Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I don't think it's so much miniorities, it's unproductive minorities which makes a certain section the hood. I like living in a area where everyone wakes up and go to school or work everyday.
and you find that pretty much in every minority neighborhood where opportunity is available. Like I said NYC is not true "ghetto". I mean who you think pays bills, how do everyone keep their lights on, you may be able to use WIC on lobster but not to Con Ed. Everyone in minority communities are selling drugs, I guess.

I'm not denying there are suspect places, but a whole neighborhood does not fit into the ghetto/hood paranoia just because it's largely minority. my block is beautiful and "hood" it is not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:15 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
and you find that pretty much in every minority neighborhood where opportunity is available. Like I said NYC is not true "ghetto". I mean who you think pays bills, how do everyone keep their lights on, you may be able to use WIC on lobster but not to Con Ed. Everyone in minority communities are selling drugs, I guess.

I'm not denying there are suspect places, but a whole neighborhood does not fit into the ghetto/hood paranoia just because it's largely minority. my block is beautiful and "hood" it is not
True there are working class areas where (minorities or not) working people go to work or school.

But there are also people getting Section 8 and at least one large NYCHA project in Bed Stuy where, believe me, a lot of able-bodied adults don't work or go to school, and subsist on public assistance.
Others get "SSI", often unwarranted (many are able to work, but don't want to).

Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
True there are working class areas where (minorities or not) working people go to work or school.

But there are also people getting Section 8 and at least one large NYCHA project in Bed Stuy where, believe me, a lot of able-bodied adults don't work or go to school, and subsist on public assistance.
Others get "SSI", often unwarranted (many are able to work, but don't want to).
There's two large NYCHA developments in Red Hook. Farragut is right around the corner from million dollar condos, prime real estate downtown/fort Greene. Greenpoint/Williamsburg has about 4/5. Bed stuy just so happens to be one of the biggest subsections in Brooklyn, more land to build NYCHA in minority neighborhoods. Like I said bed-stuy was very much a ghetto neighborhood years ago, when houses were going for 100k, we are not looking at the same bedstuy.

I haven't seen any statistics on how many adults are not working in NYCHA. I mean, if so many people weren't working I mean my morning commute on the train wouldn't be that bad. Also I would think there would be vast amounts of people in 12-15 story buildings wondering around with nothing to do. As someone who walks past constantly that's not case.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times
Quote:
There's two large NYCHA developments in Red Hook. Farragut is right around the corner from million dollar condos, prime real estate downtown/fort Greene. Greenpoint/Williamsburg has about 4/5. Bed stuy just so happens to be one of the biggest subsections in Brooklyn, more land to build NYCHA in minority neighborhoods. Like I said bed-stuy was very much a ghetto neighborhood years ago, when houses were going for 100k, we are not looking at the same bedstuy.

I haven't seen any statistics on how many adults are not working in NYCHA. I mean
You can look at someone and tell if they are productive or not.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
You can look at someone and tell if they are productive or not.
Sure you can, and too many unproductive people is ghetto. But all these white adults playing Pokemon go all day with out a job is so productive. Funny how minorities are looked at with magnifying glasses.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
There's two large NYCHA developments in Red Hook. .
I know.
That's why I never wanted to live there (even if I could afford it).

Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times
Quote:
Sure you can, and too many unproductive people is ghetto. But all these white adults playing Pokemon go all day with out a job is so productive. Funny how minorities are looked at with magnifying glasses.
Unproductive looks bad on any grown person regardless of race.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 PM

Now if you said I don't want people selling drugs in front of my house, that's different.

But nope too many "unproductive" minorities is the problem. Why do you even care what the next person is doing or not doing as long as your safety isn't compromised or your life is effected in anyway. I hope you live in Long Island as to not see any other souls.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:39 PM

I think many people are afraid that there is a higher crime rate around NYCHA projects.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,366 times
it's slang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City