Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
It is dirty, it smells, it is overcrowded.
That used to be part of NYC's charm, before the insatiable yuppies, foreign dollars, and trust fund hipsters took over the entire city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
maspeth, middle village, jamaica

the M going to middle village could be shortened a couple of stops
the F going all the way to jamaica could be shortened

do people even use the subway in staten island? that could probably be eliminated completely

the 5 and the 6 going all the way out to the bronx, couldn't those be shortened?
stops at the end of the J and Z lines, does anyone use the J or Z lines?
Why would you call

maspeth, middle village, jamaica

middle of nowhere? Far from correct. People live there!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Think about it! Slow service, constant delays, dirty, rotting infrastructure, repairs that last years, train stations that take seven decades to build, buses that don't even attempt to show up on time, and seemingly neverending fare hikes. Seems like something you'd encounter in Mogadishu or Kabul, not a world class city in one of the richest countries on the planet!
Some of what is mentioned here happens with any subway system, in any city, worldwide--new or old: slow service, constant delays, repairs that last years, and seemingly never-ending fare hikes. The rest, the dirty, rotting infrastructure, repairs that last years and train stations that take seven decades to build, is the result of a slow, beaurocratic MTA system, the sheer huge size of the NYC subway system and the MTA allocating funds for certain areas and not having enough for all areas of the subway system.

As for "third world", that's a dramatic joke of a statement. Have you BEEN to a 3rd world country? What city does not have issues with it's public transportation system that has a population the size of NYC city of 8.5 million and growing?

Other cities may have shiny and new systems, but keep in mind that NYC's system is 100 years old + (opened in 1904) and has the 7th most passengers annually worldwide, so there will be issues, but definitely not 3rd world.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
3rd world? That's quite an exaggeration. I'm personally pretty satisfied with the subway system, seeing a rat doesn't freak me out.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Priorities for me for public transportation are in the following order:

1. 24/7 service - I don't have a normal 9-5 job.
2. Extensive system coverage - The subway/bus gets me practically anywhere in the city, which allows me to not have to buy a car.
3. Reliability - Frequency of breakdowns
4. Cleanliness
5. Low Cost
6. Comfort/Crowds - I can live with crowded subway cars

Of course, I'd rather have all of the above.
Agreed, except I'd place low cost higher.

I really don't care that NYC's subway system isn't squeaky clean and futuristic looking with trains that look like Optimus Prime's dong.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 PM

256 posts, read 311,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
there are time displays and air conditioning on the newer subway cars. there is air conditioning or there should be on the older cars too

polite riders? ok, this will happen after the apocalypse in NYC LOL

Is

I meant stations, not subway cars. They have too much air conditioning, anyway.

Polite,... Just don't pretend you are sleeping when elderly women/men or pregnant women is in front of you.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
I meant stations, not subway cars. They have too much air conditioning, anyway.

Polite,... Just don't pretend you are sleeping when elderly women/men or pregnant women is in front of you.
The underground stations really do get hot, but it seems to get better once you go down the stairs to the tracks.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:55 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
People on C-D are in love with calling things "third world." Road conditions are frequently called "third world" because maybe it's a little bumpy and there are some cracks. Whenever I hear that -- and I hear that a lot -- I always think of the same story I heard once, from a guy who was traveling by car in the real third world. Impoverished locals were standing by the side of the road at regular intervals with shovels and piles of dirt; if you didn't pay them to fill up the gaping holes in the road, you couldn't pass.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Think about it! Slow service, constant delays, dirty, rotting infrastructure, repairs that last years, train stations that take seven decades to build, buses that don't even attempt to show up on time, and seemingly neverending fare hikes. Seems like something you'd encounter in Mogadishu or Kabul, not a world class city in one of the richest countries on the planet!
NYC public transportation is awful. I've been taking buses and trains since I was a kid. I have a car now, and walk often. I also use Uber often. Only time I rely on public transportation is when I'm going to Manhattan (which is very rare since Manhattan is disgusting now) or if I'm coming home from a bar in Ridgewood.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
I doubt any of the presidential candidates will have any effect on the cities public transportation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City