Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 21,332 times

Advertisements

So I won one of the Housing lotteries and I am hype. I was looking though all the paper work i have to bring in
until I saw "Letter from current Landlord or 12 months receipts confirming rent payments". I currently still live with my parents,( the whole reason I am looking for my own apartment now) they are groovy people and so not charge me for rent or anything. I help out with watch my siblings when they are out and buy food and such. So what do i bring since i don't pay rent ?

I would like this interview to be very successful so i want to have everything in tip top shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 AM

246 posts, read 485,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corei5union View Post
So I won one of the Housing lotteries and I am hype. I was looking though all the paper work i have to bring in
until I saw "Letter from current Landlord or 12 months receipts confirming rent payments". I currently still live with my parents,( the whole reason I am looking for my own apartment now) they are groovy people and so not charge me for rent or anything. I help out with watch my siblings when they are out and buy food and such. So what do i bring since i don't pay rent ?

I would like this interview to be very successful so i want to have everything in tip top shape.

I am in the same boat but I pay rent. just have your parents write a letter stating that you pay rent. what lottery picked you?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM

223 posts, read 255,924 times
Quote:

Have your 'groovy' parents write a letter confirming:
-Your residency at the address.
-Length of residency
-Rent paid each month.

Also, in case there is a request for receipts. You might want to add in the letter that "rent was paid in cash".

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 485,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
-Length of residency
-Rent paid each month.

Also, in case there is a request for receipts. You might want to add in the letter that "rent was paid in cash".

Good luck!

I think i need to add that part to my letter. i just have number 1 and 3 on your list.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
-Length of residency
-Rent paid each month.

Good luck!
Even though i don't pay rent. Should i have in the letter for how much they pay?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Get ready for them to scrutinize your bank statements with a fine tooth comb!

My brother in law got picked for a lottery and they questioned every single withdrawal/deposit in his account. Sometimes he would go out to dinner with the group and put the tab on his credit and collect cash from everyone then deposit that cash into his account. Or sometimes he would charge something on his card for my sister and she would deposit the money into his account. The interviewer/s found that to be "suspicious" and denied him due to him not meeting some sort of income restrictions.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-10-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Get ready for them to scrutinize your bank statements with a fine tooth comb!

My brother in law got picked for a lottery and they questioned every single withdrawal/deposit in his account. Sometimes he would go out to dinner with the group and put the tab on his credit and collect cash from everyone then deposit that cash into his account. Or sometimes he would charge something on his car for my sister and she would deposit the money into his account. The interviewer/s found that to be "suspicious" and denied him due to him not meeting some sort of income restrictions.
It is so ridiculous that they'd do that. I mean, really? It's none of their business if 40 bucks gets thrown into your bank account from time to time. It's your wages that should really matter, coupled with your W2's - that'll show your real income.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
It is so ridiculous that they'd do that. I mean, really? It's none of their business if 40 bucks gets thrown into your bank account from time to time. It's your wages that should really matter, coupled with your W2's - that'll show your real income.
His problem was that he had to make under a certain amount per year and with these miscellaneous deposits, it brought him over that limit. They looked at it as "unreported income". He had no idea that they were going to be that thorough with their income verification process. Like you he thought they were just going to ask for paystubs and W2's. It is ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM

223 posts, read 255,924 times
Quote:
Even though i don't pay rent. Should i have in the letter for how much they pay?
]Mr. John Doe, Sr.
123 City Data Street
New York, NY 10003

To Whom It May Concern,

Housing Interview Place
123 New York Street
New York, NY 10003

This letter is verification that John Doe resides at 123 City Data Street #4D, New York NY 10003. John Doe has been a tenant at the above address since March 2014. John Does pays $800 per month in cash and has always paid on the required date.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (718) 555 -5555.

Thank you.

That should be the basis of the letter. If wanted you can add when the 'lease' will expire. Then, there always the 'truth' route. Where the letter would state:

This letter is verification that John Doe resides at 123 City Data Street #4D, New York NY 10003. John Doe has been an occupant at the above address since March 2014. John Does does not pay rent or utilities.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (718) 555 -5555.

As for previous post. Bank statements are ONLY supposed to be scrutinized for income verification if stubs are not provided and with an application having no rental history - there may/may not be added requirements.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Thanks Harper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City