Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:57 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
The new landlord probably wants you out so they can renovate and subsequently charge a much higher rent. .

or knock down the building to build another luxury highrise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
Nywriterdude you keyboard warrior, this is nyc i hope you encounter someone "For instance tomorrow morning I'll get up nice and early, take a walk down over to the bank and... walk in and see and, uh... if you don't have my money for me, I'll... crack your ****in' head wide-open in front of everybody in the bank. And just about the time that I'm comin' out of jail, hopefully, you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what? I'll split your ****cin' head open again. 'Cause I'm ****in' stupid. I don't give a **** about jail. That's my business. That's what I do." then hopefully you will whats right.
haha

Old 09-03-2016, 01:57 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I hope in all this that someone said that one of the obvious avenues would be to contact Department for the Aging.

Department for the Aging

Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
or knock down the building to build another luxury highrise!
Heh, yeah. I was thinking that too which is why I added another sentence about how the new landlord could be making more substantial changes.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:23 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
To the OP: it's too bad you don't have a rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartment.
If you did, as someone over 62, not only would it be VERY hard to get you evicted/kicked out of the apartment, you would also be immune from any rent hikes after the age of 62 (via a program called SCRIE): http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/se...xemption-scrie

Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
there are income restrictions on the program that makes you immune to rent increases .

just being 62 is not the deal . household income has to be below 50k and there is a percentage of income requirement .

"To be eligible:

the tenant, or the older spouse of the tenant, must be 62 or older
household income must be less than $50,000 "
the rent must be at least 1/3 of the household income as of the time of the application or as of the effective date of an upcoming rent increase "

we don't qualify under those terms .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-04-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 AM

91 posts, read 109,646 times
[quote]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I don't understand this mentality. Why would the OP even take his landlord to court? He's been given 60 days notice, more than enough time to find a new place. Why can't people act like grown ups and do the right thing, move? Why must everything be about gaming the system, and forcing yourself on someone else's property?
really just move wtf ????/

Old 09-04-2016, 08:58 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
this is why we sold our real estate off and do not want to be landlords anymore . to much crap dealing with tenants and regulations . we want nothing to do with tenants during our retirement if we can help it .

Old 09-04-2016, 08:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
We should not have to do all this guessing. If OP wants advice, he should be more forthcoming about his situation.
We ask questions, he answers them. Having him ignore simple pertinent questions is a waste of everyone's time.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
We should not have to do all this guessing. If OP wants advice, he should be more forthcoming about his situation.
We ask questions, he answers them. Having him ignore simple pertinent questions is a waste of everyone's time.
He answered quite a few questions here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm1960 View Post
I have been in the apt for 31 years. It is not rent controlled. I pay by check each month. The landlord loves me; I always pay the rent on time; never cause a problem - she hardly ever hears from me except when something is broken (like the boiler in the basement, for ex)

The landlord has sold the building, and although she has talked me up to the new owner, the new owner wants to get me and the other tenant out. Why, I do not know. I told this person I would be willing to take a rent hike to stay, but the answer was no. Maybe they have family they want to have live there? I don't know.

Thank you for the lawyer referral service idea - I will give them a call on Tues., and see if I can talk to someone who may have an idea or two. I am 68 years old. I am not looking for 'special privileges' - it's just that I want to know my rights and want to ensure I am not forced to leave on what I would consider short notice. Maybe a lawyer can advise me there. I don't want to move (familiarity, convenience), but am not opposed to it. It's just that rent is so high nowadays, I am concerned that it may take me longer than I have time. To some of you, two months may seem adequate, but when you are forced to leave, and MUST find a place in what is basically 60 days, that time frame all of a sudden does not seem so adequate. I guess it's hard to understand unless you have been there.

I have started looking, and tho there are a few leads that look promising, there are no guarantees that they will work out. I will keep looking. It's just a little scary when there is so little time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City