Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
This is sad. Have there always been lines for a shot at these apprenticeships? No one should have to stand in lines for days in sweltering heat and vomit from heat exhaustion just for a chance at getting a decent paying job. I guess this is the true measure of the economy.

Aren't the construction companies hiring non-union labor more and more? It seems like I'm always seeing protests in front of construction sites over that very issue.
In an average to above average year, these jobs are beyond decent paying. With overtime, I know carpenters who make $150k +. I know operating engineers who regularly make $200k +. If the economy tanks like in 2008, then it's a problem.

This city is definitely inching away from construction unions though. Owners complain about the outdated work rules and not much about the actual wages tradesmen earn. Why do you need an operating engineer to man a welding machine when all you do is flick a switch? Why do you need a plumber sitting around on standby on ovetime just because you're still using water for construction? It's not like they actually have to do anything for it.

On the flip side, union tradesmen are typically more competent and more skilled than non-union workers (I'm generalizing here). I think they're worth the higher wages, but I'm not the one who's ultimately shelling out the money for the buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
This is sad. Have there always been lines for a shot at these apprenticeships? No one should have to stand in lines for days in sweltering heat and vomit from heat exhaustion just for a chance at getting a decent paying job. I guess this is the true measure of the economy.

Aren't the construction companies hiring non-union labor more and more? It seems like I'm always seeing protests in front of construction sites over that very issue.

Years ago when "labor" was looked down upon while you had interest in these apprenticeship programs, but nothing like what you are seeing today. Think it is a mix of factors....

First the job market basically stinks, especially if you do not have a four year college degree. Even then it is more about your field, major, GPA and who you know.

Next even with a college degree not every job pays nearly as well as you can get from being a member of union trades. Yes, the unskilled guys are working for $15/hr. or so, which is what many assume all construction workers earn.

Also as word has gotten out you also have a push to "diversify" union membership. Legal and or political action has been brought on the trades to include more of various minority groups (gays, women, blacks, Latino-Hispanic, etc..), so naturally you are seeing more persons interested as they now feel they have a shot.

Back in the day IIRC word of these application days was either hush-hush or not widely known. Maybe a guy "picks-up" an application or two for his sons, nephews, BIL, etc... Then there was of course simple outright greasing of the right palm.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
In an average to above average year, these jobs are beyond decent paying. With overtime, I know carpenters who make $150k +. I know operating engineers who regularly make $200k +. If the economy tanks like in 2008, then it's a problem.

This city is definitely inching away from construction unions though. Owners complain about the outdated work rules and not much about the actual wages tradesmen earn. Why do you need an operating engineer to man a welding machine when all you do is flick a switch? Why do you need a plumber sitting around on standby on ovetime just because you're still using water for construction? It's not like they actually have to do anything for it.

On the flip side, union tradesmen are typically more competent and more skilled than non-union workers (I'm generalizing here). I think they're worth the higher wages, but I'm not the one who's ultimately shelling out the money for the buildings.

They are still pointing fingers over the end of 421a. Real estate lobby blames the unions for wanting to increase their costs by using more skilled labor on projects (which would raise their costs, especially on things like affordable housing). OTOH unions claim the RE lobby is trying to kill them off by using yet more unskilled/non-union labor.

Right now with NYC having one of the strongest and longest building booms in history, there is plenty of work out there, but make no mistake non-union is getting a good share, and that is increasing. Hence you are seeing all those giant rats at various worksites in protest.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post

It isn't just large construction. You've got plenty of guys calling themselves "carpenters" that can't couldn't hammer a nail in properly to save their life. All around Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens you've got guys putting up decks that don't know what they are doing. It is fine until something happens (and it usually does), then the finger pointing starts especially if someone is hurt or killed when that deck collapses.

As for work rules; NYC being a union town the various codes are full of them in regards to construction.

For instance by law only a licensed plumber is supposed to install anything involving a gas line (dryer, range, oven, etc...). But yet many property owners balk at paying union wages for such a simple project.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It isn't just large construction. You've got plenty of guys calling themselves "carpenters" that can't couldn't hammer a nail in properly to save their life. All around Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens you've got guys putting up decks that don't know what they are doing. It is fine until something happens (and it usually does), then the finger pointing starts especially if someone is hurt or killed when that deck collapses.

As for work rules; NYC being a union town the various codes are full of them in regards to construction.

For instance by law only a licensed plumber is supposed to install anything involving a gas line (dryer, range, oven, etc...). But yet many property owners balk at paying union wages for such a simple project.
But you don't have to be a union plumber to be a licensed plumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: