Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Does anyone think that Philly or Boston or Atlanta's systems are better?

Some people just like to complain.
Per capita Boston Charlie is better because it pretty much covers the entire city and is a lil bit cheaper, and of course it even extends into the suburbs. It would be like having the subways extend into Newark and White Plains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm not American, I've spent lots of time in less-than-developed countries. A few of them have public transportation that would blow NYC out of water
How so? Shinier trains?

Can they get me from one end of the city to another at 3AM?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYC subway system is comparable to the subway in the cities of developing countries like Mexico City in Mexico, Sao Paulo and Rio in Brazil. This is what my cousin told me. Europe, Asia, thier subways are light years ahead of NYC and the rest of the northeast. America won't be able to catch up.
The subway in Valparaiso is much better than NYC. It's not 24/7 but it's open for like 18 hours a day and it's very clean and the trains are always on time. As for the buses, they run like every five minutes whereas taking a bus in NYC is playing russian roulette with time

Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Per capita Boston Charlie is better because it pretty much covers the entire city and is a lil bit cheaper, and of course it even extends into the suburbs. It would be like having the subways extend into Newark and White Plains
There would be no point of the NYC subway extending into the suburbs, that's what the commuter rails are for

Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How so? Shinier trains?

Can they get me from one end of the city to another at 3AM?
Much nicer subway stations. Much much much nicer subway stations, and yes many work at 3am. In Moscow in the train stations they have beautiful mosaic and murals and statues and it smells 1000x better than in NYC

Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I realized even the public bus system in NYC is pretty good. Most of the buses seem to run 24/7, some of them even on a half hourly basis in the middle of the night.
Not really, I was going home after clubbing one time and I had to wait HOURS for the subway station while drunk and it was middle of December and it was FREEZING. That is unacceptable!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Much nicer subway stations. Much much much nicer subway stations, and yes many work at 3am. In Moscow in the train stations they have beautiful mosaic and murals and statues and it smells 1000x better than in NYC
Im not familiar with Moscow. The wiki page says it opens at 5:25am (depending on first train arrival) and closes at 1am. Is it incorrect?

If we had that schedule here, I would be forced to get a car because I take a 5am train (even earlier a few times a year). Not saying 24/7 service is important for everybody, but for me it is, along with my fellow commuters on the crowded trains at that time of the morning.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Im not familiar with Moscow. The wiki page says it opens at 5:25am (depending on first train arrival) and closes at 1am. Is it incorrect?

If we had that schedule here, I would be forced to get a car because I take a 5am train (even earlier a few times a year). Not saying 24/7 service is important for everybody, but for me it is, along with my fellow commuters on the crowded trains at that time of the morning.
I haven't been there in years, so it might be correct. Still I remember it worked whenever we needed it too

Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
quote:
In Moscow in the train stations they have beautiful mosaic and murals and statues and it smells 1000x better than in NYC

I sometimes want to start smoking again because of how bad this city smells. I was born in Jersey City and grew up in industrial NJ and it stank too, but that was industrial stank. NYC stank is like feces, pee, menses, garbage, dead rodents, dead bodies, and farts all rolled into one. Truly gross. The subway stations in lower manhattan I think are actually the worst, and also when I have to take the 6 uptown for doctor's appointments and stuff, that train stinks too (the stations anyway).

I love the above ground stations much more.

Also there's a SERIOUS epidemic of new people moving into downtown Brooklyn taking the subways in during rush hour who are obese! No one ever talks about this because I guess it's kinda ****ed up to talk about, but UGH. Every other person in the morning is at least 100 pounds over weight. And these are all supposedly highly educated professionals :/ I actually think overweight/obese commuters make commutes 10x worse than the actual infrastructure.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
The subways should start charging like laundromats do. By the pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City