Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,663,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
When I was growing up I was taught by teachers that NYC was a melting pot. People came here from other countries, enjoyed learning in our free public schools, contributed their skills and talents, and became a part of the American fabric. All I see now are Dominicans who come here, remain isolated in their Dominican social lives, take over apartment buildings and discriminate against non-Dominicans in renting, REFUSE to learn English and still are allowed to open businesses (to cater to their own countrymen). They are not immigrants in the American way. They come to keep their language and customs and take, take, take U.S. benefits. I was born and raised in the Morrisania area of the Bronx. I left for years while in the military. I come back to the Dominican Republic and overcrowding. If the D.R. is that bad...sorry. I can see why with the attitudes of this group. Come here and contribute. Learn English. Don't come here to take over our neighborhoods and supermarkets, stuff into our public transportation and oh yeah think you're better than American born citizens. Mexicans don't do this. They come and contribute and work hard IMO. Trump should build a wall between NYC and the Dominican Republic. What the Hell!

You really have a problem mi amigo. I checked your previous posts and find your post of 8/22 "People should state their race when posting...( 'because I can figure it out')", very revealing. Tells a lot about you racist view points. Sorry for you, going thru life with that tude.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:31 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,584,869 times
20years from now when I am retired and living in Arizona, I wonder who the new wave of immigrants to the Bronx will be that everyone dislikes ? Maybe the English after the effects of Brexit ? partly sarcastic about the English. But who knows what the waves of fate will surprise us with.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't get why the Puerto Ricans don't vote for independence.

As for the poverty and incarceration rates on Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, do you have definitive data from a legitimate source to support this assertion?
Too many years under U.S rule. Most people don't know what it's like to live without that "security blanket". I also think deep down most PR don't trust the country will do very well as an independent country. I hate to say it because it sounds bad but I think most would rather be a struggling colony (not to mention be USA citizens) than a very poor independent country in shambles.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-30-2016 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 06:58 AM

As for the PR/DR rivalry it's really quite nothing. No real strong foundation to it. I think most of it is personal relationships. Some people in each of those countries have had bad relationships with people from the other country so they dump everyone in. If anything DR should have more of a beef since Dominicans have faced some discrimination in PR.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
As for the PR/DR rivalry it's really quite nothing. No real strong foundation to it. I think most of it is personal relationships. Some people in each of those countries have had bad relationships with people from the other country so they dump everyone in. If anything DR should have more of a beef since Dominicans have faced some discrimination in PR.

As much as Haitians have in the DR ? But anyway, I had Dominican girlfriends. Dominican guys had PR girlfriends. Lots of mixing, so on that reason alone I know its not mutual hatred. Its a rivalry. The people in my life who have treated me the kindest have been PR, DR, and afro American. THe people who have treated me the worst have been PR, DR, and Afro Americans. People can't generalize about any group, its silly.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
As much as Haitians have in the DR ? But anyway, I had Dominican girlfriends. Dominican guys had PR girlfriends. Lots of mixing, so on that reason alone I know its not mutual hatred. Its a rivalry. The people in my life who have treated me the kindest have been PR, DR, and afro American. THe people who have treated me the worst have been PR, DR, and Afro Americans. People can't generalize about any group, its silly.
With regards to Haitians in DR and Dominicans in PR the dynamics were similar. Dominicans filled an economic void, doing mostly work on the lower end of the labor scale. In terms of the discrimination being on the same level I would say probably no though because Haitians have a bigger cultural hurdle. Dominicans for the most part have blended into PR smoothly. Just look at all the big Reggaeton stars from PR these days, they are all half Dominican: Arcangel, Ozuna, Nicky Jam, J Alvarez, De La Ghetto, etc. So yeah obviously there is a mingling there lol.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
With regards to Haitians in DR and Dominicans in PR the dynamics were similar. Dominicans filled an economic void, doing mostly work on the lower end of the labor scale. In terms of the discrimination being on the same level I would say probably no though because Haitians have a bigger cultural hurdle. Dominicans for the most part have blended into PR smoothly. Just look at all the big Reggaeton stars from PR these days, they are all half Dominican: Arcangel, Ozuna, Nicky Jam, J Alvarez, De La Ghetto, etc. So yeah obviously there is a mingling there lol.
Romeo Santos and lots of actors like Zoe Zaldana and Michelle Hernandez. Like a good Puerto Rican I will add- " You know where they got their good looks from, the PR side." Couldn't resist.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Too many years under U.S rule. Most people don't know what it's like to live without that "security blanket". I also think deep down most PR don't trust the country will do very well as an independent country. I hate to say it because it sounds bad but I think most would rather be a struggling colony (not to mention be USA citizens) than a very poor independent country in shambles.

Maybe, but again, its the only nation we have been a citizen of in our life times and people do love the US. I was once very interested in the topic. PR studies at Hunter College. My uncle was a Independence party member in San Sebastian PR. Its no longer relevant. We are Americans. The issue of whether PR would be better off alone as a country. Well since I am a New Yorker born and bred I will leave that up to folks who will live on the Island. But as an observer I will say as much as the shamble of an economy PR has, folks from neighboring Islands like the DR seem pleased to live there as opposed to their homelands. Not perfect, but I imagine its no different living in PR then it is living in many Southern States. Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana don't seem so much better.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Maybe, but again, its the only nation we have been a citizen of in our life times and people do love the US. I was once very interested in the topic. PR studies at Hunter College. My uncle was a Independence party member in San Sebastian PR. Its no longer relevant. We are Americans. The issue of whether PR would be better off alone as a country. Well since I am a New Yorker born and bred I will leave that up to folks who will live on the Island. But as an observer I will say as much as the shamble of an economy PR has, folks from neighboring Islands like the DR seem pleased to live there as opposed to their homelands. Not perfect, but I imagine its no different living in PR then it is living in many Southern States. Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana don't seem so much better.
Well a lot of Dominicans see PR as a bridge to USA but yeah the main motivator is that you earn in dollars. The dollars to peso exchange is very friendly. They are poor in both countries might as well be poor in the one where you earn dollars and have a chance to make it to USA eventually.

But yes with regards to PR independence it is not even seriously on the table. The option very clearly is remain as is (which in my opinion is unsustainable) or become a state.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Well a lot of Dominicans see PR as a bridge to USA but yeah the main motivator is that you earn in dollars. The dollars to peso exchange is very friendly. They are poor in both countries might as well be poor in the one where you earn dollars and have a chance to make it to USA eventually.

But yes with regards to PR independence it is not even seriously on the table. The option very clearly is remain as is (which in my opinion is unsustainable) or become a state.

The Republicans do not want us as a State. Another blue state. PR may or may not be better off as a Free State. Yet, one should not disgard the simple truth on the Island people grew up as Americans. They have proudly served in the US military and worked and lived on the mainland. If things aren't perfect they try to make changes politically. Look they managed to do the impossible in Vieques by political action. Its not merely economic. PR have also intermarried men and woman from the mainland, workers of US companies and persons in the military. In my family I have seen that. Its not merely economics.

Last edited by bxlover; 08-30-2016 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City