Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,982 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing an apartment in the Bushwick/Ridgewood area as an investment (hence probably a condo as most co-ops seem to have sticky rules about renting out).

I am hoping to get something small, maybe not in a prime area (one of the further stops, like Halsey L), for less than $300k. I did a cursory search and the inventory below $600k+ seems very low and consists of all new construction, which is not a requirement for me. I haven’t been watching that market, but is this typical?

Is my idea of getting something small for under $300k realistic (or something decent size for a little more?) if I wait around for the right thing to come along? This is the only sort of applicable listing I found 309 Cooper Street #2A, Brooklyn, NY 11237 | MLS #6321598 | Zillow and I bet they’re pushing it on the square footage.

I know I may hear that a house would be a better investment, but I already have two and can’t afford or handle another one. I thought about waiting around for 2019 L shutdown, but my gut feeling is it won’t do much for the sales market – might actually just create a lot of buying speculation.

Thoughts? Advice? I am not sure where to look aside from the typical channels (Zillow, Trulia, etc) and feel that Bushwick/Ridgewood is not really an area where you can dig up some treasure by going through a small local agency anymore. I appreciate any input/experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
309 Cooper st is across the street from the uranium enrichment site for the Manhattan Project that is now a superfund. That might have something to do with the low price. Other than that, I don't think you'll find anything around here for that low.

I found my house on Craigslist. Broker never listed it on a site. Ridgewood is like that. In general it doesn't have the available supply like you'll find in Bed-Stuy or Bushwick. People here don't sell. Its a tight market.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
That price doesn't exist in Bushwick now. Theres a reason the cooper hasn't sold in almost 3 months. At that price in Bushwick it would be gone already.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
There is really no tips. You just look at inventory. Pick one you like.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Condo inventory is low (this is typical of the NYC market) and finding something in BK for under $300K is going to be next to impossible (again, typical). I use Streeteasy for real estate listings.

As for that Cooper St condo, there is some issue with it for sure. Condos priced that low don't usually sit on the market for that long- unless there is a problem with it...

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Condo inventory is low (this is typical of the NYC market) and finding something in BK for under $300K is going to be next to impossible (again, typical). I use Streeteasy for real estate listings.
Or Queens for that matter, since the OP is looking there as well. You'd have to look deeper in Brooklyn and Queens to find prices like that.

Like I said, finding inventory in Ridgewood is tough. It always has been. Even though prices in Bushwick are higher, Brooklyn tends to have more properties on the market.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 AM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
the listing says 1 bed /2 bath but that seems to be a mistake, the floorplan shows a studio.

A studio for 329k in a not so great area, i wouldnt call that a good investment. Coops are not difficult, especially on the lower end. you can get a manhattan studio for that price or a large 1 bedroom in queens.maybe even a 2 bedroom.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyheights View Post
Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing an apartment in the Bushwick/Ridgewood area as an investment (hence probably a condo as most co-ops seem to have sticky rules about renting out).

I am hoping to get something small, maybe not in a prime area (one of the further stops, like Halsey L), for less than $300k. I did a cursory search and the inventory below $600k+ seems very low and consists of all new construction, which is not a requirement for me. I haven’t been watching that market, but is this typical?

Is my idea of getting something small for under $300k realistic (or something decent size for a little more?) if I wait around for the right thing to come along? This is the only sort of applicable listing I found 309 Cooper Street #2A, Brooklyn, NY 11237 | MLS #6321598 | Zillow and I bet they’re pushing it on the square footage.

I know I may hear that a house would be a better investment, but I already have two and can’t afford or handle another one. I thought about waiting around for 2019 L shutdown, but my gut feeling is it won’t do much for the sales market – might actually just create a lot of buying speculation.

Thoughts? Advice? I am not sure where to look aside from the typical channels (Zillow, Trulia, etc) and feel that Bushwick/Ridgewood is not really an area where you can dig up some treasure by going through a small local agency anymore. I appreciate any input/experience

Area surrounding 309 Copper Street isn't the best for the money they're asking. Also the units are small, narrow and aren't a great value, again for the money being requested.
Bushwick Condos for Sale -- 303-309 Cooper Street | Brownstoner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: