Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM

28 posts, read 141,391 times

Advertisements

Hey all
I'll be moving into the city this summer. My job is in NJ and I would like to commute daily by car since the NJ transit to this place is not regular. I had a couple of questions:
1) How much would I need to budget for car insurance? I know it depends on the car and style but just to get an average idea
2) I'd prefer to park in a garage as I need to access my car readily esp in the morn. How much do these cost on a monthly basis say in the UWS or midtown west?
Some people will call me crazy that I will be commuting daily. But for me the whole point in moving to NYC was to get the "full" experience and that is living in Manhattan (no offense to the other bourough'ites; its just my opinion and not necessarily true to others). My morn commute sround 6-615am should not be a prob but my return ie b/w 3-5 in the eve is sure to be a killer. It will give me plenty of time with NPR or maybe even the audio books.
Anyway I am very excited about moving to NYC. Would appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 04:43 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I see parking all the time at lots listed at around $400/mo in those areas.

Car insurance would be based on a whole bunch of factors... I'd definitely say expect $150/mo+

Where in NJ are you commuting to?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
You can use http://www.nycgarages.com to get an idea of where parking garages are and their rates. I can't comment on car insurance rates but I think it's safe to say that with parking, car insurance, and tolls all added up it'll cost you $1,000-1,500/mon to keep your car.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
You can use Compare Parking Rates Daily/Monthly Garages Lots NYC Boston New York to get an idea of where parking garages are and their rates. I can't comment on car insurance rates but I think it's safe to say that with parking, car insurance, and tolls all added up it'll cost you $1,000-1,500/mon to keep your car.
That website is great! There is a garage by Central Park charging over $1k/mo just for parking!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I think it's safe to say that with parking, car insurance, and tolls all added up it'll cost you $1,000-1,500/mon to keep your car.
This might be high.

Tolls are at least $6 per workday, more if using the NJT or Parkway. But that's only $125 a month or so, and there's an EZ pass discount for regular users. Parking could probably be had for 400 or maybe less if you park on the far west side, like 57th and 11th. That would be a total of $525. I don't think the insurance is going to be $500-1000. I was quoted $159 a month in Long Island City (I'm 32 with a clean record), but I do have a friend in Manhattan with some tickets who pays almost $400 a month. Depends on a lot of things, obviously: coverage desired, age, record, miles driven, garaged or not.

I'd assume a little over a $1,000 a month for parking, tolls, insurance, and gas. Not clear how deep into Jersey you're going but you'll burn a lot in 3-5 pm traffic.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Actually, I think that $1000/month, if you consider maintenance and everything like insurance, etc. reasonable. That's why I got rid of my car when I came back home to Manhattan. In the ten years since I came back, I've figured that I've save $100,000 by NOT having a car....

Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 141,391 times
Thanks for the quick responses! My commute is going to be about 30-40mins without traffic so I guess the return would be twice as long.
I didnt think it would be so expensive. Might have to increase my budget allocation for my car payments + extras. How much would I shell out for a decent 1BR apt in the UWS/Hels Kitchen area?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM

For a true 1BR? $2k+

Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indodoc View Post
How much would I shell out for a decent 1BR apt in the UWS/Hels Kitchen area?
Define "decent."

Quote:
My morn commute sround 6-615am should not be a prob but my return ie b/w 3-5 in the eve is sure to be a killer. It will give me plenty of time with NPR or maybe even the audio books.
Audio books, another expense of commuting. I love NPR as much as anyone and probably more than most, but the Lincoln Tunnel is a radio dead zone, and IIRC, ditto the Holland.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Hey all
I'll be moving into the city this summer. My job is in NJ and I would like to commute daily by car since the NJ transit to this place is not regular. I had a couple of questions:
1) How much would I need to budget for car insurance? I know it depends on the car and style but just to get an average idea
2) I'd prefer to park in a garage as I need to access my car readily esp in the morn. How much do these cost on a monthly basis say in the UWS or midtown west?
Some people will call me crazy that I will be commuting daily. But for me the whole point in moving to NYC was to get the "full" experience and that is living in Manhattan (no offense to the other bourough'ites; its just my opinion and not necessarily true to others). My morn commute sround 6-615am should not be a prob but my return ie b/w 3-5 in the eve is sure to be a killer. It will give me plenty of time with NPR or maybe even the audio books.
Anyway I am very excited about moving to NYC. Would appreciate any input.
This is going to be costly. Hopefully, you will be making a very GOOD salary, and a chunk of it will definitely go towards the maintenance/commute.

The cost of insurance will depend where you live, how old you are, your driving record and what you drive. It can run you over 1k-2k depending on my previous factors. Also, take into consideration gas to and from work, and the tolls. The wear and tear on the vehicle as well. The garage is going to be like half of a rent!

It is costly to maintain a car in Manhattan. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City