Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 PM

14 posts, read 20,063 times

Advertisements

Hi,

In a public co-op (like Mitchell Lama), who is responsible for repairs, building management or tenants? Specifically, for damage such as bathroom walls rotting behind tiles and ceiling damage from a leak from apartment above.

Would that be within confines of general/normal wear and tear?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 01:10 AM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
you should have insurance to cover that.

bldg mgmt is only responsible for common areas.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
That is a dicey area kimark. Co-ops try to get out from under as much responsibility as possible. (Insurance companies do the same.)

I would think that water damage from pipes INSIDE the walls would pretty clearly be the responsibility of the co-op.

A guy in our building has been squabbling with management for years over his double paned windows that fogged inside.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:08 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Both of those sound like things that would be the responsibility of the building because the problem is within the walls. You can start by mentioning it to the super, as if you expect him to take care of it. However, I've encountered supers who are either lazy or ignorant and claim it's the owner's problem. You can check your paperwork, ask your neighbors, or look around for an organization that will answer an easy legal question for free.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 20,063 times
Thanks so much, will definitely look into it more!

We're also wondering if not for such repairs, what is paying for maintenance actually for?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
The leak from above might be the responsibility of the shareholder above just the same, the super should help look into it/narrow it down.

As far as what you are paying for, the annual financials breaks that down. Some assume they are paying maintenance that is what they get, it a portion of the coop budget (that pays water, utilities including heat, insurance, mgmt, underlying mortgage etc..

Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That is a dicey area kimark. Co-ops try to get out from under as much responsibility as possible. (Insurance companies do the same.)

I would think that water damage from pipes INSIDE the walls would pretty clearly be the responsibility of the co-op.

A guy in our building has been squabbling with management for years over his double paned windows that fogged inside.
lol where do you live? why is management so petty? In mine they would never do that.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
In my building the housing company pretty much picks up everything that is not within the apartment. Pipes and leaks would be the housing company. cosmetic repairs inside the apartment we pick up. If my fridge or stove break, I have to go buy a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City