Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

A lot of the Bronx is a 30 min. train ride to Manhattan and is not car-centric, but other parts are more auto reliant. I actually think that the Yankee Stadium area has more chance of gentrifying than areas farther south such as Mott Haven because it's just so unattractive with so much poor quality construction. It's a shame, I would have loved to have seen that part of the BX back in the day before the destruction, but it is what it is. There are some nice looking blocks, but so few unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 01:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
A lot of the Bronx is a 30 min. train ride to Manhattan and is not car-centric, but other parts are more auto reliant. I actually think that the Yankee Stadium area has more chance of gentrifying than areas farther south such as Mott Haven because it's just so unattractive with so much poor quality construction. It's a shame, I would have loved to have seen that part of the BX back in the day before the destruction, but it is what it is. There are some nice looking blocks, but so few unfortunately.
Bronx became a car centric borough due to the the construction of the cross Bronx expressway and the demolishing of the 3rd Avenue El. Both events changed the Bronx forever. You should brush up on your Bronx history. Yankee Stadium area will receive the same amount of gentrification and attention as mott haven. Both areas offer easy access to manhattan. So don't you worry.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bronx became a car centric borough due to the the construction of the cross Bronx expressway and the demolishing of the 3rd Avenue El. Both events changed the Bronx forever. You should brush up on your Bronx history. Yankee Stadium area will receive the same amount of gentrification and attention as mott haven. Both areas offer easy access to manhattan. So don't you worry.
I have studied the history actually (I have a degree in Urban Planning) , but I would have an opinion either way. I have lived in the NW Bronx with and without a car and found that it's easier not to have one. Same when I lived in Upper Manhattan in Inwood. Car ownership in the Bronx is overall not that different from Brooklyn, although in both boroughs, subway access varies greatly by neighborhood.

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

I honestly do think that existing housing stock and development are a big impediment for the South Bronx. Most people do care about aesthetics, and this is something that is not easily changed.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
I have studied the history actually (I have a degree in Urban Planning) , but I would have an opinion either way. I have lived in the NW Bronx with and without a car and found that it's easier not to have one. Same when I lived in Upper Manhattan in Inwood. Car ownership in the Bronx is overall not that different from Brooklyn, although in both boroughs, subway access varies greatly by neighborhood.

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

I honestly do think that existing housing stock and development are a big impediment for the South Bronx. Most people do care about aesthetics, and this is something that is not easily changed.
I disagree, Williansburg and Greenpoint aren't that nice looking.

But The Bronx has plenty of subway, and unlike Queens it goes all the way into the outskirty areas like Wakefield. Most of the South Bronx is a reasonably commute to Midtown Manhattan.

But Long Island, at least Nassau is NOT a cheap alternative to NYC at all, the rents in bad LI neighborhoods are not even as low as the worst NYC neighborhoods.

Plus, living in a NYC ghetto blows living in a LI ghetto out of the water.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I disagree, Williansburg and Greenpoint aren't that nice looking.

But The Bronx has plenty of subway, and unlike Queens it goes all the way into the outskirty areas like Wakefield. Most of the South Bronx is a reasonably commute to Midtown Manhattan.

But Long Island, at least Nassau is NOT a cheap alternative to NYC at all, the rents in bad LI neighborhoods are not even as low as the worst NYC neighborhoods.

Plus, living in a NYC ghetto blows living in a LI ghetto out of the water.
For me, the South Bronx is on another level. When we were looking to buy, I really wanted to like it, but the development felt really chaotic. I think that in a lot of places, inconsistencies in the street wall (in terms of heights, setbacks and scale in relation to the street width) have something to do with it beyond the individual building level. I spent a decent amount of time in Greenpoint years ago and could have imagined myself living in the less industrial areas if it wasn't for the G train.

The Bronx has gotten a lot more expensive in recent years, not in comparison to Brooklyn or Queens, but rents have gone up a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Generally I think prices in the city are nuts. Salaries have not kept up--I don't know how it's possible except that people are more over-extended than ever.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was saying this on another thread. These millenial hipsters will not live any farther than a 30 minute commute to work. Nobody can name a neighborhood on here that is more than a 30 minute train ride from the Financial District or Midtown that has gentrified.
Red Hook?

Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
^ No trains.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:49 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
This is one bad-ass apartment:

1020 Grand Concourse #12T, Bronx, NY For Sale | Trulia.com

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Red Hook?
I would say Red Hook is more yuppy than hipsters....Hipsters don't have million dollar townhouse money.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2016, 04:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
For me, the South Bronx is on another level. When we were looking to buy, I really wanted to like it, but the development felt really chaotic. I think that in a lot of places, inconsistencies in the street wall (in terms of heights, setbacks and scale in relation to the street width) have something to do with it beyond the individual building level. I spent a decent amount of time in Greenpoint years ago and could have imagined myself living in the less industrial areas if it wasn't for the G train.

The Bronx has gotten a lot more expensive in recent years, not in comparison to Brooklyn or Queens, but rents have gone up a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Generally I think prices in the city are nuts. Salaries have not kept up--I don't know how it's possible except that people are more over-extended than ever.
Increases cost of utilities, insurances and property taxes is a direct cause for landlords to raise rents in some cases. But not so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City