment to me. Either way, that location is right by LG so anybody thats not used to living around that type of stuff is not going to like it. Or they're going to have to "compromise" with hearing "fireworks."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2016, 09:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sure silverbull wasn't referring his comment to me. Either way, that location is right by LG so anybody thats not used to living around that type of stuff is not going to like it. Or they're going to have to "compromise" with hearing "fireworks."
No, that's not what I meant. But he insinuated that you shouldn't have a problem with the area unless you're a racist white person, even though you said it's common to hear gunshots. I can tolerate gunshots though, not a partner or kids.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You will hear gunshots at night. If that bothers you, look elsewhere.
Seventh, have you been anywhere near that area lately? And I mean like within the last year or two? That specific stretch now has:

A kolache cafe (most people will have to google what a "kolache" even is)
A Vietnamese sandwich restaurant
Two or maybe three bars (Rustik Taven is the only one I've been to)
At least one coffee shop

And if you go east of Bedford on Myrtle there's even more:
A BBQ place that plays live country and honky-tonk music, no I'm not kidding)
A few more bars including a cocktail bar
Some type of tapas/fusion restaurant
And like two spots that serve a decent brunch (one which has a jazz brunch)

And that's JUST on dekalb. I haven't mentioned the other surrounding blocks like Myrtle, Nostrand, or Bedford and how quickly they have changed too. This all in the span of the 4 1/2 years I've lived in the area ...Yes there are projects on that block of Dekalb (one of the bars on that block is even called "project parlor" LOL but they serve absinthe for Gods sake!) but I've never heard gun shots. There are just too many business opening late on that block now, that cater to the new residents, to tolerate gun shots. I live close enough and frequent the subway stop near dekalb, that if there were gun shots to be heard, I'd surely hear them.

This has happened all in a span of under FIVE years! This rapid change is exactly why people who don't live or frequent an area, especially an area that is undergoing rapid gentrification, are not always the best at addressing the "how is this area" question. Sh*t, even I'm shocked at the rate of change and I live here. These types of changes are the reason why there are signes up all over Bed Stuy that say #ungentrifybedstuy and "we don't need another coffee shop". Oh and there is actually another coffee shop opening up and while I love a good Americano, even I'm like "really? Another coffee shop?"

Edit: the one incident that I do remember was from about two years ago when a bar fight turned into a gun fight. It was at a place on Bedford and Lafayette actually, not Dekalb. Some guy got shot in the leg after he got in a fight with someone at the bar. The guy that shot him did run in the direction of LG. Interestingly, that bar seemed really hood to me even though they tried to dress it up. For some reason it attracted the "hood element". The other bar across the street, Black Swan, has a totally different atmosphere with a nicely mixed crowd. The hood attracting bar has since closed down and opened back up as a straight up hipster bar that also serves tacos. Guess the owners were like "nope" and changed the atmosphere to change the clientele.

Last edited by jad2k; 07-26-2016 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City