Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,051,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
how about wearing a stinky shirt, as those homeless ppl do? they win their way around all the time.
Most people won't want to not shower to get space if they can help it. It would be better to bring a bucket of stinky fish on the train. I have seen people do this actually. Though subway riders are hardy souls and little chases people off the train from what I have seen. Especially if there is nowhere to really go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 04:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,593,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Most people won't want to not shower to get space if they can help it. It would be better to bring a bucket of stinky fish on the train. I have seen people do this actually. Though subway riders are hardy souls and little chases people off the train from what I have seen. Especially if there is nowhere to really go.
Sweetie, you forgot my homeless guy with pants down story on the 4 train.

I generally shove my way through. I'm from here, I don't give a damn.

If the train is so crowded that I know I'm going to be riding with someone's elbow in my face or some other really uncomfortable way of riding, I'll wait for the next train.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,333,546 times
I live near two terminals so crowding/ getting a seat really isn't a problem. What really annoys me are the tourists who like to block everything, or the people who stand and block one side of the stairs just to view their cellphone or something. Man that really really pisses me off...

...but it would be a bit counter productive to assault people taking the subway and then take MTA civil service exams so I keep my cool

A bit of a tip though it may not apply during the peak of rush hours, try to ride in the last 3 cars if you want a seat. So far it's been working out taking the 4 going home in the evenings.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 PM

567 posts, read 499,849 times
I do any of these:
Yell giberrish really loud;
yes, if the blocker is a student or "the King of America" I keep walking and push past them;

Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM

31,633 posts, read 26,469,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
What do you do when people block the exits/entrances to subway cars?

As in they see you, they know they are in the way. They do not move to the side or try to make life easier?

1. Budge them out the way gently? (sometimes the crowd behind will push you into them anyway)
2. Walk as far as you can up to them, then say excuse me and hold up the line of people behind you?
3. Not board/exit the train at all
Has long been one of the rules for riding NYC subway, if you are blocking the door either get out of the way or be prepared to be pushed (out of the way).

I'll say excuse me or something but still keep moving towards that door. Learned my lesson years ago waiting for some idiot to get their act together, door closed and train began moving... Had to wait and get off at next stop, then walk back...

Anyone who has lived here long enough and or taken the subway often knows they have to move or will get pushed aside. I've seen people pushed clear out of the train onto the platform.

As for getting on when people are blocking the door, it simply is the reverse. It chuffs my behind when people crowd by the doors when the entire middle of car is almost empty or at least there is room. Again you either move or be prepared to be moved.

Since my local is the #6, have vast experience with both sides of the coin. This train is always crowded with rush hours really bad. Some mornings after letting one train pass or you are running late it is time to do what you've got to do in order to get on.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,380,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
What do you do when people block the exits/entrances to subway cars?

As in they see you, they know they are in the way. They do not move to the side or try to make life easier?

1. Budge them out the way gently? (sometimes the crowd behind will push you into them anyway)
2. Walk as far as you can up to them, then say excuse me and hold up the line of people behind you?
3. Not board/exit the train at all
Stand right near them and rip a good one!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
Keep walking, shoulder first!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 PM

1,505 posts, read 995,960 times
It's too dangerous to push people aside, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,853,897 times
How about the extra wide baby carriage parked 4 inches inside the subway door with the proud mother and father wearing backpacks worthy of a Nepalese Sherpa.
You cannot get IN the car and you cannot get OUT.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:31 AM

738 posts, read 581,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
It's too dangerous to push people aside, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Yes, it's a dangerous game. Especially if a woman is involved. She might tell the police that you groped her or something, and you'd wind up being a registered sex offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City