Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times

Advertisements

I haven't use Uber in NYC for the 20 years I been living here. I did use Uber out of NY state, and the experience was just ok. It is just transportation, so it didn't matter much to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Uber is mainly for rich, corporate, and drunk people.
Other people use the MTA or cabs.
That's what I experienced.
Be nice when commenting...:-)
I barely use cabs but on the occasions that I require one either there are no cabs in sight, they don't want to stop for you (maybe being a minority), or the gypsy cabs that do stop want to charge some ridiculous prices. The app easily tells you one will be there in 5 mins and you don't even need cash or tip, they make it ridiculously easy.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Gett has no surge so I think they are going to be really pesky for Uber. Not to mention there's Lyft and a few others. I welcome the competition. Yellow Cabs and Gypsies were on a high horse.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
I use Uber moderately frequently: late at night from the Metro North, getting to New Rochelle to get Amtrak, going to Westchester, LGA or JFK airports.

I do find many of the drivers (at least the ones I've had in my neck of the woods) live in NJ or in LI.

I've yet to take Uber in Manhattan. Never really saw the purpose (for ME) when there are buses and trains virtually everywhere.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
I rarely take a cab of any variety, but when I do, I prefer Uber, as I can request it to come to me, and I don't have to stand there with my arm up. The cars are also usually nicer and cleaner. My mom and I arrived at LGA this past Sunday and there was no taxi line, so we decided to just do that, rather than trying to meet up with a driver. The guy didn't have an EZPass and we had to cross a bridge - what kind of cab driver doesn't have EZ Pass?!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times
My one and only experience using Uber was when I missed my MTA stop in Westchester late at night and the next train wasn't due for another 40 minutes and local taxis were even further away. Uber showed up in 5 minutes, so it was pretty convenient.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
When I'm in NY, I use Uber Family pretty regularly, especially in the outer boroughs (like traveling from Queens to the Brooklyn Children's Museum). It's a lot easier than hauling around a car seat.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:43 AM

223 posts, read 255,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
OK, I may be the only one, but using Uber in NYC feels a bit odd to me. I moved here recently but I spent extensive time in NYC from 2009-2014, a good portion of when Uber was in its infancy. I rarely take cabs to begin with, but when I do it's a cab and not Uber.

Don't get me wrong, I love Uber. I've taken it plenty of times in other cities...it just feels a bit weird to do so in NYC. I'm not saying this for political reasons or to give money to the taxi drivers, but the bulk of my time in NYC in the past was when Uber didn't here...so I'm used to cabs. I can see why the city doesn't like Uber. I'm someone who never took cabs outside of NYC before, so I love using Uber when I'm in cities that have bad public transit or it doesn't run 24/7.

Maybe I just need to adapt? I've taken Uber once here so far, and a cab 4-5 times.
I use UBER more than I drive. I'm actually an UBER VIP (Yes, that is a thing). It's convenient. I also use LYFT.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I despise Uber. I know of no other company that has had so many problems with the law in so short of time. I was offended at the way they lobbied me directly seeking voters to help them rig laws in their favor. They have a poor record on their treatment of their drivers. And they propose doing exactly the opposite of what society should be doing - we should be moving toward fewer cars and more mass transit.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:42 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I despise Uber. I know of no other company that has had so many problems with the law in so short of time.
lol, any new disruptive company will be attacked legally by the entrenched special interests and competitors. If anything, those attacks are a badge of honor and the medallion owners like you who foolishly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars are in major trouble. The drivers are huge winners for getting out from under your enslavement and obviously the riders get better, more reliable, more convenient, and cheaper rides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City