U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM

738 posts, read 507,438 times

Advertisements

It's terrible. Right around the entrance to the tunnel. It annoys the crap out of me when I have to scramble between stopped cars to cross the street. Why don't the police enforce the damn law?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,428,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
It's terrible. Right around the entrance to the tunnel. It annoys the crap out of me when I have to scramble between stopped cars to cross the street. Why don't the police enforce the damn law?
Because if they stop them they'll cause a lot more traffic on the pullover

Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM

738 posts, read 507,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Because if they stop them they'll cause a lot more traffic on the pullover
They could record the license number with a spy cam and send them a ticket in the mail. I don't like to advocate that people get cited for things but these characters are creating a hazardous nuisance.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM

9,456 posts, read 4,986,516 times
^ How is walking around stopped cars "hazardous?"

Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 AM

3,207 posts, read 3,780,394 times
It is dangerous if the car is stopped in the crosswalk and you're forced to walk in front of it. If the driver sees a space to pull up, he or she might do that and hit you.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:55 AM

23,771 posts, read 32,994,718 times
And maybe even more likely, if you walk behind the car in the crosswalk, the driver might decide he is in violation of the law and back up to where he should have stopped, crushing your legs between 2 bumpers.

I am often in a bus TRYING to get up Third Ave and that continuous traffic jam can take a long long time to clear. I heave a sigh of relief when I pass Home Depot. Worst was 1/2 hour to go a block.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM

9,456 posts, read 4,986,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It is dangerous if the car is stopped in the crosswalk and you're forced to walk in front of it. If the driver sees a space to pull up, he or she might do that and hit you.
Or they see you walking in front of their car and they don't move, which is what I see all the time. Much ado about nothing.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM

26,175 posts, read 19,497,760 times
Third Avenue from roughly 54th to 60th as been a *mess* for decades. Everyone who lives, works, drives through or whatever that area knows this. So am not too sure what exactly is the problem.

Third and First avenues function as commercial truck routes going north since that traffic is banned from the FDR Drive. Then you have traffic both going north and coming from the west heading over to the bridge. Add to this what seems like constant construction projects from 57th to about 62nd and you are bound to have problems.

IMHO things actually have gotten better over the past two decades. Prior to 9/11/01 evening rush hour for that part of mid-town often saw traffic backed-up all the way down Third into the East 40's. Now things don't truly bottle neck up until around 54th or 53rd streets.

Part of the problem is the same thing you see wherever drivers have to merge onto the right to make an exit (in this case 57th for the bridge); people tend to take advantage of the fact the left lanes are often moving and remain until they get near 57th, then they want to merge over. The City put up those dividers from 57th down to 56th which has helped some. However whomever thought up putting that bus stop in the middle of Third at 57th ought to shot.

There is also a huge problem with east bound drivers blocking the box at 57th through 58th Street. If Third is fully or even partially blocked when the lights change few if anyone is going to move.

Personally depending upon where one is downtown, prefer to take Madison uptown than Third. If you need to get over that way after say 68th street just turn. Park *can* be an alternative above 57th street, but you have to deal with those timed lights.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,428,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Third Avenue from roughly 54th to 60th as been a *mess* for decades.
This thread is about the midtown tunnel, not the queensboro bridge

Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM

26,175 posts, read 19,497,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This thread is about the midtown tunnel, not the queensboro bridge

Oh, sorry.

Never mind then, and carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City