Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 06:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So you're trying to claim that your culture is mainly taíno based when most taínos were wiped out? Give me a break. People aren't claiming it just because. They're saying it because it's true! You can deny it all you want. Doesn't change reality. My girlfriend is Dominican and she accepts that she has black in her and that it's in her culture. Could teach people like you a thing or two porque tú 'ta pasao loko.
That's not what he was saying.

I said that Dominicans are not that culturally different from Mexicans and he agreed.

The language of both nations is Spanish and the culture of both nations is LATIN. The Dominican Republic is not a nation in Africa, people don't speak African languages, and the average Dominican has nothing to do with anything African outside of their DNA ancestry.

Some people on this thread tried to assign racist Black stereotypes to Dominicans, while claiming the Mexicans were good "immigrants".

Mexico has suffered extreme cartel violence, kidnapping were a huge problem in much of the country and still are even now, and more people have died in the cartel violence in Mexico than in Afghanistan and Iraq combined!

You're basically MUCH safer in the Dominican Republic (which has it's own crime issues).

With all that said, someone going from Mexico to the DR and back won't have that much in the way of culture shock. There's a reason the region is call Latin America. On language and culture there are a lot of similarities.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 PM

47 posts, read 40,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's not what he was saying.

I said that Dominicans are not that culturally different from Mexicans and he agreed.

The language of both nations is Spanish and the culture of both nations is LATIN. The Dominican Republic is not a nation in Africa, people don't speak African languages, and the average Dominican has nothing to do with anything African outside of their DNA ancestry.

Some people on this thread tried to assign racist Black stereotypes to Dominicans, while claiming the Mexicans were good "immigrants".

Mexico has suffered extreme cartel violence, kidnapping were a huge problem in much of the country and still are even now, and more people have died in the cartel violence in Mexico than in Afghanistan and Iraq combined!

You're basically MUCH safer in the Dominican Republic (which has it's own crime issues).

With all that said, someone going from Mexico to the DR and back won't have that much in the way of culture shock. There's a reason the region is call Latin America. On language and culture there are a lot of similarities.
Thank you..

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Oh I dunno. Maybe you should listen to them speak since you claim you speak Spanish. All of that cutting they do doesn't just occur just because. Dominicans culturally are heavily influenced by their African roots from their music to some of their mannerisms to the way that they speak, not to mention how many of them are mixed with black, Spanish and taíno. Can look it up if you're not in the know.
I don't need to look it up. I've not heard anything African in the ways Dominicans speak. And please, it's not like all Dominicans do is play the drums or do santeria. Having lived with a Dominican family in the DR, it was not that different from Mexico or other Latin American countries with different ethnic/racial mixtures.

A person's race has NOTHING to do with their culture. Black Americans culturally are not AFRICAN.

Actually, a Nigerian told me Africa is a creation of the white man. It was white colonialists that decided to group people together who linguistically, culturally, and religiously had nothing to do with each other.

Take the Fulani, a Muslim group found in the Sahel region of Africa. If a woman has a child out of wedlock she can be stoned to death. This would never happen in the Dominican Republic. You also have Christian fanatics in Uganda who would essentially stone gays. I'm not trying to stereotype all Africans as doing those things, but the Dominicans clearly don't have anything in common with Ugandans or Fulanis.

So tell me where in Africa do the Dominicans supposedly have something in common with, and tell me what languages supposedly influence their Spanish.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The ones that I have met have generally been uneducated. The Dominican Republic is a poor country so having people immigrate there that aren't educated is not a shock. You talk about evidence. You haven't shown anything to the contrary.
Having been to the Dominican Republic, I've met Dominicans from all walks of life. They do have hospitals, schools, lawyers, real estate agencies, and all the professionals and business people than any country has.

In NYC I've met Dominicans from all socioeconomic backgrounds as well. Upper Manhattan even has a Dominican Congressman, and we now have a lot of Dominicans in the city council and the state legislature. Obviously to get those jobs they are educated.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:33 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Having been to the Dominican Republic, I've met Dominicans from all walks of life. They do have hospitals, schools, lawyers, real estate agencies, and all the professionals and business people than any country has.

In NYC I've met Dominicans from all socioeconomic backgrounds as well. Upper Manhattan even has a Dominican Congressman, and we now have a lot of Dominicans in the city council and the state legislature. Obviously to get those jobs they are educated.
Who? Ydanis Rodriguez? The man can barely speak English and sounds like a buffoon half of the time. Needs to take remedial English courses.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I don't need to look it up. I've not heard anything African in the ways Dominicans speak. And please, it's not like all Dominicans do is play the drums or do santeria. Having lived with a Dominican family in the DR, it was not that different from Mexico or other Latin American countries with different ethnic/racial mixtures.

A person's race has NOTHING to do with their culture. Black Americans culturally are not AFRICAN.

Actually, a Nigerian told me Africa is a creation of the white man. It was white colonialists that decided to group people together who linguistically, culturally, and religiously had nothing to do with each other.

Take the Fulani, a Muslim group found in the Sahel region of Africa. If a woman has a child out of wedlock she can be stoned to death. This would never happen in the Dominican Republic. You also have Christian fanatics in Uganda who would essentially stone gays. I'm not trying to stereotype all Africans as doing those things, but the Dominicans clearly don't have anything in common with Ugandans or Fulanis.

So tell me where in Africa do the Dominicans supposedly have something in common with, and tell me what languages supposedly influence their Spanish.
Oh my. You lived with *one* Dominican family. That makes you the expert. And you must believe what that man said about Africa. So much for that Ivy League education.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
Thank you..
Am sure it pleases you to hear that. Anything is better than being told the truth. *LOL*

Old 08-27-2017, 06:39 PM

106 posts, read 60,566 times
Quote:
So you're trying to claim that your culture is mainly taíno based when most taínos were wiped out? Give me a break. People aren't claiming it just because. They're saying it because it's true! You can deny it all you want. Doesn't change reality. My girlfriend is Dominican and she accepts that she has black in her and that it's in her culture. Could teach people like you a thing or two porque tú 'ta pasao loko.
You are so ignorant.

You are just a black ignorant who doesn't even talk a little bit of Spanish to tell how their accents were created. I don't speak Spanish but I study Latin American culture. You main problem is the same one with ignorant americans, always trying to impose their standards to the rest of the world. Thanks god that american decadence is around the corner.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
You are so ignorant.

You are just a black ignorant who doesn't even talk a little bit of Spanish to tell how their accents were created. I don't speak Spanish but I study Latin American culture. You main problem is the same one with ignorant americans, always trying to impose their standards to the rest of the world. Thanks god that american decadence is around the corner.
Funny man. Am not black, but nice try.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
If you want to have a serious argument, please bring evidence, historical facts, data, documents, etc.

Otherwise your opinion means nothing to me!!
The reality is Dominican culture is primarily a mixture of West and Central African and Spanish cultures.

Any logical person can see that.

But based on your posts you are probably either a white Cibaeno or a typically mixed capitaleno so anything I provide you will deny.

"The slave trade contributed little to nothing to dominican culture" is still such a hilarious statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City