Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have lived in 6 different locations (within NYC) plus moving within a building from an apt. to apt.
Me too! I've lived in NYC close to 30 years now and lived at 7 different locations and moved within the same building twice. But have been at my current apt for about 17 years now. I don't have it within me to move anymore God willing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
It really depends.

The Furman Center did a study on rent stabilized tenants a few years ago and found over 90% of those living below 96th street had been in their apartments for 20 or more years.

This echoes what you hear from many long time New Yorkers who have RS or RC apartments; most are lifers and aren't leaving except feet first in a wooden box.

Part of this is simple economics and market forces. Up until say the 1980's and perhaps part of the 1990's it wasn't that difficult to find a RS apartment at or even below market rate below 96th street. Leaving aside eviction most persons moved when they got bored of their apartment/area, changed jobs, wanted to be closer to family or a lover, found something cheaper.... that sort of thing. But this was when NYC in particular Manhattan still looked like something out of Kojak.

By the time Rudy G and subsequent mayors cleaned up and made NYC (in particular Manhattan) safe and attractive for whites to live in again; white flight reversed. Now you cannot find a RS apartment below market rate in Manhattan or most anywhere else in NYC for love nor money. Well not unless you win an 80/20 lottery or know a landlord.

Market rate tenants of course move around all the time; but since rent control or stabilization makes up a vast amount of NYC apartment housing stock one of the side effects is people don't often move.

The above is one of the reasons why NYC has a perpetual shortage of "affordable" or "low income" housing. Once people get into such units they never leave (of their own free will), this even when household income increases.

There are married couples both gay and straight that legally (on paper) live in separate RS apartments. Sometimes in the same building, others elsewhere. The normal thing upon marriage is for people to combine two households into one; but the lure of a below market RS apartment is just that powerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City