Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'd like to see the token booth clerks be a jack of all trades, especially those in the lower volume stations in the outer boroughs. They should roam the station and platforms and do the following:
- assist customers buying Metrocards at the vending machines
- sweeping and cleaning
- painting over graffiti during the overnight hours
- helping people with directions, especially during weekends when there are a lot of service changes
- putting up signs about upcoming service changes

This wouldn't work in busier stations during the day since there's always people needing help with directions or Metrocard, but I see no problems with it elsewhere.

Union regulations aside, I don't see why this can't be done. It used to be that token booth clerks shouldn't leave the booths no matter what in case it was a trap for a robbery. If they switch completely to vending machines, then the reason no longer applies. No reason to be sitting around doing nothing.
lol Good luck with that my friend. That ain't going to happen. Keep dreaming.

Until the public refuses to put up with the MTA's and the (various) union's bull****, the MTA nor the unions have any incentive to improve efficiency or bring down costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Even at $3.00 MTA/New York City Transit still has one of the lowest fare box recovery rates of any mass transit system. For far to long the MTA borrowed, and borrowed, and borrowed to fund not only capital improvement but day to day operations and maintenance. That is not largely possible for some time as the MTA's debt load is huge and the cost of servicing same is vast and growing.

It costs about 14 billion per year to run the MTA and only about half of that comes in via tolls and fares. Worse the Mouth of Albany (Andrew Cuomo) still has not said where or produced solid funding for the next capital improvement plan.

MTA Fares Will Likely Go Up Next Year, But How Much? : Gothamist

More interesting reading: Subway Fares Keep Soaring But Slashing Labor Costs Isn't The Solution: Gothamist

NYC transit has the 8th highest fare box recovery rate in the United States as of 2015. For comparison I would like to know what the highway system is subsidized at each year too. Surely, the gas tax Fed & State DO NOT cover 100% of the highway systems expenses. (Fed gas tax has NOT been raised since 1988)

The highways are NOT free either.

The List: The 10 U.S. Transit Agencies That Rely Most on Fare Revenues - NJ Spotlight

1.San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit, California: 65%

2. Metro-North Commuter Railroad, New York: 55%

3. MTA Long Island Rail Road, New York: 48%

4. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, D.C.: 46%

5. Northeast Illinois Regional Commuter Railroad (Metra), Illinois: 45%

6. San Diego Metropolitan Transit System, California: 43%

7. Chicago Transit Authority, Illinois: 42%

8. MTA New York City Transit, New York: 41%

9. NJ Transit, New Jersey: 40%

10. PATH, New Jersey/New York: 40%

Old 07-31-2016, 12:23 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Until the public refuses to put up with the MTA's and the (various) union's bull****, the MTA nor the unions have any incentive to improve efficiency or bring down costs.
And thats the problem. We typically make a stand by boycotting a business or refuse to re-elect a public official. Neither can realistically be done here. The MTA board members are not elected. Too many people depend on the MTA to get to work to boycott.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:

Oh they are appointed by the governor. So the MTA changes when the state FORCES them to change. Put pressure on Albany and City Hall and that is how you get change in the MTA.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
By the time the MTA is done installing new signals and comm equipment, they'll be 20 years behind the newest technology once again.
A year ago they showed the communications equipment at West 4th Street. It was from 1933! Before they upgraded the 1,2,3,4,5,6, their signals and other equipment where from the early 1910s. 20 years behind the newest technology would be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Old 07-31-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see the token booth clerks be a jack of all trades, especially those in the lower volume stations in the outer boroughs. They should roam the station and platforms and do the following:
- assist customers buying Metrocards at the vending machines
- sweeping and cleaning
- painting over graffiti during the overnight hours
- helping people with directions, especially during weekends when there are a lot of service changes
- putting up signs about upcoming service changes

This wouldn't work in busier stations during the day since there's always people needing help with directions or Metrocard, but I see no problems with it elsewhere.

Union regulations aside, I don't see why this can't be done. It used to be that token booth clerks shouldn't leave the booths no matter what in case it was a trap for a robbery. If they switch completely to vending machines, then the reason no longer applies. No reason to be sitting around doing nothing.
The vending machines are obsolete with the smartphone apps!

Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The vending machines are obsolete with the smartphone apps!
Would still need some sort of vending machines for those without smartphones, no?

Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And thats the problem. We typically make a stand by boycotting a business or refuse to re-elect a public official. Neither can realistically be done here. The MTA board members are not elected. Too many people depend on the MTA to get to work to boycott.
Every change or expansion at the MTA happens due to the dictates of federal, city, or state officials. Elect officials that are interested in mass transit and push hard for better transit service.

People on the East Side lobbied hard for the money for the Second Avenue Subway, and it will be open at the end of the year or next year (phase one that is). People don't get positive change by sitting around complaining and bitching on internet boards. Get off this forum, join a transit activist group (I have) vote for candidates who are interested in adequately funding transit (I have), etc.

And though government unions do wish change, ultimately it happens. You can now order a new copy of your driver's license or do an address change ONLINE as opposed to going to the DMV and wait for hours. You only need to go to the DMV in person to apply for a license for the first time, or get a license plate for the first time.

Taxes can be paid online.

Once Cuomo decided to upgrade the MTA, I notice this year they announced a bunch of technical upgrades, some of which are already happening (buying your LIRR and Metro North tickets in a smartphone app). This was because people voted for a GOVERNOR who decided to do something about it. The same governor who is having a new LaGuardia airport built by the Port Authority because Joe Biden said it looked like a third world airport.

Phase One of converting the Farley Post Office into the new Penn Station is nearly complete.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Would still need some sort of vending machines for those without smartphones, no?
In the near future, yes, but ultimately the vending machines will be phased out. Smartphones have never been cheaper the only people who don't have them are old. Everyone else will need to get with the program or not buy a train ticket, as maintaining vending machines costs money.

Look at airline tickets. You pretty much have to buy them online these days. You don't stop progress on a long term basis because some people complain of change.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Every change or expansion at the MTA happens due to the dictates of federal, city, or state officials. Elect officials that are interested in mass transit and push hard for better transit service.

People on the East Side lobbied hard for the money for the Second Avenue Subway, and it will be open at the end of the year or next year (phase one that is). People don't get positive change by sitting around complaining and bitching on internet boards. Get off this forum, join a transit activist group (I have) vote for candidates who are interested in adequately funding transit (I have), etc.

And though government unions do wish change, ultimately it happens. You can now order a new copy of your driver's license or do an address change ONLINE as opposed to going to the DMV and wait for hours. You only need to go to the DMV in person to apply for a license for the first time, or get a license plate for the first time.

Taxes can be paid online.

Once Cuomo decided to upgrade the MTA, I notice this year they announced a bunch of technical upgrades, some of which are already happening (buying your LIRR and Metro North tickets in a smartphone app). This was because people voted for a GOVERNOR who decided to do something about it. The same governor who is having a new LaGuardia airport built by the Port Authority because Joe Biden said it looked like a third world airport.

Phase One of converting the Farley Post Office into the new Penn Station is nearly complete.
Good points. What's the main transit advocacy group out there? Straphangers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City