Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 06:06 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Go to the east Bronx and look and see how many Dominicans you see. Dominicans in the Bronx mainly live in south and west portions of the borough that straddles and that opposites Washington Heights.
He didn't say where Domincans lived. He said that Dominicans and "nuyoricans" don't live in the same neighborhoods which isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
He didn't say where Domincans lived. He said that Dominicans and "nuyoricans" don't live in the same neighborhoods which isn't true.
I know he didn't, but I'm just pointing out for reference.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I know he didn't, but I'm just pointing out for reference.
But You did say "look how many Dominicans you see." Honestly you can tell many apart by just looking at them alone.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
But You did say "look how many Dominicans you see." Honestly you can tell many apart by just looking at them alone.
Im not sure if you know the Bronx well? Aesthetically West Bronx, physically and culturally looks identical to Washington Heights.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Im not sure if you know the Bronx well? Aesthetically West Bronx, physically and culturally looks identical to Washington Heights.
i wasn't talking about the landscape but actual individual humans. But Wow. You sure are a keen observer.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
I said rarely. I acknowledged it happens in Brooklyn and South Bronx to an extent. Another area was LES but that is changing.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Dominicans have been here longer and many have married into Nuyorican families, so that makes sense

(hasn't NY state stopped giving out new Section 8 vouchers a long time ago?)
They stopped giving out new Section 8 vouchers in 2009. There are some other governmental rent vouchers though. There's HASA, the Aids voucher, and the city has a couple of other vouchers. Not many landlords take them though, so basically you will not get a new apartment on any voucher ANYWHERE in Manhattan, INCLUDING Upper Manhattan. You won't get an voucher apartment in Brooklyn outside of East New York or Brownsvillege, and you won't get a voucher apartment in Queens outside Jamaica (Far Rockaway is gentrifying). Even the South Bronx these days rejects vouchers. One has to move out to some bad suburb like Mt. Vernon or Newark (in Jersey) though you might still be able to get voucher apartments in bad parts of the North Bronx.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yonkers rents appear to be similar to Bronx rents

I doubt many Mexicans and Dominicans in New Yoek even have section 8 vouchers.

Anyway, I hope some of them buy property, if not, they will be priced out to upstate NY, deep Jersey, Philly, etc.

Westchester and Nassau are NOT affordable, not even the bad parts.
Some of them will clearly have to buy property AND get good education AND start businesses, or else they will be priced out to those far away locations you mention. The same could be said of other minority groups.

I do think it's good that you do have wealthy Asian investors places like Flushing (in part because wealthy businesses from China invest in these places).

Old 08-15-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of them will clearly have to buy property AND get good education AND start businesses, or else they will be priced out to those far away locations you mention. The same could be said of other minority groups.

I do think it's good that you do have wealthy Asian investors places like Flushing (in part because wealthy businesses from China invest in these places).
I agree with this. However one can still get priced out if he or she is educated, but not highly educated like having a master's or 4 year ivy league or top private school degrees. One can have a business, but what if they can't afford rent, utilities, afford to pay employees, taxes. Same could be said for property, one can own, but can't afford rising cost of property taxes and utilities.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
There's a huge overlap in their appearance, and they tend to dress and talk similar (New York born ones at least)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City