Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,992 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm having a hard time telling which of these would be a better area to live in, so it would be great if I could get some help (I hope it's alright to post this in the main forum)! I'm looking at a few places for rent: one off 196th and Broadway, one off Nagle and Ellwood (both in inwood), and one right in between kingsbridge and Riverdale (Irwin and 236th). Which of these neighborhoods would you guys prefer to live in, and why? My main priority is safety, as I'm a small young female, but I can't afford anywhere super nice and am working in Washington Heights so these are really convenient areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 AM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beirutando View Post
Hi all! I'm having a hard time telling which of these would be a better area to live in, so it would be great if I could get some help (I hope it's alright to post this in the main forum)! I'm looking at a few places for rent: one off 196th and Broadway, one off Nagle and Ellwood (both in inwood), and one right in between kingsbridge and Riverdale (Irwin and 236th). Which of these neighborhoods would you guys prefer to live in, and why? My main priority is safety, as I'm a small young female, but I can't afford anywhere super nice and am working in Washington Heights so these are really convenient areas.
Inwood has passionate community spirit and tons of natural beauty. Also you'll have access to both the 1 and the A trains, unlike the other location. However, one of the reasons we moved out of Inwood is the after-hours noise, which you can't really escape as a renter there, unless you live in the nook in the upper west corner of the neighbourhood.

There's an emerging latin nightclub strip there which can be seen as a perk or a major nuisance ... you'll also see and hear a lot of traditional NYC street culture...people hanging out on their building stoops in the summer, dominoes tables on the sidewalk well into the night, all modernized with _loud_ amplified music. Some argue that this makes the streets safer with neighbours looking out for each other. The nightclub scene makes things less predictable, because the visitors are generally not local.

Someone else here might have more knowledge of the Kingsbridge/Riverdale area. We decided against moving to Riverdale because we needed better public transit options.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:06 AM

107 posts, read 219,355 times
Quote:
We've been living in Kingsbridge for a little over two years now, right near Irwin and 238th and I would definitely recommend the area over Inwood if you are looking for safety. The neighboorhood to the west of the 1 train is the safest area in all of the bronx (excluding Riverdale up the hill) and much safer than most of Brooklyn / Manhattan. If you like open spaces, sunlight and like living in the city but not feeling like youre in the city Kingsbridge is the place to be. Van Cortlandt park is less than a 5 minute walk from the area you mention. Not crowded like central or prospect park. Trails for miles and miles, the greenspace there is amazing, really and I encourage you to check it out before you make your decision.

There are a ton of great restaurants in the area including an amazing french themed coffee shop on 238th near the train. There is a Target and BJ's for shopping, a wholefoods like grocery story, gyms, bars, sushi, pho, ramen, bronx ale house... the list goes on and on. Kingsbridge is seriously the most underrated neighborhood of the bronx. You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:13 AM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
We've been living in Kingsbridge for a little over two years now, right near Irwin and 238th and I would definitely recommend the area over Inwood if you are looking for safety. The neighboorhood to the west of the 1 train is the safest area in all of the bronx (excluding Riverdale up the hill) and much safer than most of Brooklyn / Manhattan. If you like open spaces, sunlight and like living in the city but not feeling like youre in the city Kingsbridge is the place to be. Van Cortlandt park is less than a 5 minute walk from the area you mention. Not crowded like central or prospect park. Trails for miles and miles, the greenspace there is amazing, really and I encourage you to check it out before you make your decision.

There are a ton of great restaurants in the area including an amazing french themed coffee shop on 238th near the train. There is a Target and BJ's for shopping, a wholefoods like grocery story, gyms, bars, sushi, pho, ramen, bronx ale house... the list goes on and on. Kingsbridge is seriously the most underrated neighborhood of the bronx. You will not be disappointed.
Garden Gourmet is tops!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
is Kingsbridge and Kingsbridge heights the same?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post

Correction: Inwood is one of the safest areas in all of New York City.

Personally, I would not do anything in the Bronx unless it's in Riverdale.
As for Inwood's people being out on the street - it is true, however, if you stick to the west of Broadway above 200 Dyckman Street, you should be okay. The area is very serene.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 6,992 times
Thanks for all of the opinions already! Yeah, I guess the main safety-related back-and-forth going on in my head is that the places I've found in Inwood are both east of Broadway and not too far north. It definitely seems like there are a lot of people out and about, which is fine with me and could be better in some ways (safety-wise), but if it's a lot of non-locals, could walking up Nagle from the subway at night be risky? And the part of Kingsbridge I'm looking at seems pretty quiet, which I like, but there weren't many people walking around at night, which could be a bad thing safety-wise.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Correction: Inwood is one of the safest areas in all of New York City.

Personally, I would not do anything in the Bronx unless it's in Riverdale.
As for Inwood's people being out on the street - it is true, however, if you stick to the west of Broadway above 200 Dyckman Street, you should be okay. The area is very serene.
Correction Correction:

If you look at Compstat online and compare the 50th Precinct which covers kingsbridge VS that of the 34th Precinct, which covers Inwood, you will see that inwood has a significantly higher number of felony assaults, burglaries and robberies.

Not sure if CD will let me post the link but they are below

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-050pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-034pct.pdf

Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the opinions already! Yeah, I guess the main safety-related back-and-forth going on in my head is that the places I've found in Inwood are both east of Broadway and not too far north. It definitely seems like there are a lot of people out and about, which is fine with me and could be better in some ways (safety-wise), but if it's a lot of non-locals, could walking up Nagle from the subway at night be risky? And the part of Kingsbridge I'm looking at seems pretty quiet, which I like, but there weren't many people walking around at night, which could be a bad thing safety-wise.
The area in Kingsbridge you are looking is filled with mostly families in the one/two family houses. In my experience living here most of them are taking kids in strollers for walks/to the park etc around 7pm but at 9pm its like a typical suburban neighboorhood, not many are out and it is quiet. Keep in mind the neighboorhood also has a lot of students from the private (expensive) manhattan college so you will see more people out and about during the school year. If you look on Riverdalepress.com and look up the crime tracker you will see that little to zero crime occurs between 231st/238th between kingsbridge ave and irwin ave. Most of the crime happens in kingsbridge heights, east of the train.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
is Kingsbridge and Kingsbridge heights the same?
No, Kingsbridge Heights is to the East of Kingsbridge. It's the neighborhood to the North of University Heights if I'm not mistaken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City