Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:57 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It would be exciting if it was about early hip hop scene, I could see a lot of younger folks who weren't around in that era being interested in a show like that. Maybe it gets better, a lot of shows take a good little while to get going. I have to admit that reading the wiki it seemed a bit boring to me as well.
Huh it is about the early hip hop scene, while not realizing the ending of the disco scene they somehow use it as a mechanism for the protagonists to introduce their new hip hop style with a mix of the coming of the DJ and the lyricist. They touch on Punk and the graffiti scene as well, and of course how relevant the drug scene, criminal elements and political corrupt environment were indeed apart of this NYC era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Huh it is about the early hip hop scene, while not realizing the ending of the disco scene they somehow use it as a mechanism for the protagonists to introduce their new hip hop style with a mix of the coming of the DJ and the lyricist. They touch on Punk and the graffiti scene as well, and of course how relevant the drug scene, criminal elements and political corrupt environment were indeed apart of this NYC era.
Yeah I haven't watched show yet but the vibe I caught was that it was about the early hip-hop scene but I wasn't sure since I didn't watch it. The premise is interesting enough that I will catch it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's very boring.
It was boring.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It was boring.
I find it to be very boring. Nothing very special about it. It seems to be similar in a sense with Romeo+Juliet, Great Gatsby, Moulon Rouge. Very colorful. Burz Lurhman is great, but this line of work? Is just too colorful during the dark days of the Bronx and NYC.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:04 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
It wasnt boring. Just the first few minutes.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
im watching it now........interesting show ill say.....it takes place in 1977.....which was a landmark year in the citys history (although it wasnt for glamorous reasons). Disco was king but the hip hop scene was starting to bubble.....granted, Im still wondering how they managed to simulate a burnt out south bronx when the south bronx hasnt looked anything remotely like that since the late 90s.....from a historical and factual standpoint its at least 85% accurate, but then again the script is written by nelson george, a well acclaimed hip hop critic and essayist, Nas is a producer on the show and grandmaster flash himself had alot of input on the show. Im also glad this show was made considering hipsters and gentrifiers are breaking their necks to erase this era of New Yorks history off the record (heck any part of a citys history between when whites voluntarily moved out and communities got redlined to when gentrification started). It also showed what the south bronx was back then: mostly puerto rican and afro american (who still remain in the bronx in large numbers to this day). Ive seen alot of revisionist history retards as well as people who flat out dont know what the hell theyre talking about on these boards try to act like black people dont live in the bronx *facepalm*

Some of the footage you can tell is chopped a bit though. For one, Morris HS is not across the street from the ER moore Housing projects lol. Most of the footage is supposed to be based along westchester ave along the 2/5 train although you never see any of the stations....

Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
I love it! It reminds me of the NYC I grew up in the late 80s and 90's. I remember the burning south bronx and the Pumas. Seriously, ya gotta love them red Pumas!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
I made it through the first episode, which I found to be really fake, especially that disco scene. I fast-forwarded through the shootout, because that's not my thing. But it was all worth it for the final sequence, the actual get down, and the scenes on the roof, which I thought were terrific.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Now the the Olympics are done, I'll watch it.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
It's pretty good. It isn't just about the origins of Hip Hop itself--Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash in it are already household names in it, it's just about how kids during that time identified with it as they came of age.

I have the last episode until I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City