Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times

Advertisements

It's usually men blocking the doors. The ladies as with many things have more common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 AM

738 posts, read 584,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's usually men blocking the doors. The ladies as with many things have more common sense.
In my case, it was one of each. Equal opportunity birdbrains.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
My favorite is when people are boarding the subway car rudely and not let riders off first. . I mow them all down like a linebacker.
My favorite is the panicked middle of the car rider who is afraid of not being able to get off at their stop. They get up in between stations and expect people to clear a path for them. I don't budge until the train comes to a full stop, which is what you're supposed to do. People will move out of your way when the train stops

Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
My favorite is the panicked middle of the car rider who is afraid of not being able to get off at their stop. They get up in between stations and expect people to clear a path for them. I don't budge until the train comes to a full stop, which is what you're supposed to do. People will move out of your way when the train stops
Ehh I don't love people that wait until the very last moment either. That is very annoying. Especially when you are waiting to get in and the "stragglers" break up the flow when they decide to get up or work their way out at last moment as people are already working their way in. So I think there is a balance there...

Old 08-17-2016, 10:14 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Ehh I don't love people that wait until the very last moment either. That is very annoying. Especially when you are waiting to get in and the "stragglers" break up the flow when they decide to get up or work their way out at last moment as people are already working their way in. So I think there is a balance there...
But you see, it's not a last minute thing. There's about a 1-2 second delay between when the train stops and the doors open (that's a lot in NYC ). But if you're talking about Penn Station or Grand Central, people need to understand that half the train is going to empty out so there's no point going anywhere until people start moving when the doors open

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:

Hogwash.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 PM

139 posts, read 129,696 times
i guess this is kind of rhetorical, but why do people do this as if they are the only people in the city riding the subway. you'd think people might learn it's not a great idea at some point.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:27 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
My favorite are the people who ram themselves into the doors at the last second before they close (or sometimes get stuck in them until the conductor reopens) and then look embarrassed from everyone staring so they and walk to the other side of the car or exit completely.

One time this little Asian woman beat the doors by a millisecond, but she ran so fast that she fell in the middle of the floor. I didn't see it, but I heard it and felt the vibration and looked over and saw, and then she came and sat directly next to me. You will never understand how hard I tried to keep myself from bursting out with laughter.

I don't understand what's so hard about leaving earlier or just letting the train go by. I'll never risk my safety/life just to catch a train.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
What do you do when people block the exits/entrances to subway cars?

As in they see you, they know they are in the way. They do not move to the side or try to make life easier?

1. Budge them out the way gently? (sometimes the crowd behind will push you into them anyway)
2. Walk as far as you can up to them, then say excuse me and hold up the line of people behind you?
3. Not board/exit the train at all
Thanks God, this never happens to me. They always step aside, let me through and even offer me a seat.
New Yorkers are very polite.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about the extra wide baby carriage parked 4 inches inside the subway door with the proud mother and father wearing backpacks worthy of a Nepalese Sherpa.
You cannot get IN the car and you cannot get OUT.
If you see that, you should have made your way to another door beforehand. Though I've hopped OVER parts of carriages on occasion (naturally there's not even a baby in them oftentimes). It is tempting to just flip the carriage over, baby and all, while yelling TEN FIFTY POINT 9 GEE, A**HOLES, but this will likely turn out badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City