Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM
e_D e_D started this thread

86 posts, read 81,835 times

Advertisements

I have an interview for affordable housing in Hamilton Heights at PS 186. I'm curious about what part of it makes it worth it.

Ive gotten a raise since applying last year now I'm just barely in the higher end of the bracket which means I'd probably be paying around 2300, more than market rate for any apartment in the neighnorhood. That would be a stress on my funds for sure.

Is there any benefit I'm overlooking to taking this affordable housing as opposed to renting at market rate in the same neighborhood for a few hundred dollars less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 05:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeats View Post
I have an interview for affordable housing in Hamilton Heights at PS 186. I'm curious about what part of it makes it worth it.

Ive gotten a raise since applying last year now I'm just barely in the higher end of the bracket which means I'd probably be paying around 2300, more than market rate for any apartment in the neighnorhood. That would be a stress on my funds for sure.

Is there any benefit I'm overlooking to taking this affordable housing as opposed to renting at market rate in the same neighborhood for a few hundred dollars less?
Affordable housing has income limits. If you make 50k a year and the affordable housing limit is 35k for a 2 bedroom than you are in trouble my friend.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Affordable housing has income limits. If you make 50k a year and the affordable housing limit is 35k for a 2 bedroom than you are in trouble my friend.

If one understands correctly the OP knows the high income limit for this particular development, and his new income (post increase) is at the very highest end of that range. Affordable Units at Harlem's Former P.S. 186 Will Rent From $508 - Curbed NY

Old 08-28-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If one understands correctly the OP knows the high income limit for this particular development, and his new income (post increase) is at the very highest end of that range. Affordable Units at Harlem's Former P.S. 186 Will Rent From $508 - Curbed NY
That is correct!

Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:

Interview is just one part of the long process, and an early one at that. Unless you have something else better to do I'd continue with the process holding off making any decisions until an actual firm offer has been received.

If you can find a newly renovated, market rate apartment in a building offering the same amenities as PS 186, then go for it. However the beauty of these "affordable" lottery units is they fall under RS at least for a certain period. That means rent increases are set by the City and other protections lacking with market rate housing. Even if you got one of these units and decided to move a year or so later nothing is stopping you, long as proper notice is given.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
dedbeats,

You would be getting NEW which, to most people, confers a premium. The area market rent may be for older apartments, perhaps without a dishwasher, W/D, etc.
You have to compare apples with apples.

But yeah, I see some of the higher priced "affordables" as a bit overpriced too.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:

Those income limits and rents are out of wack.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Those income limits and rents are out of wack.
I agree. The bracket I fall into and the salary I make would make me rent burdened, which is exactly what these programs are made to alleviate, I thought. Weird system. Are developers using middle income affordable housing to satisfy greed?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Why would anyone want to live in NYC at that income? Even with free housing, everything else around cost 2 legs and a nose unless you go to certain area and shop street market stuff. You'll see well to do folks everywhere but you're looking at them from a window because your income limits your choices.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why would anyone want to live in NYC at that income? Even with free housing, everything else around cost 2 legs and a nose unless you go to certain area and shop street market stuff. You'll see well to do folks everywhere but you're looking at them from a window because your income limits your choices.
Oh please stop with this. I lived in NYC all my adult life on a low income and I have a great life and am able to do many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: