Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yonkers rents appear to be similar to Bronx rents

I doubt many Mexicans and Dominicans in New Yoek even have section 8 vouchers.

Anyway, I hope some of them buy property, if not, they will be priced out to upstate NY, deep Jersey, Philly, etc.

Westchester and Nassau are NOT affordable, not even the bad parts.
Dominicans yes, Mexicans no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dominicans yes, Mexicans no.
Dominicans have been here longer and many have married into Nuyorican families, so that makes sense

(hasn't NY state stopped giving out new Section 8 vouchers a long time ago?)

Old 08-05-2016, 05:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
One of the things I feel sorry for is for Dominican and Mexicans who moved out of East Harlem and Washington Heights due to rising rents. Where will these folks move to when Hugh rents creep up, and or Landlords stop accepting existing section 8 vouchers.
What about other ethnicities that were priced out? Or you only feel bad for Dominicans and Mexicans?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
What about other ethnicities that were priced out? Or you only feel bad for Dominicans and Mexicans?
I think he mentioned them specifically since they're the main ones paying market rate rent in those South Bronx neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Some of these folks moved to the area from other parts of the city.

Quote:
I think he mentioned them specifically since they're the main ones paying market rate rent in those South Bronx neighborhoods.
I live in Mott Haven, and I know the realities of many folks. From what I have seen Mott Haven is no longer Puerto Rican majority. Majority of the Puerto Ricans moved away either to Florida, PA, NJ, Upstate, or East Bronx. On the flip side, Dominicans who could not afford rent in Washington Heights moved in, same for Mexicans in Spanish Harlem. Mott Haven is a very diverse area with old guard Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans and Sub Saharan and North African Muslims. Now you have slow, but growing transient white population. Refugees who could not afford rent in prime areas of NYC. Like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Astoria and Long Island City, Mott Haven offers similar option of being post industrial, while being close to Manhattan. The only real winners in Mott Haven or those that live in NYCHA who have subsidized rent, but that is also no guarantee because the city can sell NYCHA buildings which has happened to BronxChester houses which is now a Coop.

This was a longtime in the making. People in Mott Haven feared this since the 90s, and the harm was because of the neighborhoods close proximity to Manhattan. As for rest of the Bronx? Those who can not afford prime areas of the Bronx will have to move further in, and again causing rents to go up there as well. Its amazing that how some areas of Mott Haven is just as expensive or more expensive than rents in Riverdale which offers better quality, good schools and tranquility. People do pay a premium to live close to Manhattan and some areas close to Manhattan is complete crap.

I walk a lot, and I walk through different neighborhoods. Vacant lots in Mott Haven have been erased and within its wake, affordable and market rate housing is being built. I have seen courtyards newly built tear down again to build Market rate housing. The 40th precinct in Mott Haven is going to be up for sale as the new Precinct is being built next to a Juvenile detention center. I just hope some good can come out of the area, and certain changes can benefit all people except only for a few.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I live in Mott Haven, and I know the realities of many folks. From what I have seen Mott Haven is no longer Puerto Rican majority. Majority of the Puerto Ricans moved away either to Florida, PA, NJ, Upstate, or East Bronx. On the flip side, Dominicans who could not afford rent in Washington Heights moved in, same for Mexicans in Spanish Harlem. Mott Haven is a very diverse area with old guard Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans and Sub Saharan and North African Muslims. Now you have slow, but growing transient white population. Refugees who could not afford rent in prime areas of NYC. Like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Astoria and Long Island City, Mott Haven offers similar option of being post industrial, while being close to Manhattan. The only real winners in Mott Haven or those that live in NYCHA who have subsidized rent, but that is also no guarantee because the city can sell NYCHA buildings which has happened to BronxChester houses which is now a Coop.

This was a longtime in the making. People in Mott Haven feared this since the 90s, and the harm was because of the neighborhoods close proximity to Manhattan. As for rest of the Bronx? Those who can not afford prime areas of the Bronx will have to move further in, and again causing rents to go up there as well. Its amazing that how some areas of Mott Haven is just as expensive or more expensive than rents in Riverdale which offers better quality, good schools and tranquility. People do pay a premium to live close to Manhattan and some areas close to Manhattan is complete crap.

I walk a lot, and I walk through different neighborhoods. Vacant lots in Mott Haven have been erased and within its wake, affordable and market rate housing is being built. I have seen courtyards newly built tear down again to build Market rate housing. The 40th precinct in Mott Haven is going to be up for sale as the new Precinct is being built next to a Juvenile detention center. I just hope some good can come out of the area, and certain changes can benefit all people except only for a few.
Puerto Ricans outnumbered Mexicans over 3 to 1 in Mott Haven, Port Morris, and Melrose as of 2010 I think. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are almost 20% of the borough's population each, with Mexicans at 5%.

Also I wouldn't assume that the Mexicans in the South Bronx are there because they were displaced from East Harlem, many have been there since the 90s.

Anyway, I figured you used Mexicans as an example because they are not in rent stabilized apartments and NYCHA, meaning their fate depends on market rate rents. Puerto Ricans will always be around because of subsidized housing, and even homeowners. And of course those that can afford the market rate rents

Old 08-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Puerto Ricans outnumbered Mexicans over 3 to 1 in Mott Haven, Port Morris, and Melrose as of 2010 I think. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are almost 20% of the borough's population each, with Mexicans at 5%.

Anyway, I figured you used Mexicans as an example because they are not in rent stabilized apartments and NYCHA, meaning their fate depends on market rate rents. Puerto Ricans will always be around because of subsidized housing, and even homeowners. And of course those that can afford the market rate rents
No I meant Dominicans. Mexicans live in 10 fold in some apartments. Also lots of things can change in 6 years.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No I meant Dominicans. Mexicans live in 10 fold in some apartments. Also lots of things can change in 6 years.
The Mexican population grew a lot from 2000 to 2010 in that neighborhood, but I doubt the gap between them and Puerto Ricans could have closed because there were an estimated 20k+ more Puerto Ricans than Mexicans. I'm pretty sure Puerto Ricans still outnumber Mexicans in East Harlem, too.

Purely anecdotal, but I still see a lot more Carribean Hispanic people in the South Bronx than Mexicans. Aside from that stretch of 138th st with all the Mexican businesses, perhaps.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:

My point is other races are moving to the south bronx cause they got priced out of their neighborhood.
Why do you have to make the comment about transient white population?

Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
My point is other races are moving to the south bronx cause they got priced out of their neighborhood.
Why do you have to make the comment about transient white population?
Lol. What comment? Did it offend you. My statement about transient white does not sound offensive. Sorry if in not politically correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City