Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 PM

26 posts, read 21,048 times

Advertisements

How are the job prospects for chemistry teachers? I currently have a BA in chemistry but have decided that teaching might be a good fit for me. I don't want to rush into getting a M.Ed because I am worried about job prospects in NY. I have also considered other careers such as accounting and engineering but it seems like getting a job in any field is difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
You may want to check out career with DOE.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
Not sure if it's currently active (I think it was put on hold a few years ago but it may have resumed), but look into The NYC Teaching Fellows. They're specifically looking for people with Bacehlor's degrees in match and sciences, they'll put you through an intensive training program over the summer (which includes obtaining your teaching license) and you'll begin teaching in the fall while you attend school for a subsidized Master's. You'll have missed the cut off for this school year obviously, but it's not a fast process to get in so if you start researching now, you may be able to apply for next year. I know a few people who went through the program and loved it.

Teach America has a simialr program.

Not sure if you can teach in NYC with just a B.S. in a scientific field, I don't know what the requirements are for a NYS teaching license. But definitely check out opportunities with the DOE...it's incredibly difficult work but if you have an aptitude for it and can make it a career, the benefits and eventual pension are worth it.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis92 View Post
How are the job prospects for chemistry teachers? I currently have a BA in chemistry but have decided that teaching might be a good fit for me. I don't want to rush into getting a M.Ed because I am worried about job prospects in NY. I have also considered other careers such as accounting and engineering but it seems like getting a job in any field is difficult.
Maybe look at private/parochial schools. Public schools will usually want you to have certain requirements done. Many probably won't look at you without being enrolled in a MSEd program. And there are some tests you have to take ahead of time.

Science is usually considered "in demand" and you'd have better luck getting a position if you enrolled in something like Teaching Fellows.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
You don't need an M.Ed. to land a job as a chemistry teacher in NYS. You'll need the M.Ed. if you want permanent certification.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You don't need an M.Ed. to land a job as a chemistry teacher in NYS. You'll need the M.Ed. if you want permanent certification.
Yes, but a lot of places won't even bother to look at you if they don't see your enrolled in some type of program. Unless you know someone, which OP probably does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City