Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times

Advertisements

LMAOO..there's a thread about Dominicans, black people, "ghetto people" almost EVERY DAMN WEEK on this forum.,

Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 PM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
The slave trade contributed little to nothing to dominican culture. All slaves in DR were transculturized, leaving very few cultural manifestations, but not enough to say that dominican culture is based on our african ancestry, unfortunately.

The native americans (tainos), on the other hand, surprisingly left a great legacy, leaving us the "güira", which is a an authentic dominican instrument and is used in all our music.

Though mexicans and dominicans are phenotypically different, culturally, we are more similar than people give us credit for. The same with central america!! Our architecture is similar, our holidays are basically the same, customs, manners, etc.

Dominicans are more outgoing and social, while mexicans are more reserved and quiet, but we aren't thaaat different.

Something else that is worth mentioning, is that mexicans love dominican music and dominicans love mexican music, especially all those ballads, guarachas, boleros, etc. It's to such a degree that bachata came from what was a dominican version of mexican boleros and guarachas. At least that's what it was back in the 60's when it all started.
Blame that first part on this man's regime: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Rafael-Trujillo

Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not a fact. The Dominican Republic is culturally Latin American, not African and the dominant contributing culture is Latin/Spanish.

This is what I'm critical of, experts who have never even been to the DR think they can lecture Dominicans on what their culture is based on.

You don't have the credentials or the actual experience to speak in this matter. Learn to speak in subjects in which you're qualified.
It is a fact. No amount of denial, crying, or strawmen fallacies with change that.

I speak Spanish (not fluently), am of Caribbean background, traveled the Caribbean, studied history, and have Dominicans in my family. What are your credentials? You live in DR for a year? You do not even know your own culture yet you want to speak on others.

ALL of the islands in the Caribbean are a mixture of European and African cultures (and East Indian for Trinidad). From Cuba out to Barbados down to Curacao. You don't have to like it, but its true.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:50 PM

175 posts, read 134,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
It is a fact. No amount of denial, crying, or strawmen fallacies with change that.

I speak Spanish (not fluently), am of Caribbean background, traveled the Caribbean, studied history, and have Dominicans in my family. What are your credentials? You live in DR for a year? You do not even know your own culture yet you want to speak on others.

ALL of the islands in the Caribbean are a mixture of European and African cultures (and East Indian for Trinidad). From Cuba out to Barbados down to Curacao. You don't have to like it, but its true.
Jamaica, St Lucia, Guadeloupe and a few others have East Indian influences as well but of course Trinidad has the largest Indian presence of the Caribbean islands.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:54 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
Jamaica, St Lucia, Guadeloupe and a few others have East Indian influences as well but of course Trinidad has the largest Indian presence of the Caribbean islands.
True. Indo Jamaicans have had a large influence that outweighs their numbers but I would say Jamaica is definitely primarily a mixture of African and British cultures. I am less familiar with the Eastern Caribbean islands, especially the French speaking ones.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Nobody is putting it in your face. Eres muy metiche! The ugly truth is that every race does it. Some are more covert than others.
Sí soy bien metiche... No tienen que ser *asuntos míos* porque la verdad es que los dominicanos hablan (gritan) de todo enfrente de todo el mundo. It's impossible for me to meddle because they put everything out there.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM

123 posts, read 103,595 times
Well I would definitely say there is African influence in the music and food (plantains) the religion some practice African religion there is also Spanish influence too in the language and religion also the way the women kiss on cheek and how openly affectionate Dominican women tend to be probably comes from Spaniards or Africans maybe even tainos point is I think there is strong Spanish and African influence there is even middle eastern influence in the DR (quipe is an example)

Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofllknowledge View Post
Well I would definitely say there is African influence in the music and food (plantains) the religion some practice African religion there is also Spanish influence too in the language and religion also the way the women kiss on cheek and how openly affectionate Dominican women tend to be probably comes from Spaniards or Africans maybe even tainos point is I think there is strong Spanish and African influence there is even middle eastern influence in the DR (quipe is an example)
Plantains and bananas are native to Southeast Asia, and not "Africa".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana

Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

I have Dominicans in my family, one of my formal fields of study is Latin American studies, and considerable experience in several Latin American countries.

As for my own culture, I don't know it because I reject claims of considerable African influence among the religion of contemporary African Americans? Yes, considerable African influence just isn't there. Afrocentrists will paint everything in the world as "Africa" when Africa itself is a bit of a fiction. There is no country called Africa and that's how some of you are using it. You have a great diversity of languages, religions, cultures, etc.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have Dominicans in my family, one of my formal fields of study is Latin American studies, and considerable experience in several Latin American countries.

As for my own culture, I don't know it because I reject claims of considerable African influence among the religion of contemporary African Americans? Yes, considerable African influence just isn't there. Afrocentrists will paint everything in the world as "Africa" when Africa itself is a bit of a fiction. There is no country called Africa and that's how some of you are using it. You have a great diversity of languages, religions, cultures, etc.
Yada yada yada. What are you not black? No wonder you're defending Dominicans so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City