Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:15 PM

371 posts, read 526,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
I meant stations, not subway cars. They have too much air conditioning, anyway.

Polite,... Just don't pretend you are sleeping when elderly women/men or pregnant women is in front of you.
it depends, if the person is entitled then I would not give them my seat. If they expect to sit just because they are pregnant and show an attitude, i would never get up for me as it just contributes to the entitlement complex. Also, if it is some horrendous fat person on food stamps with 5 kids, i wouldn't get up as standing will help them burn calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I doubt any of the presidential candidates will have any effect on the cities public transportation system.
The stimulus Obama pushed through Congress was used to finish Fulton Street and patch up holes in Second Avenue Subsay construction. It matters!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Think about it! Slow service, constant delays, dirty, rotting infrastructure, repairs that last years, train stations that take seven decades to build, buses that don't even attempt to show up on time, and seemingly neverending fare hikes. Seems like something you'd encounter in Mogadishu or Kabul, not a world class city in one of the richest countries on the planet!
Have you been to Mogadishu or Kabul? They don't have transit systems. So this is sort of a odd question.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Having just returned from an actual "3rd world" country where the public transportation is beat up minivans that one has to damn near jump onto from the side of the (dirt) road, I can assure you that NYCs transit system is nowhere near 3rd world.

I'm sure the OP was just being funny in using that term but level of complaining that comes from so many members this forum never ceases to amaze me. Our transit system is very good. It suffers from its share of problems, which are mostly due to its age and it's load, but overall it's a superb system. It's a one fare system that, despite hikes, is one of, if not the cheapest, public transit system of this scale in the world. It's extensive, yes I know there are some areas that are better serviced than others, but it's still vast. It's 24/7, yes the train service is slow at night and spotty on weekends but it does still run. And even when it's spotty on the weekends there are alternatives posted that allow you to *still* get to your destination.

Remember that transit strike a few years back? How hard was it getting around without our system? People were complaining about having NO trains or busses and having to spend so much on cabs. What happens when severe weather shuts the system down? Everyone is pretty much stuck.

Now of course the system can be improved. The stations and tracks can be kept cleaner- but let's be honest that's the fault of the dirty New Yorkers that will throw trash on the tracks and not in the garbage can 10 feet away! The stations are hot- but the system was built years before AC and it would be expensive to install! You can wait the 2-10 minutes until you get inside an AC train car. Yes there are "signal" problems and stalled trains but it doesn't happen every single time you ride the trains.

I have the misfortune of living close to the C and G lines (LOL) but like 90% of the time I get to where I need to be quickly and efficiently thanks to our transit system. That other 10% of the time, however, I am cursing as I'm running for the G train or watching the C train bypass my stop LOL!

Last edited by jad2k; 08-23-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I can assure you that NYCs transit system is nowhere near 3rd world. I'm sure the OP was just being funny
Maybe he should go spend some time in Syria, if he makes it back with his head he can tell us all about the third world

Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Maybe he should go spend some time in Syria, if he makes it back with his head he can tell us all about the third world
Hahah. Right? People are never happy with what they have when so much of the rest of the world has so little.

Here is a legitimate "3rd world" transit issue that I encountered: enduring 3 hour traffic jams to drive 5-10 miles because poor people from the even poorer neighboring countries dig up the metal dividers on the highways to sell as scrap metal for money to eat. Traffic gets backed up because they damage the roads by haphazardly digging them up. The government then has to fix roads, often choosing to do so in the middle of the day or even in the middle of rush hour! Since there is no other means of transit other than the roads everyone, including the crowded minivan mass transit busses (where people are hanging out of the sides), is stuck in traffic for hours.

THAT is a legitimate "3rd world" public transport problem.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It is not 3rd world, it is 1890s.

I have ridden Metros all over the country and several European countries. The most stark difference is that the NYC subway is immense and about 60-100 years older than most. So what do you expect?

Only London beats NYC in the context of the age and challenges to their system.

In my opinion, the stations may be bare bones and grimy, but at least it is effective and doesn't look like 1970s communist hospital hallways like most of the other subways in the world.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Compared to comparable countries we are behind in public transportation. I wouldn't call it third world though.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Compared to comparable countries we are behind in public transportation. I wouldn't call it third world though.

But compared to those countries our system is one of the oldest. Those other systems are "ahead" because they are much newer! It's easy to have air coundition stations and no signal problems when it was built recently! Only London's system is older and it's not as extensive as NYCs system. On top of that it's very expensive for a single ride! Just look at this information comparing systems:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/trav...ound-the-world

Again, while we can stand to see improvements, our system has its advantages over comparable countries and systems.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
But compared to those countries our system is one of the oldest. Those other systems are "ahead" because they are much newer! It's easy to have air coundition stations and no signal problems when it was built recently! Only London's system is older and it's not as extensive as NYCs system. On top of that it's very expensive for a single ride! Just look at this information comparing systems:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/trav...ound-the-world

Again, while we can stand to see improvements, our system has its advantages over comparable countries and systems.
I agree. I still think we could and should do better though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City